Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/4/2019 11:09:14 AM EDT
I think I'm going to buy one of these...

Thoughts, opinions, alternatives and advice?

Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one and it is a hoot to shoot. One of only a handful of black powder revolvers powerful enough to be legal to hunt deer in MD, which is why I bought it. But I never got a deer with it. At 25 yards I was able to get all my shots on an 8" target. Went out with it for deer but never got a good opportunity on a deer.

It is HEAVY. Even with a strong load it feels like shooting a .38 spl in a GP 100.

I but the bullet and bought the 45LC cylinder for it so I can shoot it at an indoor range. It gets looks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the dragoon (have both)

The Walker is a big beast, but the ramrod lever has an annoying habit of flipping down after every shot.

On the dragoon, the ramrod lever is actually mechanically fixed to the underside of the barrel.

Like this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I thought so, I don't know how I missed it.  I guess I'm getting old, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Walker is a big beast, but the ramrod lever has an annoying habit of flipping down after every shot.

On the dragoon, the ramrod lever is actually mechanically fixed to the underside of the barrel.

Like this:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171820/Capture_PNG-768536.JPG
View Quote
Yeah, I read about that problem, and some of the fixes people have used.  It's funny, it's a design problem dating back to the originals, calvary soldiers had the same problem.  Some of them used leather straps to keep the ramrod in place.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#6]
If I found a good deal on one, I would buy it.  I may even shoot it once before hanging it on the wall.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, I read about that problem, and some of the fixes people have used.  It's funny, it's a design problem dating back to the originals, calvary soldiers had the same problem.  Some of them used leather straps to keep the ramrod in place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this:

I've heard about the problem, but I haven't had a chance to study up on any of the fixes. Are any of the fixes worthwhile?

I was hefting one over the weekend, and I kind of have a hankering for one now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I had one, but I sold it on the EE.  I never got around to finding all the stuff you need to shoot them and it gathered dust for a long time so I sold it.

It would be nice if someone would produce full cartridges like what was available during that time period.  Basically a paper sack with the powder and ball in it already.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Plum sexy
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm thinking about getting the 1851 Navy

Was hoping to see it on sale for christmas but no luck so far
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Some people get a couple pieces of copper that are soldered together.   One slips over the barrel and the other the loading lever.  They slip over the barrel and loading lever to prevent Glock Jaw.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Have fun for hours of cleaning for minutes of shooting
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#15]
They are heavy, The loading lever drops every time you shoot.

But they are fun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#16]
One thing I found interesting was that when loaded to its full, originally intended power they say no pistol exceeded its ballistics until the .357 Magnum.

Of course, it was often downloaded anyway which is why it was so short lived and low production and gave way to the later Dragoon models.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#17]
3rd model Dagoon has a lever latch and is the same size .
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've heard about the problem, but I haven't had a chance to study up on any of the fixes. Are any of the fixes worthwhile?

I was hefting one over the weekend, and I kind of have a hankering for one now.
View Quote
One of the fixes looks like it might not be too much of a problem.  It's hard to describe without pictures, but the spring clasp that holds the ramrod in place is rounded on the end.  I've seen several people who've fixed the problem by taking a straight file and putting a small shelf or flat surface on it so it catches better.  One of the guys put too much of a shelf on the spring clasp and couldn't get it to release by hand.  He ended up fixing it by doing some extra filing to round it back out a little.

Some of the guns hold better than others.  But it is a design flaw dating back to the originals.  As someone already said in a post, when the Dragoon was produced Colt added a mechanical latch to fix the problem.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
3rd model Dagoon has a lever latch and is the same size .
View Quote
What I read was the Army wanted the Walker, but it was too heavy.  So Colt went back to the drawing board, and shortened both the cylinder and barrel, shaving 7 ozs off the gun and creating the Dragoon.

Josey Wales used Walkers, maybe I'll get two.

Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a dragoon and still have it , it is .50 Cal. !

It can take 70 grs per cyinder ..... and a .50 ball .
Never seen another one .
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Never seen another one .
View Quote
A quick Google yielded nothing.  Who made your Dragoon?  Was it a one off, custom job?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought the Walker held 50 gr. and the Dragoon 40 or so.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:08:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I thought the Walker held 50 gr. and the Dragoon 40 or so.
View Quote
From what I can tell, in my limited research, it's somewhat controversial.  Because the Walker had a longer cylinder with ball, it can easily accommodate a 60 gr load, less for conical shaped bullets.  This resulted in about 1/3rd of the original Walkers blowing up, since soldiers would load the max powder, despite Colt recommending a load of no more than .50 grs.   The cylinder blowouts probably had more to do with the metallurgy of the time.

Uberti recommends no more than 60 or 58 gr, I think, I'd have to go back and reread that.  But I've read several comments from owners that loads under 50 gr actually are somewhat more accurate.

