Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 4:30:58 AM EDT
Got it from an old gentleman down the road from me. Told me he bought it in the 50's and never fired more than a magazine out of it (I can believe it, there's still machining marks on the lands where it was bored out) It has the two groove barrel 99% parkerizing, garand webbed style sling he says came on it, all parts marked savage, yet there is no year dated on the reciever like the other savages I have seen, only the serial# and a "B". It also had a cleaning kit still in the butt, a matching savage magazine and a savage made spike bayonet (no import marks as well) the wood is also about 99% and the brass buttplate is still shiny and has no scratches etc. at all on it. Right then and there I decided I was going to have to pay whatever he wanted for it because no matter what I was getting that rifle. He wanted $50 and wouldn't take a cent more! He also (as I was going out the door) threw me a coffe can (a BIG one) full of mixed headstamped milsurp .303, with purplish, black, and red tips

Guy must be in his late 80s but is sharper than a tack, and a veteran. I'll have to go visit him again, glad I met him and not for the riflr either.
Figured I'd share with all you guys.

What do you think that rifle is really worth?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a really good deal!

Where's the pics???
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:11:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Gonna have to take my word for it 'till my girlfriend brings back her digital

I almost don't want to shoot it. I got a bunch of enfield "shooters" already. I think I'll cosmoline this and put it next to my mint No5Mk1. I already got a No4 with frosty but STRONG rifling that I shoot just to see how many rounds it takes to shine it up ANd yes, you can shoot a No.4 fast enought using stripper clips to heat it up and smoke the oil off the gun. I had it and my $80 M48 beater at the pit and between the G.F. and me we had the linseed oil seeping out of the stocks. She stopped when se couldn't touch the reciever ring without getting burned
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Dude, the police should be involved in that deal.

I can't give you anything more than a guess on the value, but I CAN tell you that's a LOT more than $50. I'd probably start guessing at somewhere around 10x that.....

You don't see them in that condition anymore.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#4]
YEah, I felt so guilty leaving with that rifle for that price that I kept checking the rear view for red and blues But he wouldn't take a cent more. He said he had no use for two of them and he uses the other for hunting (not sporterized either surprisingly enough) He said it's the same as the one he carried in europe and he kept it as issued. He served with some of my family from that area also, I should drop in again next time I'm home and see if he wants to talk about it. There are too few vets and they keep getting fewer
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#5]
IF it is all correct, and all the parts are Savage marked as they should, around here it would fetch $250 to $300.

All correct, all original Savages get a premium, right or wrong.

It sounds like a great gun regardless, even a mixmaster Savage would be $125 to $150 around here....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top