Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 12:21:56 AM EDT
I have a Tapco Intrafuse stock on my Ruger 10/22 and I'd like to attach a flash hider for a more aggressive look. I'm digging the YHM Phantom 5C2 right now, and I'm looking at them online but it says "threaded barrels only" I'm not looking to shorten the barrel or anything, so would it be possible to thread the barrel myself or is there another mounting option that I'm just not aware of? Also if threading is the only way to go, what should I expect to pay for a gunsmith to do it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#1]
The problem with the Ruger 10/22 rifle is that the front sight is on the tip of the barrel. You can send you barrel to be threaded, however you will loose the front sight in doing so. If you are running an optic already then it might not be an issue for you. I've heard ADCO does good work for about $65 or so, Link. You want 1/2x28TPI if you want to use your AR-15 YHM Phantom flash hider. You can buy an aftermarket barrel that is already threaded as well at a few different places. I have also seen a flash hider that slips over the barrel and uses a pin to hold it onto the front sight, Brownells has one Link.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:16:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a ton brotha
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:28:11 AM EDT
[#3]
how difficult would it be to move the front sight? I'm planning on running a red dot, but this is also my survival gun so I'd like to keep that option
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:45:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
how difficult would it be to move the front sight? I'm planning on running a red dot, but this is also my survival gun so I'd like to keep that option

You will need:

Hammer
Pin punch

1. Look at the front sight from the butt to the muzzle
2. Place the punch on the left side of the site tower (remember - butt facing you)
3. Tap the sight out.

You will be tapping the sight out from left to right.

To reinstall, tap back in from right to left.

Edit: Here are some flash hiders that DO NOT require you to take the front sight of (I believe). They just slip around the sides of the front sight.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3 - Gives it an AR look
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm starting to sound like a shill for this guy - this is the second time this week I've mentioned him - but www.hi-desertdog.com will thread your factory barrel and move the front sight back for you. Basically, he cuts the front sight off, shortens the bbl if you want, threads it, then drills out and internally threads the front sight base and permanently mounts it back on. He did two barrels for me for suppressed use and, although it took a little time (granted, he's getting a lot of business and lives in the middle of Bumblefuck, NV), his work was top notch.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Something like THIS but with a more aggressive look like THIS is what I'm after. Any leads would be appreciated before I just snag the TI version.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I think you are out of luck if you want a hider like the phantom unless you buy a new threaded barrel or pay to get your barrel threaded.

You might be able to get the TI hider and use a dremel or sawl-zawl (hope I spelled that right) and cut little triangles out of it and use a grinder to grind the tips to the slope that the Phantom has.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Just found this on RFC...

Link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top