Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 8:37:03 PM EDT
I'm not talking about the antique ones that can ship to your door.  I have heard these are alot nicer than most MNs.  I am going to order a M44 but may order one of these Finnish ones as well if they are truly worth the premium.  Also which barrel is best?  Sako, Belgian, or VKT?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Try looking at gunsnammo.com. There you can see a picture of the gun you buy. I believe its Belgian ,Sako, then VKT.  "B" being the best.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#2]
By best do you mean the most collectable?  They all shoot the same.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I'm not talking about the antique ones that can ship to your door.  I have heard these are alot nicer than most MNs.  I am going to order a M44 but may order one of these Finnish ones as well if they are truly worth the premium.  Also which barrel is best?  Sako, Belgian, or VKT?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Are those C&R? It doesnt say on their webpage, or the flyer, what gives?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:07:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Top of listing page states that they are antiques.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:39:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't have extensive experience with MNs, but from what I have read quality varies quite alot.  I have read that the Russians were not real stringent on their specs and as a result some MNs are MOA, some are minute of pie plate, and some barely minute of barn.  Sorta luck of the draw I guess.  I just thought the Finnish ones were supposedly nicer and are less of a crapshoot in terms of quality and accuracy.  I am definately no expert this is just what I have found in my limited research on the net.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:40:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Top of listing page states that they are antiques.

Not all of them are antiques.  There are some that are some that aren't.  I have looked are pretty much all of them on AIM.  Here's the list of Finnish MN's that are C&R:

http://aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Finnish_Model_1939_Mosin_Nagant_7.62x54R_Rifle.html
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry SIG_220 I ment the gunsnammo website. I purchased one from them for about the 300.00 range. nice guns . You also get to see the one you want before you buy it . Good discriptions to. Imust say that the rifle in hand looks much better than the picture.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sorry SIG_220 I ment the gunsnammo website. I purchased one from them for about the 300.00 range. nice guns . You also get to see the one you want before you buy it . Good discriptions to. Imust say that the rifle in hand looks much better than the picture.

No problem.  I ended up ordering a select grade Finnish M39 and an M44 from AIM.  I probably would have went the gunsnammo route but I wanted a M44 as well, and AIM has always given me better than expected products.  Does gunsnammo have a bigger list somwhere than can be seen at "gunsnammo.com"?

I'm sure the price I paid is high for a MN but I really want a nice one that has good collectors vaule.  That way when I hand it down to my son it will be more than just a shooter.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#10]
All the rifles sold by Wholesale Guns and Ammo as of right now are all antiques. He is having an issue right now concerning his dealership status and thus can only sell antiques. I'm not sure what you mean by the "premium"? These are the prices the M39's are going to be going for now if it stops there now. The Batch you are looking at is the LAST of whats left in Finland and the USA. It is nice that WGA has complete descriptions, but he used to charge alot more for the ones he descrbed than the ones you got if you just placed an order. AIM is great to deal with and I think you will be happy with what you receive. Tikka manufactued M39's seem to be bringing the most money as these are the rarest, but this is a post-war conversion using Tikka M91 barrels. "B" barrel (using Belgian steel for the barrels) are next in line for rarity, but are also post-war builds. Sako is next in line and then VKT. Most of these saw action in the Winter war and if you like your guns to have character and battle history, go for these. There are also the SKY marked rifles which are often looked for. SKY is the symbol for the Civil Guard and are more on the rare side also These are great shooters and are much nicer than the Russian Mosins. The Finns make much better barrels and do trigger work to the guns when built. The shooter specials are a great way to go also if you want something that you know was not rearsenaled after the war.   Terry
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
All the rifles sold by Wholesale Guns and Ammo as of right now are all antiques. He is having an issue right now concerning his dealership status and thus can only sell antiques. I'm not sure what you mean by the "premium"? These are the prices the M39's are going to be going for now if it stops there now. The Batch you are looking at is the LAST of whats left in Finland and the USA. It is nice that WGA has complete descriptions, but he used to charge alot more for the ones he descrbed than the ones you got if you just placed an order. AIM is great to deal with and I think you will be happy with what you receive. Tikka manufactued M39's seem to be bringing the most money as these are the rarest, but this is a post-war conversion using Tikka M91 barrels. "B" barrel (using Belgian steel for the barrels) are next in line for rarity, but are also post-war builds. Sako is next in line and then VKT. Most of these saw action in the Winter war and if you like your guns to have character and battle history, go for these. There are also the SKY marked rifles which are often looked for. SKY is the symbol for the Civil Guard and are more on the rare side also These are great shooters and are much nicer than the Russian Mosins. The Finns make much better barrels and do trigger work to the guns when built. The shooter specials are a great way to go also if you want something that you know was not rearsenaled after the war.   Terry

