Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/10/2022 12:23:35 AM EDT
Got the ambition this summer shooting season to turn my Ruger American Rimfire into a rifle that can ethically kill squirrels at 100 yards. Mounting a 3-9x Nikon with a BDC reticle made 3 inch groups at 100 yards possible using Fed-Walmart ammo in the howling wind. Range trip 1 provided proof of concept, letting me know my rifle and glass are capable.

I would like to tighten the groups and reduce the holdover required for 100 yard shots using a 50 yard zero. CCI Stingers, CCI Minimag HP's, and Winchester Wildcat are the plans for next range trip, but I would be open to suggestions. Keep in mind this will be for hunting, so expansion is just as important as accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:04:08 AM EDT
[#1]
sub sonic
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:09:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sub sonic
View Quote

I would like to reduce ballistic drop at 100 yards, so i would rather have high velocity rounds.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:33:50 AM EDT
[#3]
My 10/22 T model likes CCI Standard Velocity and shoots that better than Mini Mags which is usually my go to.  That's what I would use if I was in the squirrel woods with that rifle.  

You will likely need to try several brands on paper to find the winner for your rifle
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:55:07 AM EDT
[#4]
17 HMR

/thread
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:56:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd probably try CCI Velocitors.

40 grain 1435 FPS.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 3:28:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
17 HMR WSM

/thread
View Quote
Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:25:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

40 grain 1435 FPS.
View Quote

This...they group under MOA at 100 yds.  Kills em dead.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
17 HMR

/thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:48:47 AM EDT
[#9]
https://www.remington.com/rimfire/29-21288.html

These have killed at 100 yards for me. Group nicely too. The cone shape slaps em down.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

40 grain 1435 FPS.
View Quote

Shockingly accurate ammo considering the velocity.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#11]
One thing I’ve learned about 10/22 and ammo, is everything has to be tried on paper. It doesn’t take much to kill a squirrel, but it has to be sighted in and tested at whatever range you want. Get a good scope with parralax adjustments and try various ammo.
No short cuts. I like match ammo myself. Every gun is different.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One thing I’ve learned about 10/22 and ammo, is everything has to be tried on paper. It doesn’t take much to kill a squirrel, but it has to be sighted in and tested at whatever range you want. Get a good scope with parralax adjustments and try various ammo.
View Quote

You're right.  I tested Velocitor is three different guns against maybe five other rounds, some high velocity, some match.  I liked the Velocitor so much I bought 10,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#13]
.17 WSM 20 g @3000 fps

end thread
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I have never used hollow points or any of the high velocity brands for squirrel.  The former is not needed and the latter does not lend itself to accuracy in a lot of guns and destroys too much meat anyway.

I mostly use Green Tag match ammo since I pretty much have a lifetime supply of it due to shooting rimfire silhouette. Standard velocity bullet drop is not an issue on the 100yd targets at all.

I would suggest going to a local club and shooting a few matches, it's excellent hunting practice for squirrel.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I agree that it is all about accuracy in your gun.

For the most part rimfire hollowpoints are not super effective and almost certainly not way out at 100yds.

step 1-poke a hole in the critter and call it good.

As others have said , CCI std is generally way more accurate in most rifles , zero your gun at 60 or 70 yds and hold over a tad at something longer and under a bit for real close shots.

Haveing said this my results with CCI Velociters are a great high speed ammo choice
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Eley or lapua ammo.
Even SK is better than all mentioned..
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would like to reduce ballistic drop at 100 yards, so i would rather have high velocity rounds.
View Quote

Then, increase your scope height to reduce the appeared drop.  The subsonic rounds (contrary to intuition) will have less wind drift, and in target ammo will likely shoot better groups.  

I just wish that an ammo maker would produce match grade .22 LR with a 45 grain bullet at 850 ft/s.  Call the stuff "Mid Range Match", or something similar.  Not "Suppressor or Silencer" though it would do well in that application as well.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#19]
At distance ( one of my local groups I shoot with does 300+ yard targets with 22’s) accuracy with standard velocity ( also know as subsonic) match ammo is FAR superior to any high velocity ammo. It is all about accuracy and shot placement. Learn the holdovers needed for the various ranges in 5 to 10 yard increments from 50 to 125 or so. Accept the best result will be ranging and dialing not holding off. Another option is a good first focal plane scope with a Christmas tree reticle for hold off.  
You might get lucky and find a high velocity round that is accurate in your gun but honestly that is a unicorn thing.
And as counterintuitive as it may be, standard velocity ammo has LESS wind drift at distance than high velocity
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Not realistic with 22 LR, not accurate enough for reliable kill shot short of  using high end target grade rifle and match ammo.

17 HMR is the answer for 100 yd.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm new to "long range" rimfire shooting and there is a lot of useful info above.

I'll definetly give Velociters and the Remington flat nose a try. The flat nose should tumble and be pretty lethal. I do prefer HP's for squirrels, since I've had a few wounded ones get away using round nose. I also like something that can drop a coon or armadillo if I come across one.

