Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2004 11:12:44 PM EDT
Packs a punch for not much dough. What are the frames made of? Are they quality guns? Anyone have one? What's life expectancy of one?
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#1]
They are nice cheap guns if you can get one that is not already worn out.  A lot of the worn out CZ52's are cleverly disguised.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Packs a punch for not much dough. What are the frames made of? Are they quality guns? Anyone have one? What's life expectancy of one?

Link Posted: 12/27/2004 7:31:39 AM EDT
[#2]
It's all steel.   I've got about 1000 rounds thru mine and it shoots fine.    If you get one make sure strip it down and remove all the grease.  Give the fireing pin hole a once over with some solvent and pipe cleaner.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Excelent weapon.  Machining beauty too.  One of the only roller-locked pistols out there.  Get the hot ammo it was designed for and you will really like it!
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Love mine.....had to make new grips. Just got some FNM 62grJHP from Coles Dist and the 52 loves the round. HP might make for a good defense round.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/F4Dee/CZ52pic10.jpg
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
mine had a failure to fire problem and it hangs on a wall at a friends house.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine have not had failure to fire problems, and I shoot them...

They're great guns, although the grip is somewhat clumsy and the safety lever leaves a great deal to be desired (as you shoot, it is easy to have the hand force the safety lever on to the safety position.  This is not as easy to tell as in many other guns because the trigger pull tends to be very stiff and scratchy).

However, even with the trigger/safety "problems," it's a great gun and fun to shoot.  The fireballs at the muzzle are especially wonderful...

Link Posted: 12/30/2004 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The fireballs at the muzzle are especially wonderful...

Mmmmmm......fireballs!

Yep, for the price it's pretty much a C&R must have. Very interesting roller lock action. Snappy recoil/report. Minimalist fixed sights. 2X4 ergonomics.

If you don't have one, you need one (the C&R motto).

X
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm headed for the gunshow in Tucson next weekend. What should I watch out for in looking for one of these?
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:45:49 AM EDT
[#10]
What you want is a new gray CZ52.

These have often been cleverly rebuilt and are hard to discern until you get to the range and all the pins start walking out and you find yourself cussing the POS.  The marks on top of the barrel are NOT accuracy marks.  They denote how many times it has been rebuilt. All of the blued pistols are rebuilds.

You want a NEW gray one.  One that hasn't been rebuilt.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I'm headed for the gunshow in Tucson next weekend. What should I watch out for in looking for one of these?

Link Posted: 12/31/2004 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!! I have a Harrington competition firing pin and a wolf 16.5# recoil spring waiting to through in it, as I've read that these can really help with minor inconveniences with a stock CZ52.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I just ordered one of AIM's excellent condition CZ52's now I have my fingers crossed.

I saw that it's easy to buy a stronger replacement firing pin.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#13]
When i first fired mine the pin that holds the trigger kept walkin out.

I removed it, put it on a metal plate and smacked it with a hammer a couple of times to flatten it out a bit, then jus tapped it back in. Now i have an extremely lite trigger pull.(though i think it mite be a little difficult to remove it nowhinking.gif)

If you do get one you will need i new fireing pin(after market). This very important because the brittle fireing pin is the main flaw of the Cz52 pistol. If you dry fire it you will break it sooner or later and i got this mag that wont allways lock the slide back after the last round so...

I would get a new spring too.

Link Posted: 1/1/2005 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm still running the original firing pin in mine, but it never gets dry fired on an empty chamber.  Makarov.com has (had???) 7.62x25 snap caps which is what I use.

I run the Wolff 18.5# spring in mine, much less abusive to fire.

The only "failure to fire" I've ever had is with crap ammo.  Especially the junk that comes in 40rnd boxes on 8rnd stripper clips.  Every other round needing a second strike & usually at least 2-3 per box that wouldn't fire no matter what.  From what I've read the TT-33 has a much stronger firing pin strike so maybe this ammo would be ok in a Tokarev.  With the ChiCom copperwashed ammo or new S&B she runs 100%.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Unissued is the way to go.  My friend and I got one each from Military Gun Supply in TX.  His was very clean,  mine had a couple of spots on the slide.  The Harrington firing pin kit works very good.  I'd also recommend thicker grips.  It will position your trigger finger better on the trigger.  We shot Sellier @ Belloit ammo at the range.  S&B makes it for Winchester.  Approximately 1600 fps.  85gr.  Fed well,  not dirty,  no misfires.  I did have one problem with one of the magazines.  It was slightly crushed at the bottom end and the floor plate would not stay on.  I spread it with a pair of snap ring pliers and fixed it.  READ the instructions carefully when you do the firing pin kit.  It recomends checking the decocker mechanism.  I also had to clearance the extractor to clear the trigger return spring.  Harringtons instructions tell you how.  Check makarov.com for other stuff.  Oh by the way the CZ ejects brass a long way!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#16]
can someone direct me to a good priced replacement firing pin for the CZ52.

I'm getting it on Saturday and decided I might as well replace the pin if they cause problems usually.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#17]
How much is one of the grey CZ52s?  I might like one for a truck gun.  Excellent penetration is what I hear.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How much is one of the grey CZ52s?  I might like one for a truck gun.  Excellent penetration is what I hear.

they look like they'd make a slim carry weapon as well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Where do we find the "good grey ones" and how much are they?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Now, that is the trick.  Half the time the people selling them don't even know.  They blued the rebuilds in an attempt to suit americans.<G>

I lucked out several years ago.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Where do we find the "good grey ones" and how much are they?

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they look like they'd make a slim carry weapon as well.

They're kinda thick in the slide...slightly less than 1" thick.  The roller locking system doesn't allow for a real thin slide.  Plus they're an all steel full size M1911 sized service pistol, not my first choice in a CCW piece.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#24]
We have car carry without a permit.  The CZ 52 makes a decent car gun even with FMJ.

Car guns have to be handguns not rifles though. <G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Way too big and heavy for CCW.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
We have car carry without a permit.  The CZ 52 makes a decent car gun even with FMJ.

Car guns have to be handguns not rifles though. <G>

Dennis Jenkins

In that case building my AMD-65 kit into a pistol seems much more reasonable...........
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Been looking at pictures of the gun, doesn't seem to be any slide catch lever.  Does the slide stay open after the last round was fired?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#27]
You can add a slide release leaver, but you will have to notch the grip.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You can add a slide release leaver, but you will have to notch the grip.

so the slide won't stay open, so there's no way to know if you shot the last round?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#29]
It does on mine.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Been looking at pictures of the gun, doesn't seem to be any slide catch lever.  Does the slide stay open after the last round was fired?

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It does on mine.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

so how do you close it if there's no slide catch?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It does on mine.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

so how do you close it if there's no slide catch?

The slide catch is above the trigger on the left side (pic below):

There is no slide release (although Makarov.com has sold them in the past), so you must pull the slide back and release after removing/replaceing the empty mag.

Another pic:

-k
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#32]
thanks, got it, guess there's really no need for a slide catch that can be released unless you just want one.  going to pick up mine from my FFL today.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Is there any way to improve the magazine catch on the CZ52?  Its very akward(sp?) compared to newer design pistols.   I realize its a European way of doing it,
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I love mine, and for the price you can't go wrong.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't put too much faith in the blued vs grey argument.  With handloads, my blued specimen is extremely accurate -- it was enough to convince my brother to buy one.  He found a beautiful grey one that, as it turned out, isn't nearly as accurate as mine.  Frosty bore and all, I've got nothing but praise for my CZ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top