I just meant by "premium" the expense over a standard Russian MN.  I understand the rarity of them.  I just really don't know enough to know if they are worth the asking price AIM has.  I requested a Sako barreled MN.  I guess I should have asked for Belgian.  I don't think it will ship until tommorow so maybe I can call and change it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#12]
On second thought I'll just stick with the Sako.  I'm sure it won't really matter regardless.  I want it more for shooting than aything anyways but it'll still be a great milsurp for the collection because of the rareness of it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#13]
The list at gunsnammo changes as he sells them.He adds more after the list gets down to just a few. It sounds like you made some good choices . Can you post pics when you get them? I to am interested in the M44 . I would also like to see what aim has  for the M39 in the grade/ quality you ordered .Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The list at gunsnammo changes as he sells them.He adds more after the list gets down to just a few. It sounds like you made some good choices . Can you post pics when you get them? I to am interested in the M44 . I would also like to see what aim has  for the M39 in the grade/ quality you ordered .Thanks

I'll post some pics, but you'll have to be patient with me on that.  I hope it doesn't come packed in as much cosmoline as my Yugo M48 was.... That was a real mess.  That's the only other milsurp I have now but I want to get a few more.  I think a K31, one of those Spanish Mausers in .308, and a couple of Enfields.  I just need to do some research because I really don't have alot of knowledge in milsurp guns.

I commited a carnal sin with my M48.  I bought that Tru-Oil stuff at walmart thinking it really was just an oil finish.  It turned out really nice looking but I get crap for varnishing a milsurp stock sometimes.  I'll just use some linseed oil next time if I need to finish a stock.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Well here's mine.  It's a real beauty.  The stock is gorgeous.  It has relatively very minimal storage marks.  It does have one small gouge that may be from storage or transit.  It looks bigger in the pic than it really is, but it did bum me out a tiny tiny bit because it is the only flaw I could find so if hadn't been there it would have been perfect.  The finish looks 100% to me.  It looks dull in the pics because I have not cleaned any cosmoline off yet.  The rifling looks new and is very sharp lands with perfectly clean grooves.  Overall I am very impressed with the condition.  The trigger is phenominal for a milsurp.  It looks like it hasn't been shot almost.  Maybe it is unissued.  I'm not sure.

I probably wouldn't have bought it had I realized how high the hospital bill was goint to be from my first son being born.  I got the bill Saturday.  I am going to sell another rifle of mine though that will take care of most of what I didn't have saved up so it's fine that I bought this.  If I have the money after paying the bill I will probably buy another.

Some of the pics are kinda blurry.  Sorry I suck with cameras.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#17]
What should I touch that nick/gouge up with?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#18]
NICE RIFLE!!! If you do anything to that stock, I will have to hunt you down and break your fingers I wouldn't touch it. You got a VERY nice M39 and that little gouge is probably the only thing that kept it from being the EXC grade. I think AIM always underates their stuff though. Is that a WWII-era (rounded finger joints) or a post-war (square joints) stock. Nice sharp Sako and maker cartouche also. What year? Congrats,  Terry

BTW, pull the action fron the stock and look for a date on the receiver tang. It will tell you what manufacture and how old the receiver is. Just curious.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
NICE RIFLE!!! If you do anything to that stock, I will have to hunt you down and break your fingers I wouldn't touch it. You got a VERY nice M39 and that little gouge is probably the only thing that kept it from being the EXC grade. I think AIM always underates their stuff though. Is that a WWII-era (rounded finger joints) or a post-war (square joints) stock. Nice sharp Sako and maker cartouche also. What year? Congrats,  Terry

BTW, pull the action fron the stock and look for a date on the receiver tang. It will tell you what manufacture and how old the receiver is. Just curious.

It was the highest grade AIM had for these.  Excellent/Select Grade that is.  Is Select or Excellent higher?  I don't plan to sand the stock or refinish it.  I was just thinking of touching up the small gouge with some oil or something.  Is that a bad idea?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Darned nice gun!
Linseed oil is dark 1st choice, tung or even Ballistol for the spot touch up. Just make sure it is not an oil finish with varnishes.

I am just touching that spot up nothing else.  I'll probably try some linseed or tung oil.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats on the birth of your son. You must be very Proud
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Very much indeed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Shhhhh. Bye the way did you get one of the M44 as well from aim? If so could you also post a pic of that one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#25]

these finns are amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top