Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2018 5:45:50 PM EDT
Fixed the photos! Sorry about that.

I recently found this from a local estate and after some helpful advice from MVolkJ, I bought it.  I'd love to hear what you guys think as far as originality, unit markings and value go.

6rd Magazine with chain attaching it to the receiver.

Nose cap to accept bayonet.

Left side barrel markings, VR for Queen Victoria?  Does that make this rifle older than 1900?

Little "bulb" on the end of the stock.

Serial number and right side barrel markings,  Pitting looks worse in the picture than in person.

Flat bolt handle and rear of dust cover.

Still has the magazine cut off.

dust cover

Sling is WWII production, obviously not original.  I have no idea how long it's been with the rifle so I'll probably just leave it with it for the next owner to decide what to do with.

Brass disc and stock stamping.

Has really strong rifling, pretty bright with some frosty spots.

Unfortunately it looks like the rifle sat in a closet corner for a while and there was some corrosion on the butt plate.  I gently rubbed it with some oil but was hesitant to do more.

Bayonet markings, Looks like a september of 1897 production.  I tried to identify what Unit it was issued to but couldn't find anything.  I'd be grateful for any indication of value and if you believe it could be original to the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice

That is a very clean RIC carbine!
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, aside from the GIANT pics, , looks pretty damned good...looks to be correct and original...very nice, always wanted on myself!
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#3]
How much pitting is under the wood ?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know much about Enfields, but is the condition too nice?
Considering the pitting might this have an old reblue and lightly sanded stock?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#5]
once you resized the pics you put on gunboards, you will get some really good information,  including the unit markings on the rifle disc and bayonet,

the guys there know what's what,

great looking rifle otherwise,

is it import marked??
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
once you resized the pics you put on gunboards, you will get some really good information,  including the unit markings on the rifle disc and bayonet,

the guys there know what's what,

great looking rifle otherwise,

is it import marked??
View Quote
None that I see. I'm going to take off the stock to take a look at the pitting and I'll look some more.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Look at the muzzle area hard for a very small 1 or 2 line import mark. They used to be small and very light sometimes. If it is a reblue it may have been polished off . The stock kind of looks refinished It does not have the patina of a 118 year old rifle. The blue at some point starts turning brown as well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Look at the muzzle area hard for a very small 1 or 2 line import mark. They used to be small and very light sometimes. If it is a reblue it may have been polished off . The stock kind of looks refinished It does not have the patina of a 118 year old rifle. The blue at some point starts turning brown as well.
View Quote
only if used or stored incorrectly

I have a couple long lees that are CLLE conversions done in 1909 or 1910,
one is a commercial BSA gun, and the blue is in very very good condition,
the other was use a bit ,  and still has some blue left
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have looked over the muzzle area very closely with light and don't see anything.  It's also missing the England stamp on the receiver that I've seen on other imports.

The bluing looks to be original.  There is wear on the edges and corners all over the rifle that looks authentic to me.  The stock is good looking in person but doesn't have the shiny fake glare that appears in the photos.  I'll try to take some better pictures that show it better.

The muzzle cap/bayonet lug also has worn differently than the barrel, it's more brownish where the barrel is worn bluing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#10]
How is the pitting under the wood ?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How is the pitting under the wood ?
View Quote
it's not so bad, the sides have some below the stock and there's some very light pitting along the stock down the barrel.  Here's some pictures.  I don't think it's too bad, looks like it spent some time with the police or military out in the rain or snow!

The stock and barrel both match and are original which is cool.

I'm going to try and get out some time this week and shoot it and see how shes does.

Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#12]
The matching stock is nice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Superb! Glad you were able to snag it, it's a very nice piece.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I see its for sale over on Gunboards...wish I had the scratch to snag it...
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I see its for sale over on Gunboards...wish I had the scratch to snag it...
View Quote
Did you see the list of trades?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top