Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2015 10:51:44 PM EDT
Apologies if this is the wrong location, I don't really ask this kind of question.. I'm usually more sure of myself.

An SVT-40 came into the shop and we ended up buying it for an extremely good price because it was missing the magazine. The stock is kind of rough but there are no true cracks and the gas system is in fairly good condition with no obvious rust/pitting.
I have the chance to buy it for $750+tax on an employee-only indefinite layaway (My boss is kind of awesome, especially since I generally get to take the rifle home with me too before it's paid off.)

I know the magazine will run me $150-200, but to be honest it's not a gun I plan to go shooting much if any, but instead put it beside my M76 in the back of the safe and maybe in a few decades sell it if things go according to plan.
Do ya'll think I should jump on it or just let it go? I kind of get the feeling I'll never get the chance on another one for anywhere near that price. Money isn't really an issue but I've been buying a lot of .308 semi-autos lately and I REALLY need to invest 4-5k in some glass for them..
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it Finn Marked?  Usually the stocks are pretty nice as they were refurbed by the Russians, but the Finned rifles are a lot rougher.  If it is a Finn, it is likely more valuable than a Russian rifle.  What manufacturer?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Now there is some irony, I have a mag (nice one with no line-outs) I picked-up a couple years ago for a couple bucks and no rifle (I want a Finn) has come my way anything close to a reasonable price.

No I'm not selling it, there is always that slim hope.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Haven't had as much hands-on time with it as I'd like.. I don't think it's a Finn though, I'd have to double check to be absolutely sure. I am fairly certain it's Ishevsk marked, but I'd need a quick refresher to be positive. I think the rough stock has more to do with the previous owner not knowing what it was and leaving it in the floorboard of his truck.. I don't know the extent of the refinishing the Russians did, but I think it had a coat of shellac on it.
I know this isn't too helpful but I've literally only held it once so far.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:08:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Apologies if this is the wrong location, I don't really ask this kind of question.. I'm usually more sure of myself.

An SVT-40 came into the shop and we ended up buying it for an extremely good price because it was missing the magazine. The stock is kind of rough but there are no true cracks and the gas system is in fairly good condition with no obvious rust/pitting.
I have the chance to buy it for $750+tax on an employee-only indefinite layaway (My boss is kind of awesome, especially since I generally get to take the rifle home with me too before it's paid off.)

I know the magazine will run me $150-200, but to be honest it's not a gun I plan to go shooting much if any, but instead put it beside my M76 in the back of the safe and maybe in a few decades sell it if things go according to plan.
Do ya'll think I should jump on it or just let it go? I kind of get the feeling I'll never get the chance on another one for anywhere near that price. Money isn't really an issue but I've been buying a lot of .308 semi-autos lately and I REALLY need to invest 4-5k in some glass for them..
View Quote

Stay far away.  The SVT-40 was my biggest gun buying disappointment.  It is fiendishly hard to field strip and it shoots corrosive ammo

Save your money and get a Garand instead
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:17:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Stay far away.  The SVT-40 was my biggest gun buying disappointment.  It is fiendishly hard to field strip and it shoots corrosive ammo

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the easiest to field-strip, but it's not bad. Corrosive ammo is less-than-ideal, but new-production ammo is available.

Go for it. The SVT is afun rifle. I'd much rather shoot one than a Garand. Everyone else around you on the range will soon be aware of the fact that you have an SVT. They're loud.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I doubt I'd ever shoot it, though I think I do have a few new brass rounds of 7.62x54r left over.. this would just be a purchase to resale on a rainy day in the future is all, and until then just a rifle I'd keep just to say I had it. I've got other rifles I bought to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:48:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Wolf ammo-non corrosive, but a tad dirty.

SARCO for mags, were under $100, haven't checked in a while.

Is the muzzle brake the 4 square holes, or multi slots?  Mine is multi slot, and kicks about like a .243.  Have heard the square type isn't as efficient.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Seems by the time you add the mag, you are essentially paying the price what SVT can be had for if you are patient. So you aren't getting a deal really
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seems by the time you add the mag, you are essentially paying the price what SVT can be had for if you are patient. So you aren't getting a deal really
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a number of SVT-40's over the years and they are fun rifles that can be a little tricky to disassemble. As for shooting fun , I prefer shooting my PSL for a semi auto 7.62x54r.

