Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2018 11:32:03 AM EDT
I've wanted one of these for a long time, but they go for $550-600 most of the time new and $400+ used, and I just didn't want one that badly.
Went browsing at the shop that hosts a local tac pistol match after the match and saw this in the case; asked what they wanted for it and they came back with $200. So I fent.
Ended up $217 OTD.

Attachment Attached File

Has some pitting on the outside of the barrel, but the bore, lock, stock and hardware all look great, so I'm happy with it.

.58 caliber Pedersoli Harper's Ferry pistol, a copy of the U.S. 1805 Harper's Ferry pistol, with the interesting inaccuracy that while the originals were smoothbore these are rifled.

Anyone have one of these?
If so, what are you shooting?
I'm figuring on starting with 30gr FFF and .575 with a .010" patch, will probably try 35gr, 40gr and maybe even 45gr if I'm feeling especially frisky.
whichever is most accurate for me will be what I settle on.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Good find! I've always wanted a Harpers Ferry rifle, it would be great to have both.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, looks fun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I got an unfinished one for Christmas that needs some polishing and sanding/staining.

I got a while, but I want to do some research on how they finished the wood in the day when it comes time to do mine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#4]
That's sweet! I did some time on the Harpers Ferry. Maiden voyage actually.

I know....not really related.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice find! I have eyed pedersolis queen anne for a couple of years, even bought silver wire to do inlay on the grip. Just haven't brought myself to squeeze out the money for it. Someday...

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Great deal!  Good job. I’m sure one can shoot 50 grains of powder with no ill effects in this .58 pipe.  That barrel has a lot of steel (it’s thick) in it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#7]
That's about the load I'm using- a .45ACP case is about 25gr, and I use two scoops, so ~50gr.
It's warm, but not at all unpleasant. One of these days I'll actually get a chronometer and see just what my muzzleloaders are doing.

It seems to be pretty accurate, but since it doesn't have a rear sight I'm very much still getting used to it.

Decent trigger pull, and sparks nicely with a decent flint (need to order a few, only have the one good one in that size).

Next chance I get I need to make up loading boards for it and my Bess, and I've been meaning to make up some paper cartridges for the Bess, so I may do some for the pistol too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top