Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 9:34:54 AM EDT
i am looking at a rock island arsenal 1903, ser. # 425944.

it has almost no finish left - no rust or pitting, just looks like its all worn off.  barrel appears to be good - strong to good rifling, not dark.  stock is C type and i see no cartouches - its dark and the heavy oil finish common on these guns.

asking price is $395 +tax.   should i take this puppy home?  it will be more of a collector item than a shooter - may shoot it some, but little.

thanks.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#1]
What's the bbl date? What markings are on the bolt and smaller parts.

$395 isn't a bad price, but so far your description is of a shooter, not a collector.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
barrel date is '28 i think.  i did not see any electric pencil marking on the bolts - nothing else as far as markings anyway.  i was looking at a site that indicated serial #'s over 400,000 were likely to SA assembled guns on RIA receivers, making them a little bit  more rare.

still a decent price for a shooter?  might be better to go to CMP and get one!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#3]
A SA 28 bbl is probably original. The C-stock is most likely not original. There should be markings on the underneath root of the bolt. Is the bolt a straight or swept handle? The serial is ~5k from the last RIA SN struck.

If the bbl is in good shape and the stock isn't too beat up, it's a good price for a shooter. Enjoy it.

It's not tapped for a scope is it? That would be a serious drawback.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top