Also, be aware they have a tendency to crack the stock just behind the receiver and you will see many with repairs there. I tend to shoot only the lighter ball ammo with it though

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Warts and all at $750 I'd buy it.  Eat the cost of a new mag and you're in business.  

I say this because I found a cherry SVT-40 in 1997 for $89.95 and scooped it up.  I had it for a few years until I sold it for $200.  I thought I did good until I saw one a few years ago for $1200.  Now when I see one I feel pangs of regret.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#12]
After doing a little bit of reading on them and re-examining it, I think I'm going to let it slide.. I may kick myself later but I just really can't justify it, even on a no-interest, termless layaway..I think I'd be better off putting the money towards some optics that I will actually use.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Even if an original mag is found as a replacement, there is no guarantee it will work. SVT 40s are very finicky about mags. I would never buy an SVT without a mag.

Also, i have no idea why people are saying they are difficult to field strip. They are extremely easy to take down.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Even if an original mag is found as a replacement, there is no guarantee it will work. SVT 40s are very finicky about mags. I would never buy an SVT without a mag.

Also, i have no idea why people are saying they are difficult to field strip. They are extremely easy to take down.
View Quote

You must be a watchmaker

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Go for it. I personally like the SVT, sure it has it's downsides on field stripping but that is not what I got it for. Kinda like someone saying stay
away from a Garand because it clip fed not mag fed.

Quoted:

View Quote

Not exactly accurate, they are finicky but with adjustments to feed lips this can be cured. I purchased an aftermarket mag which SVT's hate, didn't feed when first tried, but after adjusting lips no problem.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#16]
its easier to disassemble than a hakim.    wayyy easier

I've owned the svt-40 and 38....  If you can throw 750 at it easily...sure....but I'd buy from a reputable dealer or inspect a bit more....when you sell in twenty years it might be inspected and no sale occurs

there's a gas piston and cup / a crown hiding under a muzzle attachment and a gas port and plug...not to mention bolt face pitting / weak recoil springs....

get pics!

but it's sounding like a pretty hard sale at this point.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I never had any trouble stripping a Tok down either.  I went off the Small Arms of the World entry on the rifle.  Then again I can re-assemble a Ruger Mk2 pretty easily where many people can't without getting all flustered.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I think those m48 mausers at AIM would be a wiser investment right now
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Depends on a lot of factors really. Post pics!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I paid $300 for mine in 2013. After I got it home, I was so disappointed.  I spent hours finally getting the thing apart and hours trying to get it back together again.

And after looking at it closely, I felt I'd been had.  Honestly this is not a $300 gun.  It is a $99 gun and I have no idea why folks in the US spend crazy money on these things.

Luckily I found a guy in Quebec who wanted it and I got my $300 back.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Probably will get me banned but I swapped a garand for one.  My experience was an odd flyer periodically and it would reliably launch the cleaning rod.  Neat gun and fun to shoot but everyone thought it was an sks.  Mine had an unrepaired stock so I worried about it developing a crack through shooting not to mention how easy is it to find parts.  Weren't a lot when I had it.  I sold it and used the cash for a m1a.  I'd buy another but it would have to a killer deal.  I think what you're looking at is average once you add a mag.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Fun guns. I'd buy all I could at $750.
The chance of anymore being imported are slim to none.
Magazines pop up from time to time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I paid $300 for mine in 2013. After I got it home, I was so disappointed.  I spent hours finally getting the thing apart and hours trying to get it back together again.

And after looking at it closely, I felt I'd been had.  Honestly this is not a $300 gun.  It is a $99 gun and I have no idea why folks in the US spend crazy money on these things.

