Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2016 12:04:03 PM EDT
I signed up for the notification emails from Empire Arms and it looks like he gets some real nice stuff, but how the heck do you get anything?  Every time I look at his emails 90% of everything is already sold.  It's nice to look at, but I work full time and it's literally pointless for me as far as buying anything.  Is there something I'm missing here?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I signed up for the notification emails from Empire Arms and it looks like he gets some real nice stuff, but how the heck do you get anything?  Every time I look at his emails 90% of everything is already sold.  It's nice to look at, but I work full time and it's literally pointless for me as far as buying anything.  Is there something I'm missing here?
View Quote

Some people get the emails earlier. Kind of like AIMs email reaches some folks late
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Ya, it sucks but he's a small shop so it's really random. Just try to keep cash on hand and do your best lmao. He sends 1-2 emails out monthly. I've been trying to buy off his site for over the past year but I'm always too late.
Dennis seems like a great guy though. I recall him mourning his wife's death a year or so back and that was the only time I can recall him closing up shop for a bit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The only way I had any luck with Empire was to order immediately from my phone.

He used to have a service where he will look for a specific firearm for you.  I'm not sure if he still offers that service or how it worked exactly, I never used it.  I think you're agreeing to buy whatever he says matches the description you provided so do be careful with what you ask for.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I check my inbox hourly for new stuff emails. That's how I scored  a nagant revolver  a few months back
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ya, it sucks but he's a small shop so it's really random. Just try to keep cash on hand and do your best lmao. He sends 1-2 emails out monthly. I've been trying to buy off his site for over the past year but I'm always too late.
Dennis seems like a great guy though. I recall him mourning his wife's death a year or so back and that was the only time I can recall him closing up shop for a bit.
View Quote

Yeah I'm not knocking the guy at all.  Seems like he runs a great business.  I just wish I could buy some of the stuff he gets.  It's like a damn feeding frenzy when an email drops.  

I wonder if you emailed him and said "I'm looking for X rifle for X amount of money if you run across one" if he would hold it for you.  I thought I had saw someone post something alluding to that before but I wasn't sure.

ETA: it appears there is or was something like that, just read 2 more posts down.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#7]
You have to get his emails on your phone and be very quick about it.

My French MAS-49, M91 Carcano, and 1908 Pocket Hammerless all came from Dennis.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You have to get his emails on your phone and be very quick about it.
<snip>.
View Quote

This.

Over the years, I've gotten many fantastic rifles from Dennis and I've always been lucky being at my desk when his email came in. If I wasn't, I missed out. With him, if you aren't fast you're SOL on the best stuff. I don't recall him ever sending out a 'New Stuff' email over the weekend.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Dennis has a "want list service". The link is on his home page. You fill in what you are looking for and the range you are willing to spend and if he comes across it, he will contact you to see if you want it. I got a couple of things that way.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dennis has a "want list service". The link is on his home page. You fill in what you are looking for and the range you are willing to spend and if he comes across it, he will contact you to see if you want it. I got a couple of things that way.
View Quote

Ok.  That's more of what I was getting at.  I'll look into it.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I get the email pretty quick and sometimes get lucky but last couple of times I have gotten the shaft too. Keep in mind there are a lot of people who get it and there are not a ton of C&R surplus stuff coming in so probably more of us buying from the little guys than there used to be...
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I have bought plenty from Dennis, though nothing lately, since I am not really looking for anything. Having emails pushed to my iPhone helps.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Back when I had my C&R, I bought several items from Dennis.  Usually I'd find about 2/3 sold when I looked at his new stuff lists.

He can be a bit grumpy, too, and is very particular about how he does business.  I bought something from his list once (just a WWII holster) and he decided to go ahead and ship it before I even paid.  It went to my old address because I hadn't purchased from him since I moved that year.  The people at the house returned the shipment to him, but he was mad at me for not telling him yet that I had moved and then refused to complete the sale to me after he got it back.

I also had another situation when I bought a Yugo SKS from him before they were plentiful (and paid a premium for it).  It was described as being in excellent shape and it was...externally.  Unfortunately for me, I didn't clean off the cosmo or detail check it for more than a year, when I discovered a pitted bore and very pitted gas piston.  THIS WAS MY FAULT FOR NOT CHECKING, so I'm not slamming Dennis here.  But I AM saying is that you should look over what you get from him very carefully as soon as you receive it.

Rob
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Dennis suffered a stroke on April 16 that affected the entire right side of his body.  He is recovering quickly but definitely out of action for awhile.  Dennis is a stand up guy.  Been in the milsurp business for a long time and has a slew of friends on Gunboards.com.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top