Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2010 6:58:37 PM EDT
Well here is some of my first stuff with the Savage I got recently.  Its a 93r17 stainless and bull barrel also has accutrigger.  Its awesome shoots great and runs good.  Doesnt seem to like the hollow points at all is very picky feeding them.  The plastic tips are great tho.  This is the first 17hmr I have owned and its a blast.

These are some of the first few shots i had after sighting in.  50yds on a cold day with no wind.  I was shooting from a bench seated with the bipod as shown.  Not sure what the random shots are from look to be 223s from sighting the ar in?  Anyway thats 5 shots in a row at 50yds.

Link Posted: 3/3/2010 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the new Savages. Nice rig.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#2]
savages are great!
keep trying different ammo and that group will shrink in half
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Is your bolt really stiff on that? I bought a savage cub T for my daughter, but it's very hard to close or open the lever. It's almost like they needed to shave off an extra 0.05". It's easily 5x's stiffer than my Mosin Nagant M44. There is NO way a young child could open or close it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Good Day,
                                                                                                                 My new Savage bolt gun needed some grease on the pin at the rear of the bolt that is part of the cocking mechanism.
                                                                                                                 Best,
                                                                                                                 Rob
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had a few of these over the years. Most recently just like yours in SS. Mine liked the Hornady Varmint Express rounds best. It would shoot groups like that at 100 yards barring any wind or shooter error. I made 150 yard shots on gophers regularly. I found mine needed about 100 rounds to "settle in" and produce great groups. I also found that groups started to open up after 50-60 rounds and a good cleaning was the cure.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#6]

very nice!  I LIKE!     what optics are on there?  nice little group, that would do the job on the smallest of vermin, eh.

I've got one that looks very similar.  I went cheap for now and on sale for like $80 I bought one of those BSA sweet 17 scopes with the BDC turret calibrated for the .17; so far I'm pleasantly surprised.  I had to sand off a TON of the wood stock to get the barrel to freefloat.  It was weird cause the stock only touched on one side; it was like the action was set into the stock a slight angle.  
   Before doing that I couldn't group it for nuthin.  Now she drives em in there just like yours.  I can't wait to take it out on a good varmint shoot.  Mine heads to Tornado Tech for threads here in a couple weeks...  gonna put a Checkmate on the end of her.  :-)

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a nice rifle you got there.  Mine's the blued version with the thumbhole stock.  I just switched over to the Mueller APV scope and I haven't had a chance to zero it yet.  Now that the weather is nicer, it's about time I took her out.  Happy shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top