Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2006 6:50:08 AM EDT
I have enough firearms for me, and the NFA stuff looks interesting. I don’t have thousands to drop at one time, so I’m looking for suggestions as the best way to start.

Final goal is to have a 9mm suppressed SBR AR, a CZ75 9mm suppressed, a CZ Kadet 22lr suppressed, and a suppressed 22lr AR upper.

Basically, I want a SBR registered lower, a 9mm can for the AR and CZ, and a 22lr can for the 22lr’s.

So which item would you consider first and why?  SBR or cans?

What newbie mistakes am I making?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#2]
The process is similar for both an SBR and a suppressor. Identical in fact, if you are buying the SBR ready made. If you are building it yourself it a different form and there are some practical things you have to do such as engraving the receiver.

IMHO, start with a .22LR can (it will get more use, and will be most impressive in the level of suppression):

This photo is of a CZ Kadet owned by a local ARFCOM member -- we did a group purchase of .22LR cans from a local manufacturer.

Do some research on exactly what can you want to buy, find a local distributor if possible, if not, find a class III FFL -- look around for one who doesn't charge an arm and a leg for the transfer fee. The sad truth about .22LR suppressors is that the NFA Tax, and FFL fees can add up to as much, if not more, than the cost of the suppressor itself.

The FFL or dealer will giude you through filling in the form -- but check the M16-Full Auto group, they have some detailed descriptions of how to fill in the various forms.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#3]
About 3 days after I submitted my Form 1 to my CLEO for a SBR I wished I would of got a can instead.

Definately getting a can next.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Cans.

My SBR is gathering dust as we speak.

TRG

This is why after the .22 and 9mm can I am getting a .223 can for the SBR
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you use a can designed for 223 on a 22lr, or is the size difference too much to put on a 22 lr pistol?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I woul agree that a good .22 can is the first thing I would get.    It was the last thing I got... just yesterday, as a matter of fact.   But I can already tell it will get th most use... well except for my MP5.

A good .22 suppressor only costs $300, and will provide years and years of fun.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the ideas...I'll keep checking back here for a few days. Right now, I'm leaning towards a 22 lr. can and having TROS do the Kadet.  I forgot that I have a 10/22 that I haven't shot in a year that I could use it on.

Now to find a local dealer...any recommendation for the D/FW area?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is my can plan

AAC Pilot + P22 and thread my ruger 10/22

AAC Evo-9 + Glock 19

.223 can of somesort + AR SBR
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#10]
When you get the can, can you use it on more than one weapon?

For example, lets say you get a .22 can and have a Ruger .22 and a Browing .22 - can you use it for either pistol, or is the registration of the can specific for the weapon?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for the ideas...I'll keep checking back here for a few days. Right now, I'm leaning towards a 22 lr. can and having TROS do the Kadet.  I forgot that I have a 10/22 that I haven't shot in a year that I could use it on.

There you go!   TROS (Mark McWillis) is great!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top