Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 1:56:21 AM EDT
Springfield M1 Garand, 1944 manufacture.

When I got this, the bolt and op rod looked worn out...it wasn't extracting every other round and the op rod kept on popping off. I replaced both with SA WW2 era made spare parts, it extracts now like a boss...but the op rod popped off after the last round from the last clip of a total of 7 clips fired. There were a few stovepipes because I think it was my fault firing it southpaw and my gloved hand was in contact with the op rod while gripping her.

But the dang op rod popped off again...and NOW every now and then the trigger assembly falls out during recoil. I'm at a loss as to the issue, everything is in spec and I had three different smiths look at it and found nothing wrong.

WTF?

Rounds fired were PPU M2 ball new manufacture .30-06 and some AE 150 (Federal) .30-06 if anyone wants to know.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Never had either happen, but

Trigger guard/housing first.  When you close the trigger guard, does it get tight/hard to push to lock about 3/4" to 1" before it reaches fully closed?  It should.  That means there is the right amount of metal (in the right spots) and the right amount of distance (wood) between the receiver and the trigger housing.  Also, look at the pins on the trigger guard?  They can be worn (flat spots that are visible) and it won't lock up right.  Replacing the trigger guard may fix it if the pins are worn.  If not a worn pin issue (compressed stock/wood) that could be fixed with small amounts of epoxy placed in the right spot under the trigger housing (you'd have to see/read up on that one - I remember our M14 stocks being done that way, but I've never had to do it on one of my rifles).

Operating rod popping out?  If you've replaced the operating rod are you sure the one you bought was in spec?  If it was then it may be a worn receiver rail.  I'm not sure how often rails are the problem (never heard of it).  There are folks who rebuild operating rods.  If you can find someone who does that, and your receiver rails are the issue, you could have them build up the tab on your operating rod a little larger than usual so it would "fit" your receiver better.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#2]
This is way off topic but that .gif cracks me up every time I watch it lol
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never had either happen, but

Trigger guard/housing first.  When you close the trigger guard, does it get tight/hard to push to lock about 3/4" to 1" before it reaches fully closed?  It should.  That means there is the right amount of metal (in the right spots) and the right amount of distance (wood) between the receiver and the trigger housing.  Also, look at the pins on the trigger guard?  They can be worn (flat spots that are visible) and it won't lock up right.  Replacing the trigger guard may fix it if the pins are worn.  If not a worn pin issue (compressed stock/wood) that could be fixed with small amounts of epoxy placed in the right spot under the trigger housing (you'd have to see/read up on that one - I remember our M14 stocks being done that way, but I've never had to do it on one of my rifles).

Operating rod popping out?  If you've replaced the operating rod are you sure the one you bought was in spec?  If it was then it may be a worn receiver rail.  I'm not sure how often rails are the problem (never heard of it).  There are folks who rebuild operating rods.  If you can find someone who does that, and your receiver rails are the issue, you could have them build up the tab on your operating rod a little larger than usual so it would "fit" your receiver better.
View Quote

Pretty much my opinion.  The CMP has a trade in program for rebuilt op-rods or they can rebuild yours.  There are multiple ways to correct the stock fit, if that is the issue.  One way is to build up the area with bedding compound or veneer.  You can also use thin magnets.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#4]
put this in the m1 forum and you'll see some good answers
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Contact Tony at Orion 7, or the gents on the CMP forum. Both are great resources.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Contact Tony at Orion 7, or the gents on the CMP forum. Both are great resources.
View Quote

Would agree with both recommendations.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like the little "tit" on the op-rod that rides in the grove on the receiver is worn out.  It will need to be replaced / refurbished.  The trigger group popping out is also common.  Either the guard itself is bent and doesn't maintain tension, or the stock doesn't fit right.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Rare to find a receiver rail that is worn , ususally the op ord tab is worn out of spec.
Grab a  micrometer and measure the tab
Op Rod Tab spec:
Tab/Lug Height: .320 to .317 (under .310 calls for rejection)
Tab/Lug Thickness: .100 to .095
Tab/Lug Width: .265 to .235
Tab/Lug Hang .070 to .055

Corners should be square

As far as the trigger group popping out it is either a worn stock with compressed wood ,and or the lugs on the trigger guard worn/flat

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top