I'll keep standard velocity in mind. The BDC reticle I'm using can account for more drop if necessary.

I agree that 17hmr or 17wsm would perform better, but I don't want this bad enough to invest in a new caliber.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
17 HMR

/thread
View Quote

My brother switched to .17 after he tortured a squirrel that was inside his scope's parallax.  He it like 87 times everywhere but the brain stem.

Here's the place to start if you stick to LR, OP:

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Then, increase your scope height to reduce the appeared drop.  The subsonic rounds (contrary to intuition) will have less wind drift, and in target ammo will likely shoot better groups.  
View Quote

Serious question, why would wind have less effect on a subsonic round? That doesn't seem like it could be correct.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For the most part rimfire hollowpoints are not super effective and almost certainly not way out at 100yds.
View Quote

I don't know, I've actually seen a pretty significant difference between round nose and hollow point rimfire rounds on small critters. My experience is a little lighter using them at 100 yards though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Buy some of the Norma tac from psa for 4.99 a box. It’s ely ammo and groups well for the money.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I use CCI small game subsonic 40g for squirrel hunting and love it’s accuracy. With a Switchback 22 suppressor it is almost silent. I killed 3 squirrels out of the same tree at 80 yards with it last year while sitting in a deer stand.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ve got a tackle box with about 25 different .22lr cartridges that I use to sight in new 22s.  I’ve more ammo types than rifles because more than a few of my samples are no longer being made and all my rifles are sighted in and stocked with their favoriteammo.

Back to the point, my 10/22 shot Eley Sport the best, so I bought a case of it back in ‘03.  Still have a few boxes before I have to figure out what to feed it next, as they don't produce this ammunition anymore.

So, like it has been said here before, buy as many varieties of ammo  you can get your hands on and try them.  Pick the one it shoots best and invest on a as much of that lot as you can afford.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:26:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Serious question, why would wind have less effect on a subsonic round? That doesn't seem like it could be correct.
View Quote

@PA452

As I mentioned, it is counterintuitive.

The reason has to do with the nature of wind drift.  it is a function of the actual time of flight relative to the time it would take if the projectile did not slow down (no air resistance time of flight).  The air resistance has a sharp increase as a projectile goes faster than Mach 0.8, and has a maximum wind drift near 1500 to 1700 ft/s. (this will vary depending on shape and sectional density).  It is not until the speed goes past about 2000 ft/s that the wind drift drops to about the same as the minimized sub sonic velocity.  

Now for longer ranges (beyond 200 yards) there will be advantages for going supersonic, as the bullet speed will average out to the minimized wind drift speed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#29]
100yrd Ethical kills

.17HMR
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I would probably just use SK std plus.

Or whatever good sub sonic ammo your rifle likes.

With a 50 yd zero it’s only a 1.8 ish mil drop to 100. And 25-70 yds is about a .5 mil rise and fall of the round. Supers aren’t going to give you a hugely flatter trajectory and they tend to be less accurate. Maybe around a 1.3-4 mil drop from 50 to 100.

Either way your going to see about a mil of drop between 70 and 100, so you ranging will have to be pretty dead on.

Idk… these are just my ramblings.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

40 grain 1435 FPS.
View Quote
My 10-22 T loves 'em and definitely shoots under minute-of-Squirrel with either the CCI Velocitor or the Winchester Super X 40 gr HP at 1280 FPS

You mileage may vary ;)
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

40 grain 1435 FPS.
View Quote

This is what I have used
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a Ruger American Rimfire set up similar. Mini mags didnt group as well and SV, and Velocitors grouped slightly better that the SV's. I prefer the SV's as with one of my rimfire cans its very discreet. But if I was going to take a 100 yd shot on a tree rat, the Velocitors would be my choice. I have a few more varieties of 22 I havent tried yet, included various Eley offerings, so I can't comment on them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I've ordered some CCI velocitor, CCI 45gr subsonic, and have thousands of CCI standard velocity on hand. I'll probably get some Eley and Remington Viper before my next range trip.

The 45gr may actually be subsonic out of my RAR, since standard velocity and most things labeled subsonic aren't. I'm guessing it's caused by the humid air of Alabama lowering the speed of sound.

Would I get much benefit from a $300-$400 rimfire scope? My current scope is second focal plane, but all my holdovers will be done at 9x and I like the size of the reticle at 9x.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've ordered some CCI velocitor, CCI 45gr subsonic, and have thousands of CCI standard velocity on hand. I'll probably get some Eley and Remington Viper before my next range trip.

The 45gr may actually be subsonic out of my RAR, since standard velocity and most things labeled subsonic aren't. I'm guessing it's caused by the humid air of Alabama lowering the speed of sound.

Would I get much benefit from a $300-$400 rimfire scope? My current scope is second focal plane, but all my holdovers will be done at 9x and I like the size of the reticle at 9x.

