Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2021 12:12:25 PM EDT
Purchased a K98 and it is missing a bolt.

Obviously been looking and they are $200-$400 alone.

Hard to justify it but a non complete gun isn't worth anything.

Hoping someone may have a spare or two in the parts lot and would be feeling generous. Doesn't have to be fancy, just want to complete it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a bolt body with a Circle Z stamp on the top of the piece that goes from the body to the knob.  There is no sure answer as to whether it is pre-war, wartime, or post war.  There is some speculation it is from a Spanish Civil War rifle supplied by the Czechs or the Poles.  But that is tenuous.

It does not have a SN nor show any evidence of having had one.  We know that post WWI the Czechs produced large quantities of unnumbered bolts to use in the many German GEW98s they received as reparations.  Those, however, did not have bent bolt handles.  This one is straight.

If interested, let me know.  I think I would piece together an entire bolt assembly out of a mix of parts.  It wouldn't be pretty.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#2]
If you just want to make it a shooter, look for a straight bolt.  The Russians rebuilt lots of K98’s with straight bolts, not correct to a K98, but they work.

Straight bolt=pre 1938ish, same Mauser action, lots of Slavic countries went this route.  Goes bang, it will be a shooter. You can find them.

Bent bolt, well, you’ll pay.

It’s fun, get it firing, upgrade to a bent bolt when you catch a deal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#3]
SARCO’s web site is showing complete M98 bolt assemblies (straight handle) for $98.

Remember to check headspace before shooting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:45:05 PM EDT
[#5]
$175.00 complete with bent bolt at Liberty tree....these guys are pretty good, never had an issue with them at all. In stock as of this posting.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4255&idcategory=40
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:24:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Yea they can be a bit high on some stuff...but usually it's decent quality stuff.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I have to keep the one i got just incase I run into the same situation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top