Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 9:05:35 AM EDT
The queston is, should every c@r purchase that I make should it be checked for headspace issues so far 3 m44's, 2 k31's, 2 mausers and several sks later with no problem. But know that I am a dad and stuff I think about things a little defferently just curios what you guys have experinced thatnks.
Charles.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The queston is, should every c@r purchase that I make should it be checked for headspace issues so far 3 m44's, 2 k31's, 2 mausers and several sks later with no problem. But know that I am a dad and stuff I think about things a little defferently just curios what you guys have experinced thatnks.
Charles.

Wouldn't at all hurt, although I've *heard that CAI headspaces their imports (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

But always good to do it yourself.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Charles.

Field gauge:  $26
Not having to explain to your child why you only have one eye:  Priceless

Some things money can't buy, but a headspace gauge isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Century does NOT headspace most rifles.  Nobody does.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Quoted:
Charles.

Wouldn't at all hurt, although I've *heard that CAI headspaces their imports (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

But always good to do it yourself.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Dennis Jenkins

thanks, that's good to know.

Aimsurplus had told me they do...

better be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
You can't even rely on folks telling the truth about corrosive ammo let alone checking headspace.

What I hate are guns like the K31 that don't have commonly available gages.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dennis Jenkins

thanks, that's good to know.

Aimsurplus had told me they do...

better be safe than sorry.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#6]
another question about the headspace issue.

was told by someone that if the headspace is wrong, it was wrong when the gun was assembled, and that it doesn't become bad by being shot a lot.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone told you wrong.  Heavy use can can an increase in headspace.  On the flip side, some weapons made under wartime pressures may start out with looser tolerances.

Even with good headspace, always wear good quality eye protection.  Blindness sucks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Even with good headspace, always wear good quality eye protection.  Blindness sucks.

never been without it, won't let someone fire any of my rifles unless they have it as well.

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I think you are usualy prety safe if the bolt and receiver numbers match. If I'm in doubt I will hip fire the first round and inspect the cartridge. Maybe not the perfect plan but it has worked for me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think you are usualy prety safe if the bolt and receiver numbers match. If I'm in doubt I will hip fire the first round and inspect the cartridge. Maybe not the perfect plan but it has worked for me.

I generally put it on the bench as I would normally shoot it, and sit a few sand bags over the bolt and receiver area, and pull the trigger
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top