Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 3:10:04 PM EDT
I didn't mean to.

But when I saw it sitting there on the pawnshop floor (this place has it's rifles stacked like cordwood along one wall, usually 4 or 5 rows deep) it called to me. How can you say no to a middleaged blonde Swiss gal? I couldn't.

It's got some surface rust and a bit of pitting. But the stock is in pretty nice shape and the bore is outstanding!

Top of the receiver

With flash

Without flash

It does have the front sling swivel on the right hand side. I've gathered it's somewhat normal? Any ideas why?

Also, where can I get a sling, bayonet and a front band with the swivel on the left hand side. Stripper clips available? Oh, and one more newbie question. I haven't started looking yet, but who's got ammo in stock?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I want one.  The closest I had was a Swiss 1911 that had been rechambered in .308, but I want a K31 now.  Is Wolf making ammo in 7.5 yet?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know, but it shouldn't be much longer if it isn't.

I couldn't find any 7.5 Swiss. The pawnshop was sold out. But he promised to order more in. It's just that he's an hour away.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't know, but it shouldn't be much longer if it isn't.

I couldn't find any 7.5 Swiss. The pawnshop was sold out. But he promised to order more in. It's just that he's an hour away.

try aims
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice!  How much was it If I may ask?

Oh, and as for Wolf.... I saw either CheaperThanDirt or Sportsman's guide has the 7.5 Swiss by Wolf in the latest catalogs I got.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I knew there was something I forgot to add.

$135 out the door.

A bit higher than what you guys pay with your C&Rs, but by the time you figure in shipping, the dealer's cut, and the fact I could inspect before I bought, I didn't consider it out of line.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#6]
That's nice.  Local fun store is selling them for $150 and not even half as nice.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:44:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is Wolf making ammo in 7.5 yet?

Yes, they are. I just bought some from Cabela's. It was on back order for about a week or two and I just got it in on Monday.

It is boxer primed with a 174 grain FMJ boat tail bullet. I have not taken it apart to see what type and weight of powder, nor have I had a chance to shoot it. The cases look good. Annealed at the shoulder and up the neck.

Price was $9.99 per box of 20. That is higher than the mil surp ammo, but it is boxer primed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:43:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool! Thanks.

Aim does have the Surplus. Now I'll have to get some of it and some 5.56.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It does have the front sling swivel on the right hand side. I've gathered it's somewhat normal? Any ideas why?

A few on here have done that intentionally, left hand shooter...?

Also, where can I get a sling, bayonet and a front band with the swivel on the left hand side. Stripper clips available? Oh, and one more newbie question. I haven't started looking yet, but
who's got ammo in stock?

I bought my sling and muzzle cover from 97guns off the EE, give him an IM and he might find one for you, I think I payed 20 for the sling and muzzle cover.

btw, nice rifle, looks like someone already stripped the shellac or smoothed down the wood for you.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Mark. I'll give him a yell.

Yes, somebody has cleaned up the stock. And sanded it a bit too much on the right side of the buttstock. The buttplate overhangs the stock a bit, with rounded edges. But it was done some time ago as the wood has discolored and stained again.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:24:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Congratulations on your new "friend."

The front sling point should be on the left, just remove the band and turn it around.

It's no heresy to flat file the butt plate to fit the stock, or just leave it alone.  

These are real nice shooting rifles.

Lots of good info at   www.swissrifles.com

Regards,

Rick
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Doesn't anyone "roll their own" ammo? Everyone was out of surplus ammo or even the brass when I bought mine. I just bought a set of Hornady dies and a bag of .284 brass. Ran the cases through the dies once, reloaded them, and went to the range. .284 brass is virtually the same dimensions as the Swiss with the exception of the neck diameter. Works great. Still watching for some Swiss surplus but not very hard! Greg
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#13]

The front sling point should be on the left, just remove the band and turn it around.

DUH!!!  

I do reload. That's all I shoot in my Garand/03a3 and .303 Brit. So eventually I'll get around to adding what I need for this one too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#14]
The GP11 Swiss stuff is very nice, very accurate, and one goal of handloading is to match the accuracy of the GP11.  Unfortunately, the GP11 is Berdan primed, which requires a little research and investment to reload.

Prvi Partizan, Hornady, and Norma all use Boxer primers, and I hear (but cannot confirm) that the Wolf uses good brass, maybe Prvi Partizan manufacture.

Everybody makes a .30 bullet.  Best results seem to come from the 160 - 175 range, with the Sierra 168 HPBT usually a prime contender.  I'm just working up my kit to reload this stuff myself, enjoying shooting up ammo for the brass.

IMR 4064, 4350 often used.  I'm trying the 4064 and RL15 myself with the 168 Sierras.

Both RCBS and Redding make dies, as does Lee, so once you get set up you're good to go.  

BTW, current dies reflect sizing for the K31 rather than the older 7.5 chambers, which are slightly different.  swissrifles.com has good info on this in the archives.

Regards,

Rick

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#15]
they're amazing rifles.

I knew nothing about them, until after I chose my screen name.

I put the st. marie mount on mine and 4 power german post recticule russian scope.  Pretty amazing what kind of groups these things can give, especially when you're sitting next to a nice deer rifle that can't shoot as good and was $300 more.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The GP11 Swiss stuff is very nice, very accurate, and one goal of handloading is to match the accuracy of the GP11.  Unfortunately, the GP11 is Berdan primed, which requires a little research and investment to reload.

