Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2013 6:58:56 PM EDT
I love my takedown that I picked up on wednesday. I have put almost 500 rounds through it the past 5 days and I have found some shortcomings..

I LOVE this thing.. but....

I hate the trigger
I hate the mag release (with the 10rd mags, 25 is easy, AK style.
I hate the bolt catch release...

I have seen and used today, the Tac-Sol extended mag latch, and for $30-40, I'm pretty much set on this..

I have heard Volquartsen (sp) makes a replacement mag catch release...

Now for the trigger. Don't need/want some super light target trigger. This is a pack gun for life, so something METAL and doesn't feel like a sandy vagina would be great.

After these 3 items, what else would be wise to replace?

And some pics of it with 15000 of its closest friends.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The volquartsen target hammer helped my trigger alot

Only 40 bucks or so
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
A sling and an oversize bolt knob.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Modification to a stock bolt catch is free and can be done with instructions on the interwebz, and a decent trigger (there are lots out there).  That would leave you quite a bit of extra, if I were you I'd buy a sling, mags, and ammo w/ that even though it looks like you have quite a bit.  If you think you may want to suppress it at some point then use the extra $$ to have the barrel threaded, get higher iron sights to see over the can, and buy a cheap polyurethane buffer.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#4]
You can do the bolt catch mod yourself fairly easy but I got a combo target hammer and bolt release package on sale from Midway for $35

Linky

It's all your'e really gonna need. It's pretty much plug and play and takes about 5 minutes to install if your handy. You won't need the included springs. It dropped my trigger pull from 6+/- to 2.5-3 pounds. So much better!

The mag release is a matter of preference. I have three 10/22's and the all carry different releases but I can't tell you which is the best. I guess I prefer the Ruger extended paddle style.

roy d...but then again anything is better than stock
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeah...the poly buffer can be made for $0.71 and a trip to home depot rather than buying one. Just buy a poly 1/4" x 3" threaded bolt (has about 1-1/2" of smooth shank) and can easily be trimmed to the same size as the metal OEM buffer and installed in 5 minutes give or take.

roy d...provided you're handy and watched youtube prior
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#6]
You can do a trigger job on the stock trigger yourself, I've done a few.  I used to have the instructions but you can probably find them over on rimfirecentral.com.  

I've got a few 10/22's
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Honestly, I'd just do a fluff and buff on the trigger/hammer.  It wasn't that horrible when you were over here the other day.  That said, if it were my toy, I'd get the mag and bolt releases, a poly buffer (or just make one like the above posters) and shoot the hell out of it.  If you really want a new trigger, you can get a VQ pack from midway for not a horrible price.  Either complete drop in or just the trigger pack.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#8]
First I would go with the volquartsen target hammer as mentioned above.

Then I would get a Tactical Solutions 10/22 Extended Magazine Release. Here's a link to what they look like and cost.
http://shootersdiscount.com/cart/accessories/tactical-solutions/tactical-solutions-10/22-extended-magazine-release-blue.html

I have both of these on a Ruger Charger and they work great.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Form 1

(not mine, but I really want to build one)
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I have Kidd stuff on my 10/22 and love it.

You can pick up his drop in trigger job, auto bolt release, and extended mag release all for under your budget of 200 bucks.

ETA: Throw in a bolt buffer too. They are like 6 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#11]
See above, I think this would be your best bang for the buck. Kidd stuff, can't go wrong. Top notch.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Match chamber, barrel crown and bolt work by Que (when he starts taking new work). Tier II trigger job by Brimstone. This will cost closer to $300, but it can be done in stages.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I mod'd my bolt release, added Tech Sites, and a Kidd charging handle and bolt buffer.

I love the tech sites, but wouldnt mind having a small scope similar to yours on it. Problem is, I have too many other projects going, including a full Kidd build.

Great little carbine though, and I think I will keep it KISS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top