Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2006 4:50:52 PM EDT
I took my M48 that I got last week from AIM , my first Mauser,to the range today and I have got a few questions about the action.  Every so often, I'd say about once every 10-12 rounds, the bolt did not want to close all of the way without forcing it. hinking.gif Also it would do almost the same when opening the bolt but not as bad.  Is this normal or is something wrong?  Is there any way to smooth the action out any?  Like I said this is my first Mauser so I'm new to all of this.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Kind of sound slike the ammo you are using has different tolerences, meanign it all isnt the same dimension. Its normal with the cheap surplus especially if you have albanian 7.62x54, or Turk ammo i sometimes have trouble.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It's 70's Romanian from AIM.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#3]
70's Romanian is good. I doubt it's the ammo. It sounds like there is some obstruction in the chamber. Get a bore light or a bright flashlight and shine it in there. I would guess there is some cosmoline, grease, lacquer, or soil hanging around inside. The chamber is cut quite larger than the cartridge so that the rifle will tolerate a little debris, so it's not uncommon for crud to be in there without the shooter knowing it. It sounds like there is not a huge amount, but just enough to trouble you from time to time.

Also, there may be crud in your bolt assembly. Disassemble and clean the bolt group. Chances are it could use a good cleaning anyway.

If you do find cosmoline anywhere in the rifle, the best way to remove it is to wash it away with boiling water.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
This happens to me when shooting the romanian also.  The cartridge is not getting "snared" by the bolt.  As you push the bolt forward, the cartridge rim is suppose to slide up into the bolt, behind the extractor.  The Romanian sometimes won't do that thanks to it's laquer coating (I think thats what they used).  Next time it happens, instead of forcing the bolt closed, pull the bolt back.  If the cartridge does not come back with it, then that is what happened.  If the cartridge does come back and is held by the extractor, then there is probably something inside the chamber.

hope this helps
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#5]
That is exactly what it is doing.  When I pull the bolt back the cartridge does not come back with it.  Thanks alot, just glad to hear that it is normal.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I forgot to add.  Romanian ammo is junk.  Buy the 1950's yugo.  It's on sale this month at Century arms.  You have to call to get the sale price - it's not listed as on sale on the website. Much cheaper and much much better and safer than the romanian.  I say safer because last weekend I shot some of the Romanian ammo.  One time something flew back and hit me right above my eyelash.  I got home and found out it broke the skin (as I now had a scab there).  THANKFULLY I was wearing glasses.  I don't want to even think about what would have happened if this would of hit my eye.

ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot Romanian almost exclusively in my 1903 Turk and Gew 98, and have never had problems. If your rifle doesn't like it, by all means get something else.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I also have a M48, good advice mention up above, mine was like new when I got it a month ago, it get smoother the more you shoot it.

I'd got 900rd from AIM Surplus, it dated 1955, real clean and on stripper clips.

Before I ever shot my M48, I'd replaced my firing pin spring, not with wolf, but with m98 firing pin spring.

Got ten firing pin springs  for the same price as one wolf spring.

Also,scored on a spare firing pin.

Now, Im looking to get a bayonet.

TG
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Now, Im looking to get a bayonet.

TG

I ordered one from Numrich with a front sight hood, bolt removal tool, etc.

www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=725560&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

The Yugo bayonet I received looks brand new, in plastic wrap and cosmo, and looks a lot better than the pic they have up there:

Maybe I just got lucky, but for $27, I'd give it a shot.

Unfortunately, I ordered a M48/K98 sling, and they sent me a Mosin 91/30 dog ears sling instead.  I've already got slings on my Mosins, but I am too lazy to send it back to Numrich.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top