Prvi Partizan, Hornady, and Norma all use Boxer primers, and I hear (but cannot confirm) that the Wolf uses good brass, maybe Prvi Partizan manufacture.

Everybody makes a .30 bullet.  Best results seem to come from the 160 - 175 range, with the Sierra 168 HPBT usually a prime contender.  I'm just working up my kit to reload this stuff myself, enjoying shooting up ammo for the brass.

IMR 4064, 4350 often used.  I'm trying the 4064 and RL15 myself with the 168 Sierras.

Both RCBS and Redding make dies, as does Lee, so once you get set up you're good to go.  

BTW, current dies reflect sizing for the K31 rather than the older 7.5 chambers, which are slightly different.  swissrifles.com has good info on this in the archives.

Regards,

Rick

The Wolf boxer brass is made by Prvi Partizan, if I read the headstamp correctly.

I would also bet that the Nosler 125 BT would shoot well with quite reduced recoil. I have shot the 125 in several different .30 cal. rifles and they shoot tiny knots.

I would also bet that Varget would be a good powder to try as well as some of Vihtavouri offerings such as N140 or N540.

The problem with berdan primed cases is the extra effort and money it takes to de-prime them and finding the *correct* sized berdan primers to re-prime with is very difficult as berdan primers come in all kinds of sizes unlike boxer primers. The Old Western Scrounger used to carry berdan primers but he went bust after going through a lawsuit. I just did read in the American Rifleman where his assets were bought out by the guy who owns Navy Arms, Val Forgett. I do not know what he has or doesn't have as for berdan primers.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Soundsl like reloading is going to be much easier than I thought.

I use IMR4064 and 150gr Sierra Gamekings for my M2Ball replacement. So I've already got most of the components already on hand.

Thanks everybody!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I want one.  The closest I had was a Swiss 1911 that had been rechambered in .308, but I want a K31 now.  Is Wolf making ammo in 7.5 yet?

Dale, check out  www.militaryshooters.com/ they are about 10 miles southwest of Mauston (about 2 hour drive from here) email him and setup a time to go see him. He's got some nice ones out there and they are nice people. I went out there a couple of weeks ago and bought a K31 and a Mosin M44...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dale, check out  www.militaryshooters.com/ they are about 10 miles southwest of Mauston (about 2 hour drive from here) email him and setup a time to go see him. He's got some nice ones out there and they are nice people. I went out there a couple of weeks ago and bought a K31 and a Mosin M44...

Sweet!  Thanks for the heads up on them.  I never knew they existed, and it looks like they are an hour or so from me.  It may very well be worth the trip.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Bumblebee_Bob

I see you said it has some rust, May I suggest....  www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/bluewonderblue/index.asp

I just finished re-bluing the K31 I bought and it turned out amazing.  I soaked the parts in Brownells rust remover and it just ate away the finish and allowed to me blue them perfectly.  I didn't have any rust though, but the stuff was quite powerfully so it should suite you well.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Sweet!  Thanks for the heads up on them.  I never knew they existed, and it looks like they are an hour or so from me.  It may very well be worth the trip.

It took me about 2 hours. I'm in Oshkosh so I expect it'll take you about the same. Email them first to check thier inventory and set up a apointment (they don't have a store).

ETA: If you go out there have him show the sporterized version he made. SWEET!!! He cut the barrel to 16" re-crowned it, cut the stock and refinished and mounted a scope. It really handles nice. I'm  thinking of having him do one for me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It took me about 2 hours. I'm in Oshkosh so I expect it'll take you about the same. Email them first to check thier inventory and set up a apointment (they don't have a store).

ETA: If you go out there have him show the sporterized version he made. SWEET!!! He cut the barrel to 16" re-crowned it, cut the stock and refinished and mounted a scope. It really handles nice. I'm  thinking of having him do one for me.

You are in Oshkosh?  Are you shooting with us in Shiocton on Sunday?  IM sent.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Bumblebee_Bob
The only thing that I can add to the info you've already got here is that bayo's aren't easy to find and you probably pay as much or more than you did for the rifle.

Oh BTW another cool thing about these rifles are if they haven't been messed with too much you may find a tag under the buttplate with the name, address and unit of the citizen soldier that the rifle was issued too. Kind of a cool bit of history. I hear that there are websites around to help you send a note to the soldier. (if he's still alive that is) The man on my tag will /would have turned 66 on April 15.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:47:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Bumblebee_Bob
The only thing that I can add to the info you've already got here is that bayo's aren't easy to find and you probably pay as much or more than you did for the rifle.

Oh BTW another cool thing about these rifles are if they haven't been messed with too much you may find a tag under the buttplate with the name, address and unit of the citizen soldier that the rifle was issued too. Kind of a cool bit of history. I hear that there are websites around to help you send a note to the soldier. (if he's still alive that is) The man on my tag will /would have turned 66 on April 15.

Thanks 91101. After poking around on Swissrifles.com I pretty much gathered that. I also checked under the buttplate, but alas, no note under mine. But thanks just the same.

Thanks for the link Delta068. I'm checking it out now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top