Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 8:22:42 PM EDT
....and it was a rush of adrenaline as I experienced:

BAM, BAM,....BAM, BAM,BAM,BAM,.....BAM, BAM-tingggggg, clang,clang

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]
DUCK! The Germans know where you are now!

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:07:01 AM EDT
[#2]
.....and that you just ran out of ammo!!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:33:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I was reading it thinking "Jackass! What KIND of rifle". Then I got to the tiiing.

Lucky bastage. I want one, but havent fully convinced myself to spending 5-600 bucks for one yet.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:35:38 AM EDT
[#4]
They are sure taking their time with mine or I'm at the bottom of the wait list
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was reading it thinking "Jackass! What KIND of rifle". Then I got to the tiiing.

Lucky bastage. I want one, but havent fully convinced myself to spending 5-600 bucks for one yet.

Same here, on both points!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#6]
My father and I just received a CMP shooter a few weeks ago, we're addicted now....

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

DO IT

DO IT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My father and I just received a CMP shooter a few weeks ago, we're addicted now....

Uh Huh. I know I'm hooked when I shoot a C&R firearm for the first time and can't wipe the grin off my face and keep saying things like "sweet" and "whoa" and "sh*t, this is awesome".........oh, wait, I guess that's been all of 'em.  

X
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#9]
For everyone who worries about the noise made by the ejecting clip please do the following.  

1 -Got to range or favotrite shooting hole.
2- Leave ear protection off.
3- Rapid fire all 8 rounds.
4- Do you still hear the ting?

Being a lefty, I get to hear the ting twice.  One when it ejects and once when it hits to top of my head.  sometimes I can catch it befofe it hits the gound if I am shooting from a bench.  I always shoot with my hearing protection on.  My ears are bad enough as it is.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I just bought a Greek return Field Grade at the North Store.

The barrel is in really good condition, it measures < 1 on a gauge. The stock, on the other hand, is butt ugly. (and probably why this is a Field Grade.) If you don't mind stock condition so much, this might be a way for you to go. Mine was $395. I am going to out a CMP stock set on it, as the current stock doesn't have any markings or cartouches on it. (and did mention that it is REALLY ugly?)

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
For everyone who worries about the noise made by the ejecting clip please do the following.  

1 -Got to range or favotrite shooting hole.
2- Leave ear protection off.
3- Rapid fire all 8 rounds.
4- Do you still hear the ting?

Being a lefty, I get to hear the ting twice.  One when it ejects and once when it hits to top of my head.  sometimes I can catch it befofe it hits the gound if I am shooting from a bench.  I always shoot with my hearing protection on.  My ears are bad enough as it is.

the ting is music unless your surrounded by germans
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#12]
LOL  had to count the BAM!'s just to amke sure I knew what kind of rifle you were talking about.

I just bought one a few weeks ago and I had some troubles with it at first.  (no tinng!)  But she's  running like a top now!   I love the tinng!  

Actually, me and my father inlaw were talking about the "they know when your out of ammo" issue.   I wonder how many times were the US NOT in groups of 2 or more?  and what are the odds of ALL of them running out of ammo at once?  I dont really think its much of an argument.   Even so, if you look at some of the old pics, you often see that men would tuck en-blocs in there shirt or on the sling to make for faster reloads.   And if it were me and I had some time, and the proper motivation, (hoards of Germans trying to kill you) I think I'd learn to reload my M1 faster than a german can run across a front.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Actually, me and my father inlaw were talking about the "they know when your out of ammo" issue.   I wonder how many times were the US NOT in groups of 2 or more?  and what are the odds of ALL of them running out of ammo at once?  I dont really think its much of an argument.   Even so, if you look at some of the old pics, you often see that men would tuck en-blocs in there shirt or on the sling to make for faster reloads.   And if it were me and I had some time, and the proper motivation, (hoards of Germans trying to kill you) I think I'd learn to reload my M1 faster than a german can run across a front.

I was talking to an old WWII vet at the range a while back that had served in the Pacific.  He said that story was so much .
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is well worth it. The prices are only going to go up.
Make it a birthday present to yourself. Thats what I did when I got mine.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Great pic, Mark!!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is well worth it. The prices are only going to go up.
Make it a birthday present to yourself. Thats what I did when I got mine.

Yep, mine was a, well, uh, Thanksgiving present. Ya, that's what it was. Seriously, though there are still a few thousand greek M1's left at CMP, but they won't last forever. I had to have mine. A field grade was what I could afford. It's a good shooter. Throat and bore are good, but a fair amount of muzzle wear. The stock is a butt ugly, oil soaked, beaver chewed stick, but I'll keep it that way. All part of the charm. I've heard the "tingggg" in the movies, etc, but there was a certain magic in the 9+ lb heft of the rifle, the firm push of the 30.06 round, the authoritative boom, the tinggg, and the comments from on down the firing line: "What is that rifle?" "Oh ya, that's an M1 Garand!" (Gotta love those quad miked, amplified shooting muffs ).

Not everyone appreciates the mystique of these old battle rifles, but for those of us who do, it can be alot of fun. I used to pass by the old stuff on the gun store racks as I headed for the new guns. Now it's the other way around!

Buy more ammo,

X
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Ugly Garands rule.  I won't be changing the Euro-wood stock that came with my Greek return because it's so ugly, it looks good.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I have always thought the bit about the clip tipping off the bad guy when you had an empty rifle to be kind of a long shot.Garands are such cool, great shooting guns I can't see any GI not wanting one . Remember we were up against bolt rifles holding 5 when they were topped off. If my memory serves the average american GI was like 145lbs and I have to think the average german wasn't much bigger . Think of a 145lb kid shooting a 8mm mauser  and trying to keep up any aimed rate of fire compared to the same sized GI with the softer shooting Garand.Aim and pull the trigger! Most anybody can learn to jam another clip in a Garand with a couple of tries,much easier than messing with loose rounds or stripper clips. The only time I can imagine the clip thing comeing into play is with a lone soldier who has gotten seperated and is all alone.
Even then he would likley shoot a couple quick rounds and scoot.
What do I know,I am just trying to reason it out .
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I haven't been in combat, but I have been in my share of live-fire exercises, and there is a reason why hand and arm signals, smoke, and other forms of visual aids are used to supplement orders that are shouted at the top of one's lungs to the guy 10 feet away from you.  Things get noisy quick.  If I had to carry a Garand into combat I wouldn't worry about the ting of a Garand clip ejecting.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Just another weapon on the long list.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Not sure about the whole "they know when you're out of ammo" but I have heard numerous stories of the mishap with the Airborne at Normandy with their clickers.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:08:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Congrats!! It won't be your last!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:14:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Garands can be addictive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top