Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2011 10:29:16 AM EDT
So here is where I'm at.

I bought one of those Magnum Research 22 WMR Semis last summer on a whim. It is a great gun and I have no problem with it, but I am not having a much fun as I thought I would have. I have a 15-22 that I shoot much more and i always have a good time with it. I feel like I do not have the patience to take my time with the MR and shoot it like a target gun.

When I try to shoot groups with it, I get bored, but when I use the gun to play poker at the range (shooting playing cards), I have a good time, and I know I can hit the cards with ease.

This past winter, I had the chance to shoot a friends Marlin Model 39. His was customized with a straight stock, 16" octagon barrel and the thing was a dream to shoot.

I am thinking about getting a nice lever 22LR to replace the MR. I would leave the lever with irons and just use it for fun plinking. I do not hunt, so the 22WMR does not pose any bigger benefit then the 22LR. By swapping, I will be stocking only 1 caliber instead of 2, and a cheaper caliber at that.

So what do you guys say? Swap the MR for a nice 22 Lever or keep the MR?

ETA: Doing lotsa thinking, and I am going to stick with the MR. I have it all set-up the way I want, and I know what the rifle can / can't do. I really like it and have no issues with it. Just gonna stick with what I have and have fun.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#1]
If it were me, I'd keep the MR but sell off the trigger group to help offset the cost of the levergun. You can always stick a factory 10/22 trigger group back in the MR pretty cheaply.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If it were me, I'd keep the MR but sell off the trigger group to help offset the cost of the levergun. You can always stick a factory 10/22 trigger group back in the MR pretty cheaply.

Unfortunately, it's only one or the other.

The MR came with a factory 10/22 trigger group, which was crap, so I replaced it with a KIDD 2 stage. If I sell the 2-stage, I'm selling the whole rifle.

I was doin some thinking, and I am probably gonna keep the MR. A lever will be fun, but I already have a plinking toy. Also, just because it is a target quality gun, doesn't mean I can't use it for fun. I am jus gonna forget all about groups and shoot fun things and I should be okay.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I was doing some looking and I came across the Henry Frontier Rifle. It is a very pretty rifle, blued, 20" Ocatagon barrel, Straight grip walnut stock, and available in 22 WMR.

I was thinking, keep the MR, and maybe sell / trade the 15-22 for a 22 WMR lever. Still stock one ammo type, have a fun toy (lever) and have the target style rifle (MR). This might be a better option for me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are not hunting, I would seriously rethink going with .22 mag. if all you are doing is punching paper then .22LR. is just fine and very cost effective.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you are not hunting, I would seriously rethink going with .22 mag. if all you are doing is punching paper then .22LR. is just fine and very cost effective.

+1

The cost of shooting the .22 Mag is MUCH greater than a .22 LR. If I were just plinking and doing practice I would be using a .22, NOT a .22 Mag. The .22 Mag is a fine round for what it was made for: hunting game that is too big for a .22 LR and not really big enough for a centerfire.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:24:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all for the input.

If it makes any difference, I am usually at the rifle range maybe 2 to 3 times a year if I'm lucky, so paying a little extra for ammo I don't mind. If I was shooting every weekend, then I would go with the 22LR, no brainer. I am usually at the clays section 9.75 times out of 10.

Also, the only problem I see with trading in the MR for a 22LR Lever is that I wouldnt have any type of "reliably accurate" rifle. All I would have is 2 plinking toys (I have no other rifles). While this may work for plinking, it would make it more difficult if I try to reach out past 50 yards and want to hit a target reliably. My 15-22 has a red dot on it, and the Lever I would leave with irons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top