Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2007 2:48:50 PM EDT
When I chamber an 8 MM round the bolt is hard to close.  I've had this rifle for years and its been like that ever since I got it.

Any ideas?  I was told to find another bolt and trade it out if it closes easier.  

Anyone in the Phoenix area have a go, no-go, field guage for this rifle that I can borrow?

azski
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you feeding from the mag or are you just dropping a round in?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#2]
From the 5 round mag.  I load a stripper clip and when I try to close the bolt it is quite difficult.  It will close, but not smooth and easy like my 1903A3.

Do you think it is a headspace issue?  The rifle is one of those K98's that Russia released a while ago.  The bolt has the receiver's serial number elctro=penciled on it so I presume it was tested and passed.

azski
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
From the 5 round mag.  I load a stripper clip and when I try to close the bolt it is quite difficult.  It will close, but not smooth and easy like my 1903A3.

Do you think it is a headspace issue?  The rifle is one of those K98's that Russia released a while ago.  The bolt has the receiver's serial number elctro=penciled on it so I presume it was tested and passed.

azski

If you close the bolt and then open it again repeatedly on a loaded chamber, does it get easier to lock into battery?

The chances that the headspace is too short is very good.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you clean the lugs area in the receiver?  My have hard cosmo in that area.  Use an dental pick and see.  Also what ammo are you using?  Factory, reload or surplus ammo?  If you are using factory ammo, try surplus ammo.  Next go very slowly and push an round into the chamber and see if the round is going under the extractor.  If not,  try it faster and see if it happen again.  Next tme faster.  You may want to take out the firing pin for safety.  If it is not going under then take an file and file it down. if it does go under then the head of the extractor my be to thick.

Just an few ideals

Bob
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll take it to the range tomorrow and try it out again after I clean it real good.

I'm using surplus ammo.

Thanks for all the ideas.

azski
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Cleaned it real good.  Took it to the range and it worked perfectly.  Thanks.

azski
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#7]
most people forget to clean the lug area in the action really good and they have the same problem that you had.  Glad that you got it fix.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
most people forget to clean the lug area in the action really good and they have the same problem that you had.  Glad that you got it fix.

Bob

Thank you for the advise.

azski
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top