Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 6:20:02 PM EDT
I walked into the pawn shop today as a guy was selling some guns to the shop.   One is an Italian 1871?     He said it was modified in the early 1900's to shoot smokeless powder.  It is 6.5X42?   I think that is it.   He said it is the same caliber as the newer(early 1900's) Italian military rifles.

I've searched on the net to find a value and more information.    I can't find much, and none of the pictures match what he told me the rifle was, an 1871.

This is exactly what the bolt and magazine look like.   This one is for sale on Gunsamerica, but there is no info in the add:

The pawn shop owner said he would probably set the price around $200.  Is that good, bad, about right????

The rifle was in very nice shape, with matching numbers on the wood and action.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It's an Italian Vetterli 1870-87-15 conversion in 6.5 x 52 Carcano cal.

For $ 200 it better be in mint condition. Pretty much Wall Hangers IMOP but some brave soul's still shoot them....
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's an Italian Vetterli 1870-87-15 conversion in 6.5 x 52 Carcano cal.

For $ 200 it better be in mint condition. Pretty much Wall Hangers IMOP but some brave soul's still shoot them....

The guy who owned it has low pressure loads that he uses in it.  I reload already, so that wouldn't be a problem to duplicate.  

What is a fair price to pay?   The rifle is in very nice shape as far as C&R's go.  There are the usual handeling marks and nicks on the stock, but the finish is in very nice shape.  The finish on the gun is probably about 70%-75%; better than many of my C&R's.  

I might make him an offer on Monday.   Let me know what I should offer him.  The pawn shop owner doesn't know anything about the gun, so if he wants too much, I may have to let it sit there a while before he comes down.  He thought of it as a wall hanger also.

edited to add:
Found another one on Gunsamerica.com.   He wants $550 for it.  It is in similar shape to the one I'm looking at.

Here is the guys picture:
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#3]
The one on Gunsamerica will probably be there for a LONG time also There is a local shop here that has a MINT conditionb one for $200 and it's been there a long time.I think $200 is top end, even for a nice one. And no, I probaly wouldn't shoot it. Terry
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The one on Gunsamerica will probably be there for a LONG time also There is a local shop here that has a MINT conditionb one for $200 and it's been there a long time.I think $200 is top end, even for a nice one. And no, I probaly wouldn't shoot it. Terry

Terry,
What should I offer for the rifle?  150?  Too High?  Less?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a Vetterli 70/87/15 about a year ago for $100 even.  Overall VG condition w/cleaning rod.  I don't reload rifle calibers yet so mine is a wall-hanger for now.

Checking Gunbroker these appear to go for about $100 to $150, sometimes upwards of $200.  $130~ being average.

In my opinion $150 is an acceptable price given it's condition and assuming it is completely functional.

As to being C&R, the barrel shank should be stamped with a date.  It might be considered at antique (1898 or older).  Mine is dated 1890 making it the oldest firearm in my collection.

LL
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I bought a Vetterli 70/87/15 about a year ago for $100 even.  Overall VG condition w/cleaning rod.  I don't reload rifle calibers yet so mine is a wall-hanger for now.

Checking Gunbroker these appear to go for about $100 to $150, sometimes upwards of $200.  $130~ being average.

In my opinion $150 is an acceptable price given it's condition and assuming it is completely functional.

As to being C&R, the barrel shank should be stamped with a date.  It might be considered at antique (1898 or older).  Mine is dated 1890 making it the oldest firearm in my collection.

LL

I think it is dated 1878.

Thanks for the advice LightningLink!  I'll try for 130, but I'll be he has that much in it if he is asking 200.   We will see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top