Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2007 11:52:26 AM EDT
...as far as being "customer friendly"

My saga to change my C&R address continues.  I'm not 4 months in and still without license and no hope of one anytime soon.

First I sent in the 5300.38 and it was returned to me, with sections clearly marked "business" highlighted.  I'm mildly irritated since I just spent a fair sum sending the thing certified return receipt mail only to have it kicked back for BS reason.

So I try again.  Fill in all the sections marked in the first one, send it in again, certified return receipt mail again.  So I wait and wait and wait.  I call day after day, and day after day I sit on hold for a half hour and eventually get cut off.

Finally by old boss from college rolls into town for a conference, says he's got a letter from DOJ for me.  I open it, look at it, and its a letter from ATF talking about my 5300.38.  

It was sent to my old address so how it was supposed to get to me I'll never know.  Even mail forwarding has run out by now since I moved the first week in Jan.  I literally got a job, packed up and moved in < week, coincidentally making me unable to comply with the first instruction of "not less than 30 days prior to moving" but thats another gripe.  "Gee this guy wants to change his address, lets send all our notifications to his old address, he'll be sure to get them there."

So I read through the letter, and the reason it was kicked back this time.  The old license has to be included as stated in some part of the ATF regulations.  Well the license disappeared at some point during my move.  Given what I did with everything that didn't go in the U-Haul, its in a landfill somewhere in north MS.

My main beef though, is the fact that in order to properly submit the 5300.38, you have to reference regulations that aren't mentioned anywhere on the form.  As bad as the IRS is they at least give complete instructions on their paperwork.  Its especially bad on new guys like me that still don't know all the regulations, and don't know their paperwork is that shitty.

So now I have to write a letter telling them where my license is and hope that if there's any problems they'll actually correspond to my current address so it doesn't take another 2 months to get any information.  And to top it all off, when I called the number with the letter to see exactly what I needed to do about all this, the woman all but treated me like shit, acting like it was burden to even answer the phone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't the ATF fall under the IRS?

That should tell you everything.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Doesn't the ATF fall under the IRS?

That should tell you everything.

They're now homeland security/department of justice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top