So yeah, the Dragoon was about a half lb lighter than the Walker, Colt accomplished this by making the barrel and cylinder shorter, so the Dragoons couldn't accommodate the larger loads of the Walker.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Never seen another one .
View Quote
Back in the 80's in my reenacting days there was a Sutler selling .50 Dragoons, being a youngster with no cash I wasn't able to buy one. I wish I would have though.

I have a Walker, its fun to shoot!
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I had one, it shot meh—the loading lever almost always dropped down in recoil, locking the cylinder so I had to push the lever up to cock the pistol.

It was a riot, tho!  I think it took 60 grains of 3Fg powder & I used both round ball & conical.

Maybe I should have used a lower charge?  If I recall correctly, 70 gr. was the typical load, which was what I was shooting out of my .45 cal CVA Kentucky long replica. I got rid of that, too, in favor of .50 cal Green Mountain Barreled Hawkin that can take more powder.

As noted, instant rust forms with hot water.  And my wife thought I was childish for talking about pricking my nipples to keep the flash hole clean.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#27]
2 guns carried on pommel holsters while riding on horse back.

Fire your rifle, fire your pistols, club the enemy with the pistols, draw your sword - count the dead.

Put a little rubber band around the barrel to hold the lever up when shooting, nobody's reloading from horseback.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#28]
It factory , it is an Armi San Marcos .

I bought it at Old West Arms on Federal St. in Denver .
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Was watching Fist Full of Dollars last night and now I need to buy a Colt SAA
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Someone earlier in the thread asked how you make cartridges for these black powder guns.  I've come across a number of ways, some historical, some not.  Some seem more tedious than others, but then I came across this guys video.

For ball loads this seems about as simple and easy as it gets.

Rolling .36 cap & ball revolver cartridges

I don't think this method would work very well for any of the conical loads, but it sure looks a lot easier than some of the methods I've seen for those.

Interesting note, civil war veterans actually reported a preference for ball loads over the conical loads in these revolvers because they believed ball loads delivered more knockdown power and were still fairly accurate out to 75 yards.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I went ahead and ordered 2 Uberti Walkers, because you need two.  

I found an online retailer I've never used before, once all the discounts and codes where used each came out to about $330 delivered, which was a fairly good price compared to other retailers who wanted $425 or more.  I guess I'll see if they deliver.

It's not an expensive proposition to shoot these guns.

If you're so inclined you can cast your balls and bullets and make your own black powder fairly cheap.  As far as the percussion caps go, they're dirt cheap just to buy, but if you're really into making your own stuff you can even make those.  Honestly for the SHTF types, having a black powder gun would be the ultimate backup.  They're lethal, you can hunt with them, and if you had to you could make everything you need to fire them free or on the cheap.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I found an online retailer I've never used before, once all the discounts and codes where used each came out to about $330 delivered, which was a fairly good price compared to other retailers who wanted $425 or more.  I guess I'll see if they deliver.
View Quote
@Qweevox
Link?
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@Qweevox
Link?
View Quote
link sent, but keep in mind, I've never bought from this outfit before, so I'm not endorsing them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

link sent, but keep in mind, I've never bought from this outfit before, so I'm not endorsing them.  
View Quote
Thanks, I think I bought stuff off them years ago.   I'm going to see if I ever made an account.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a Walker I bought new for $250 five years ago, I love it, especially when using real black powder.

If you like the big black powder guns, don’t google Pedersoli Howdah 20ga.  Throwing .615” lead balls down range with black powder is a blast.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link too, please?  I’m up for looking at more black powder guns.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Link too, please?  I’m up for looking at more black powder guns.
View Quote
Link sent
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Link sent
View Quote
Share the wealth brother!

IM out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#40]
That revolver is in the John Wayne museum in Winterset Iowa.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#41]
My brother has one and used to shoot it alot. He did have a problem with it not timing correctly after a while but was able to have it fixed
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#42]
So, I got the Uberti Walkers today.

All I can say is these are big guns.  I don't want to sound like a wimp but I can honestly say I don't think I quite appreciated how 4.5 lbs would feel at the end of my arm.  Definitely not a gunslingers weapon, it is a saddle pistol.  Also, I think what makes it feel so uncomfortably heavy is the grip. It's too thin and small, making it somewhat uncomfortable to grip.  Definitely a grip for a smaller man from the mid-19th century.

It's pretty well made, I'm actually kind of impressed that the Italians can deliver this amount of gun for the price point.  At this point I'm fairly pleased.  Of course I have zero experience with black powder guns, so I'm not sure what my opinion is worth.

My loading lever is pretty tight, but of course it hasn't been fired yet, so I can see how the little clasp might not do the job down the road.  The action is smooth, and the gun feels very solid.

