Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2008 3:16:12 PM EDT
Hello guys,

I'm a long time lurker, but decided to post because of this problem.

While going though some of my fathers guns I found a LOADED black powder pistol!  it has probably been loaded for 3 years is my quess (no caps on the nipple).  I was able to take the cylinder out, it has 6 chambers.  I don't have the pistol in front of me (at work) but I beleive it is a .32.  What is the best way to un load it?  I'm in the process of finding a smaller nipple wrench so I can take the nipples off to possibly pour out the powder.  Should I soak it in water to ruin the powder first?  

Thanks in advance,
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Once you get the nipples out, dump out as much powder out as possible then take a small brass rod (1/8" or so) that fits thru the nipple holes and tap the balls out with a hammer.

Dispose of the powder by spreading it on the lawn.

Or put some primers on the nipples and shoot it until empty.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Easy way put  primers on it and shoot it.

Take nipples out and push out the ball or use a ball puller. Since it is a pistol you should be able to use a 3 inch screw to pull it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Do not put water in the cylinders. I didn't realize I had drops of water in my flash holes from cleaning my pistol and while I seated the balls, a black grease made of wet Triple 7 oozed out the flash holes. I let it dry for a couple of days and then used a wire to open the holes and shot them clear. All of them fired, the balls cleared the muzzle, but some of the shots sounded weird adn I had a funky looking white fouling everywhere instead of black fouling. If you soak the powder, you'll end up with a hard, but brittle mass of fused blackpowder that will not budge without soaking in hot water for a long time, I imagine..And then you'll still have to remove the balls.

Cap it and shoot it. If it misfires, wait a minute or longer before cocking it and then take the nipples off and pick out what powder you can and then push the ball out with a brass rod..
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#4]
First, I would suggest buying a CO2 discharger; I bought one and it's the best money I ever spent.  You can use the wal-mart replacement cartridges for a lot cheaper than the ones the discharger companies try to sell you.

Failing that, get the correct sized nipple wrench and push the ball out with a brass rod.

You could always shoot 'em out too!
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
IM me if you want to sell it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top