View Quote

Because they are not very common and no more will be coming in due to politics.  I needed one for my collection and had no problem sparing one of the numerous Garands that I have to get it.  I can get more nice Garands pretty easily from the CMP for $730.  I'll bet there are some relatively cheap/common guns here in the US that are way more sought after and expensive in Canada.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 6:45:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Because they are not very common and no more will be coming in due to politics.  I needed one for my collection and had no problem sparing one of the numerous Garands that I have to get it.  I can get more nice Garands pretty easily from the CMP for $730.  I'll bet there are some relatively cheap/common guns here in the US that are way more sought after and expensive in Canada.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS.  

Purely supply and demand.  I want one for a blaster, just can't justify the cost here.  I got another garand from the CMP a few months back for cheaper than an SVT.  Was an easy way to re-up my CMP stuff for prep for the 1911's...and I got a Garand!
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I will sell my svt40 to you for 400. just come get it
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#27]
The only reason I would get one is for the Russian portion of my collection. The Garand is by far my favorite shooter, which may be why I have a few. If you do not already have a Garand I recommend going in that direction instead.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

Most people I know who own an SVT bought it as a collection piece.  I picked up one for that reason earlier in the year.  It is a Finn-capture, which is exactly what I wanted due to historical interest.  I spent a lot more than $300.  I haven't shot it yet and won't shoot it much.  But it isn't a range gun for me.  I have plenty of other options for that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Liberty Tree had repro mags, but I have no idea if they're any good or not.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3126

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought my 1941 Tula for $800 with an original (non matching) bayonet. Excellent condition refurb. I love it and it's a blast to shoot. I honestly could not care less about field stripping because it is a collector rifle and I'm not trying to clean it between combat in the field. I'd say go for it, or find another one with a mag.

ETA: That said, the Garand is a FAR superior gun and given the choice, I would buy a Garand first (if I didn't have one).
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

we are in opposite sheres, you in Canada can buy SVT40's for 250...garands are a fortune. here in the USA svt's start at 1000...way more than a cmp garand costs . I have both. they both have their merits. If yopu can get an svt here for $700...you can double your $ in two years easily

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

we are in opposite sheres, you in Canada can buy SVT40's for 250...garands are a fortune. here in the USA svt's start at 1000...way more than a cmp garand costs . I have both. they both have their merits. If yopu can get an svt here for $700...you can double your $ in two years easily

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 12:59:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Sure...ill give you 100 extra for delivery.... I'm just over the border so not that far..
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Since Canada is always 10-20 years behind the U.S., here is a little something to entice our Canadian brothers into SVT lust.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Since Canada is always 10-20 years behind the U.S., here is a little something to entice our Canadian brothers into SVT lust.

http://imageshack.us/a/img538/1236/SnsRgN.jpg

View Quote

Meh I have an SVT in my kitchen, as soon as I can dump it I will buy Garand parts, or perhaps a nice pistol
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:46:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a Tula and a Podolsk (aka Kovrov)

I would buy another if I could find a decent deal.

Stripping them gets easy after doing it a couple times. .
View Quote

Nyet comrade.

Stripping them is hideously difficult.   So hideous that I would rather massage Crabby's mother's bunions
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:08:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Liberty Tree had repro mags, but I have no idea if they're any good or not.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3126

View Quote

A little bit of filing on the front "beak" to fit the receiver and they work fine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:06:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have a Tula and a Podolsk (aka Kovrov)

I would buy another if I could find a decent deal.

Stripping them gets easy after doing it a couple of times. There are some good YouTube videos on how to do it.
View Quote

^^^THIS^^^ I learned the "trick" of placing a x54R round between the rear of the recoil spring guide and the receiver, to easily remove and reinstall the top cover. This might be an "undocumented design feature" or so I've read. Then, I learned to compress the exposed ends of the recoil spring together by hand, to easily remove and reinstall the recoil spring. There is also the "German" method of removing the bolt/bolt carrier and the recoil spring simultaneously, but I don't trust my manual dexterity to that level. The trigger group takes a firm push to reinstall, just as it does on an SKS. Gas system adjustments are "unusual" and require tools, but are easily accomplished, when needed. With the SVT40, research and learning are your friends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top