Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2008 2:22:05 PM EDT
Boys I took my new (old ) Mauser to the range today and every round failed to fire. The firing pin made it's mark, not very deep but wtf???

Any ideas??????
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
First did you take the bolt completly apart and clean it free of all cosmo?

Second, if you already did clean it up then I would call Wolf Springs and get a new spring for it with a higher lbs. rating.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It doesn't sound like the ammo is the problem, but of course that can always be a possibility if you are talking about 50 year old surplus.

In addition to having some cosmoline stuck in there, as was said, I know with a Mosin Nagant, if you don't get the right amount of rotations as you put the bolt back together you can get light primer strikes because not enough of the firing pin is protruding from the bolt face.

I've not had that happen with my Mausers but I suspect you could have the same thing happen.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine came with a broken pin and did the same thing...

Order a new pin and change it out... its easy to do...

Link Posted: 10/31/2008 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Were you shooting 50's Yugo ammo? My 24/47 has trouble with this ammo sometimes. I just wait for 20-30 seconds then open, then close the bolt to re-cock the rifle. They all go bang the 2nd time around. You dont have to pull the bolt back, just re-cock. Wolff spring is a good option, also examine the firing pin.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Any idea how to take the bolt apart????

I got a new bulgarian ak 74 that my friend wants to sell me, but it will only fire one or two rounds at a time....

Any takers on that little problem???????????

SEMPER FIDELIS
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Were you shooting 50's Yugo ammo? My 24/47 has trouble with this ammo sometimes. I just wait for 20-30 seconds then open, then close the bolt to re-cock the rifle. They all go bang the 2nd time around. You dont have to pull the bolt back, just re-cock. Wolff spring is a good option, also examine the firing pin.

ammo is 1944 stamped

Ammo "looks" good....
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]
If it was an SKS I'd guess that it was a stuck firing pin.  I've never fooled around with an AK but I imagine its the same deal.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

I got a new bulgarian ak 74 that my friend wants to sell me, but it will only fire one or two rounds at a time....

SEMPER FIDELIS

Link Posted: 11/1/2008 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#8]
The M48 and 24/47 often have weak firing pin springs.  You can use a new spring for the K98, but you need to shorten it.  I made mine about 1/2 an inch longer than the original M48 spring.  This link here tells you how to adjust firing pin protrusion and how to check it.  I found one of my M48's had a pin that was .020 too short and I fixed it using this method. http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2007/10/firing-pin-protrusion-on-1938-turkish.html
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

SEMPER FIDELIS

It's hard to tell whats wrong with the ak without seeing it.  I built an ak for a guy and let him put the fcg in it.  He later told me it would only fire one rnd at a time like a single shot.  Turned out her had the hammer in backwards, don't know how it worked at all.

Link Posted: 11/1/2008 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#10]
see
here for Mauser bolt take down.
post the ak74 problem in the AK forum for a better response to that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#11]
My k98 would sometimes do this when i first got it with the 50's yugo ammo.  I later replaced the spring with an extra power spring and now the gun runs 100%.  Just order a new spring for like $10 and replace the old one that is 60 years old.
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 5:05:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Surplusrifle.com has the instructions for the Mauser bolt. Take it apart and clean it. If that doesn't work replace the spring.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Not an uncommon problem. When they first hit the market there was a number of posts of light hits. IIRC K98 springs (longer) were stuck in some M48's. The longer spring basically bunches up and prevents the firing pin from doing it's job properly. Many 48's had a heavy bolt lift from rough workmanship along with the stiff springs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top