View Quote

If you have a good reticle, as noted above, with a 50 yard zero, your drop at 100 will be somewhere around 1.6 to 1.8 mils. Easy with the right reticle.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#36]
For a high velocity round I recommend the Aguila 36 grain hollow points. They are very accurate for a high velocity round and typically in non panic times cheap too.

My next recommendation would be the Aguila subsonic hollow point round.

I have taken squirrels with head shots at 75 yd using one mil of elevation and at 100 yd 2 Mills of elevation is a dead on head shot.

My savage BV22 is under 1MOA at these distances.

I have a Bushnell Engage scope that I got on a very good deal from midway for about $250 it is an extremely reliable and clear scope for the money.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
17 HMR

/thread
View Quote

This guy gets it. Use the right round for the right purpose. .17 HMR will slay them at 100 and be far more accurate than .22 LR.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Subsonic match ammo will be the most accurate but Velocitors and minimags have always  performed well on gophers at that distance.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:18:19 AM EDT
[#39]
What, no love for the .22 mag.  A nicely set up bolt gun with a good scope will do the job 'IF" you are up to it.  I wonder how many realize just how small a squirrel is at 100 yds.  And how hard they are to see.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 3:57:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
17 HMR

/thread
View Quote

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 4:02:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Buy some of the Norma tac from psa for 4.99 a box. It’s ely ammo and groups well for the money.
View Quote

Norma Tac shoots well but that has to be the filthies .22 ammo ever made.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Personally, for shooting squirrels at 100 yards I’d want more magnification on the high end, maybe 12x to 15x. You wont be shooting at a bright orange target on a solid background.  

For shooting at 100 yards with a 22LR you’ll need a scope with a good reticle or plan to dial.  

I’ll agree you need to find what’s accurate in your rifle, snd don’t worry about it being HP or high velocity.  Repeatable is key with good DOPE.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm fully aware of how challenging killing a squirrel at 100 yards with a 22lr is. I've brained them at 75 yards before using a $50 Simmons 4x. I think the accuracy of the RAR and being blessed with 20/15 vision will make 100 yards possible with better glass. Better do it now while my eyes are young.

This won't be my primary squirrel hunting tactic. This is strictly for late season when the woods are open and after deer hunting I know where all the nest trees are. I usually set up about 50 yards from the nest tree and will be the range of most shots, and why I want a 50 yard zero. I would like to be able to stretch out to 100 if necessary, and I can bring a rangefinder.

The main reason I'm pursuing this is how much fun I had shooting 22lr at 100 yards. I thought easily hitting a 4" steel plate using holdovers on my first outing with crap ammo was pretty good. I usually find some gun tinkering projects to do over the summer while I'm not hunting, and with ammo costs 22lr is the way to go this year.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
17 HMR

/thread
View Quote
I love that round
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Most of the hypervelocity and quiets group like crap for me. I have best results from Match, SV, and HV in that order.

Basically whatever 22lr you can find is deadly at 100yrds. Use what is most accurate in YOUR gun.

I think the transsonic thing isn’t as big a deal as it’s cracked up to be. Just test your ammo at 100 before making a final decision. I would start at 50yds though, make life easier to rule out the obvious no-go’s.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Good luck, but I'll guarantee you'll want more than 9x magnification. On a range its fine but in the woods a squirrel is a mighty small target at 100 yards. As far as ammo, that's something you and your setup will have to determine. The Velociters mentioned above are one of the better HV rounds I've found, also Eley makes a HV round I've heard a lot of good things about. As far as  a hollow point, I wouldn't worry too much about that as at 100 yards the velocity has dropped enough it isn't going to open up anyway.
Once you settle on a load you also may want to make sure that YOU are capable of taking a squirrel at 100. Get off the bench and practice from field positions and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Eley or lapua ammo.
Even SK is better than all mentioned..
View Quote

Depending what works best in your rifle.

My 10-22 takedown shoots SK Standard Plus very well, and I have a fair amount of it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Good luck, but I'll guarantee you'll want more than 9x magnification. On a range its fine but in the woods a squirrel is a mighty small target at 100 yards. As far as ammo, that's something you and your setup will have to determine. The Velociters mentioned above are one of the better HV rounds I've found, also Eley makes a HV round I've heard a lot of good things about. As far as  a hollow point, I wouldn't worry too much about that as at 100 yards the velocity has dropped enough it isn't going to open up anyway.
Once you settle on a load you also may want to make sure that YOU are capable of taking a squirrel at 100. Get off the bench and practice from field positions and see what happens.
View Quote

Refer to post #43 in the thread. I know it's hard, which is why I want to pursue it. Everyone's doubt just makes me want to do it more. I've gotten pretty far in life and career when doing things people tell me I can't do. Murica!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

The aguilas might actually still do the HP thing.

They expand from a pistol at 25yds, and rifle at 50.

They also probably aren’t going to be accurate enough for OP to consistently hit the kill zone on a squirrel at 100. So kind of a moot point.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#50]
CCI velociter is ammo I normally hunt with.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top