Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 5:31:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#1]
i love mine. not real accurate but DAMN WHAT A BOOM! ammo is cheap and pretty easy to find. It will also shoot the 7.62x25 machine gun ammo. Built like a tank and a very mild shooter. the firing pins are supposed to be very fragile. they have a stainless steel upgrade kit that also lightens the trigger pull. If you get it DO NOT RELY ON THE DECOCK SAFETY. many of these are broken and the firing pin will fall. use the pencil test before trying it for real.

As for the cz 50 having more punch.... what the heck are you smoking? the 7.62x25 is one hell of a hot round.

Check out makarov.com. they sell .22 sabots that let you load 55gr .223 rounds into the case. They come close to rifle velocity.

For the money they are REALLY hard to beat.

mike
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:10:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I gotta agree with beer_slayer on them being hard to beat for the money.

Commercial ammo is available from both S&B and Winchester so ammo shouldn't be a problem.

Mine seems to be pretty darn accurate but I have only had it out plinking, haven't punched any paper yet.

Grips on mine appear a bit scuffed up but otherwise it is a pretty clean gun. They are a lot of fun to shoot. My brother and my cousin both shot mine and immediately wanted to know how to get one. My brother got his C&R and now owns a nice grey finished CZ, my cousin's C&R app is in the mail.

Firing pins are an issue. Dry firing will break the stock pin from what I have read.

Check out an earlier thread for pictures as well as links to more info...... www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=14&t=168925&w=searchPop
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The Wolff 18# recoil spring takes a lot of the bite out of shooting it compared to the stock 14# spring.  You could engage 2 targets, one straight ahead & one to the right with the high velocity empty brass.

Ammo isn't too hard to find, but requires some looking.  You won't find it a Wal-Mart.  Stay away from the Czech ammo on 8 rnd stripper clips.  It's meant for subguns & has hard primers.  I've never been able to shoot a whole mag full without at least half of them requiring a second strike (many not going off even after 4 or more strikes).  The new commercial S&B ammo is real nice.  The New Generation stuff has mixed reviews.  I've had real good luck with it but others haven't.  The copperwashed Norinco stuff is great but hard to find now.  Fiochi 7.63 Mauser will work but $$$$ compared to the S&B.  Winchester 7.62x25 is made for them by S&B so why pay more for the name (other than Winchester has better distribution among FFL's).

The sights are almost comically small but the pistol was built to fight off Yankee Imperialist hordes, not punch paper.  Every gun nut should have one.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Excellent pistol, mine are plenty accurate I think in part due to the non-dropping barrel design, it just slides straight back and then forward again. Ammo is a bit of a pain but if you reload the components are easily obtained and reloads can be a hell of a lot of fun. I would refer you to the 2002 Accurate Arms reloading book. I have obtained over 1500fps with 110gr bullets, This approaches 550FtLbs of energy, far more than you can get with a 9mm or even .40S&W.
I have had five of them and am currently down to two. I rate them well worth the money.
One more note, the 7.62x25 round (AKA .30 mauser) is very well known for its ability to penetrate body armor. It was the highest velocity pistol (not including oddball stuff like the MARS pistols) round until the .357 mag came out. Biggest problem with using these guns for anything is overpenetration. Is that good or bad? your decision.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Very cool pistols! I have 3 of them...a '52, '53 and '54 dated one all in black. Three of my favs!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Inexpensive, Robust, Fun.

Meplat-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top