It feels kind of weird just having Fedex deliver a new gun to my door.  I wish it were this convenient for all firearms.  I kind of wish I hadn't bought two of these, one might eventually find it's way on EE, or maybe I'll give it to my son, or maybe I'll just keep them for those Josey Wales moments.  I probably would have been happier with one of the smaller 44's, like the 1860 Army, I don't think 4.5 lbs on the end of my arm, with the small grip, isn't going to be fun to shoot.  Even the somewhat lighter Dragoon might have been better choice.

But all in all, so far, I'm happy with this gun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm glad that they showed up and are looking good. How was the bluing?

I was checking out a Walker about the time that you started this thread. They are a huge, historic beast that I will probably get at some point.

That same day, my wife and son each picked up a 1851 Navy, steel frame. I ended up with the 1860, it fit my hand. The 1851 didn't feel right in my hand. After shooting one of their revolvers,  I might like it and get my own.

One of the Navy's and the Army

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm glad that they showed up and are looking good. How was the bluing?

I was checking out a Walker about the time that you started this thread. They are a huge, historic beast that I will probably get at some point.

That same day, my wife and son each picked up a 1851 Navy, steel frame. I ended up with the 1860, it fit my hand. The 1851 didn't feel right in my hand. After shooting one of their revolvers,  I might like it and get my own.

One of the Navy's and the Army

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24999/20181209_103319-1_jpg-777039.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24999/20181209_102730-1_jpg-777040.JPG
View Quote
They are huge guns.

As to the finish, I think it's fine for a gun in this price range. Not the most beautiful job I've ever seen, but certainly not the worse.  I imagine the frame, hammer and loading lever will grey with use and age, but right now in it's unfired state they've got that nice mottled blue, purple, and hints of yellow of heat bluing.   The barrel and cylinder are flawlessly dark.  I guess you could say there are no surprises, the guns look like their pictures.

I might send one to Goon Gun Works, the guy is supposed to be good at tuning these pistols, and fixing some their known issues, but I'll probably shoot it for awhile before I decide to do that or not.

One thing I like about the Ubertis is they don't stamp Black Powder Only were it's visible all the time, it's tucked away under the loading lever.  The only small stamp on the outside of the gun is US 1847 right above the wedge on the right side of the gun.

If this spontaneous interest of mine sticks, I think I'd like to get 1860 Army.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's not an expensive proposition to shoot these guns.

If you're so inclined you can cast your balls and bullets and make your own black powder fairly cheap.  As far as the percussion caps go, they're dirt cheap just to buy, but if you're really into making your own stuff you can even make those.  Honestly for the SHTF types, having a black powder gun would be the ultimate backup. They're lethal, you can hunt with them, and if you had to you could make everything you need to fire them free or on the cheap.
View Quote
I would suggest a Benjamin Marauder in 22 or 25  and a hand pump.  There are ways to make your own pellets and I think this would be a hell of a lot safer than making your own black powder.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I had a friend send his off somewhere for a cartridge conversion. They did a really nice job with the loading gate and reblue.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I had a friend send his off somewhere for a cartridge conversion. They did a really nice job with the loading gate and reblue.
View Quote
Yeah, you can have this done.

http://www.kirstkonverter.com/colt-walker-dragoons.html

But damn, it'll set you back almost the cost of the gun.  If you don't do it yourself, you're looking at around $800 - $1,000 all in.  If cartridges are what someone wants, I think there are better options.

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/cartridge-revolvers.html
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They are huge guns.

As to the finish, I think it's fine for a gun in this price range. Not the most beautiful job I've ever seen, but certainly not the worse.  I imagine the frame, hammer and loading lever will grey with use and age, but right now in it's unfired state they've got that nice mottled blue, purple, and hints of yellow of heat bluing.   The barrel and cylinder are flawlessly dark.  I guess you could say there are no surprises, the guns look like their pictures.

I might send one to Goon Gun Works, the guy is supposed to be good at tuning these pistols, and fixing some their known issues, but I'll probably shoot it for awhile before I decide to do that or not.

One thing I like about the Ubertis is they don't stamp Black Powder Only were it's visible all the time, it's tucked away under the loading lever.  The only small stamp on the outside of the gun is US 1847 right above the wedge on the right side of the gun.

If this spontaneous interest of mine sticks, I think I'd like to get 1860 Army.
View Quote
The Italian repro-makers are all producing good stuff for the price point these days. They've all stepped up; quality has increased across the board from the old days (which weren't bad, just worse).

I tend to prefer Pietta's Colt repros (1851 Navy/1860 Army), and Uberti's Remingtons. You can also get a factory cartridge-conversion Remington from Uberti.

If you don't have a SAA, get one of those too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I would suggest a Benjamin Marauder in 22 or 25  and a hand pump.  There are ways to make your own pellets and I think this would be a hell of a lot safer than making your own black powder.
View Quote
There is no doubt that playing with air is safer than playing with combustables.

But honestly, if you take reasonable precautions, and take the time to educate yourself, making black powder is relatively safe and simple.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:08:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Like this:

View Quote
That is the problem with it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top