Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2010 2:06:54 PM EDT
Both are soaked in cosmoline, I haven't seen them, but as I understand it, both are missing parts, from the stock bolts etc. No idea what the condition is under all the grease. Either way they'll need parts to get up and running. I think it'd be neat to have them and eventually fix them up,

The guy who has them inherited them & doesn't particularly care about them and is willing to sell.

Any idea what would be a fair price for two of them. The $number of $100 for both cam up, but I think he wants $100 each now. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Berthier..Lebel...

Parts are hard to find...I bought an 07/15 Berthier with a cut off stock, and missing barrel band and front sight insert ...  Previous owner found a front band..but couldn't find a stock or a rear band. He gave up attempting to un-bubba the rifle.

I gave up looking too...and laborously repaired the stock with a chunk of scrap walnut, then took a later model 1916 Berthier rear band and resized it to fit. Made a front sight insert/blade too

I had similiar issues with parts for a French ordinance revolver that needed grips, grip key and lanyard ring. I found grips at 'Hoosier Gunworks', but had to by a relic condition revolver to get the other pieces.

The older French parts are a bitch to find.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks sir, any idea of a good price for these?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
If they both have full military stocks and stock bands and complete bolts they are worth $100 ea. Minor parts like stock cross bolts can be salvaged from sporterized bubba rifles.

The big thing like already pointed out is if the stocks are chopped and stock bands are missing etc those parts are nearly impossible to find.

If you could get a picture of the rifles that would help alot on determining value.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:04:29 AM EDT
[#4]
If the rifles are serviceable condition, $100 is pretty good, especially for a Lebel.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:36:14 AM EDT
[#5]
As a simple rule of thumb, Lebels have a tubular mag under the barrel......Mannlicher Berthiers use either a 3 or 5 rd en-bloc clip.

The 2 most common Lebels are the 1886/93 (full length), and the 86/93 R-35 (18"bbl carbine). Either in full military guise are worth 250 + depending on condition. Original 1886 models unmodified to 86/93 specs are rare.

The common Mannlicher Berthiers are 07/15's (full length 3rd mag), 1916 Carbines (5rd). The earlier 3-rd 1892's are a little harder to find. There are versions (certain 1890 carbine variants, and the 07/15/34 Long rifle) that are quite rare. Unmodified 3rd long rifles are getting a little harder to find as well....

If you're gonna shoot them, see if they are proofed for "Balle N".......an "N" stamped on the top of the receiver. If they are cut/sporterized, I'd pass.......like the poster above said.....they would turn into money pits.....would never be "original"......and 8mm Lebel isn't the cheapest round to shoot either.

For those who think an M44 Mosin, or 95 Steyr kicks and produces a big fireball, I say touch off a round of 1948 Hotchkiss MG "Balle N" in an 1892 Berthier carbine........holy sh*t !!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Lol, laughing at your last line. Wonderful info. Thanks for your help on the French rifles. I know American, Brit, Soviet, Italian and German rifles well but just starting to refresh my memory and expand my knowledge on these Gauloc wonders.

Quoted:
As a simple rule of thumb, Lebels have a tubular mag under the barrel......Mannlicher Berthiers use either a 3 or 5 rd en-bloc clip.

The 2 most common Lebels are the 1886/93 (full length), and the 86/93 R-35 (18"bbl carbine). Either in full military guise are worth 250 + depending on condition. Original 1886 models unmodified to 86/93 specs are rare.

The common Mannlicher Berthiers are 07/15's (full length 3rd mag), 1916 Carbines (5rd). The earlier 3-rd 1892's are a little harder to find. There are versions (certain 1890 carbine variants, and the 07/15/34 Long rifle) that are quite rare. Unmodified 3rd long rifles are getting a little harder to find as well....

If you're gonna shoot them, see if they are proofed for "Balle N".......an "N" stamped on the top of the receiver. If they are cut/sporterized, I'd pass.......like the poster above said.....they would turn into money pits.....would never be "original"......and 8mm Lebel isn't the cheapest round to shoot either.

For those who think an M44 Mosin, or 95 Steyr kicks and produces a big fireball, I say touch off a round of 1948 Hotchkiss MG "Balle N" in an 1892 Berthier carbine........holy sh*t !!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:02:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I load my own 8mm Lebel for my non-'N' proofed 07/15 3 shot assault long-rifle...works good. brass lasts forever at .30-30 velocitys.

There is a guy online will duplicate Berthier stocks...like for the older colonial model long rifle 07 model I think...essentially the same as a 07/15
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the good info gents
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#9]
if you find a good source for lebel parts let us know here- I have some lebels I brought back from Afghanistan in 2008 (back when they were pretty laid back about it- I understand things have since changed) and they could use some spare parts
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Will do. And thank you for your service sir!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top