Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2004 10:07:05 PM EDT
I picked this rifle up as an inexpensive plinker.  The stock was beat to hell with a little rust on the barrel.  I tried a Ramline stock, but the original was more comfortable so I grabbed a couple of Christmas tree trimmings, some Krylon camo colors and tried my luck with my first camo job.  A good cleaning and touch-up with 44/40 cold blue restored the barrel.  The scope is one of the cheap, compact imports I had around from a failed AK experiment.  I've got about $100. invested.  

Looking forward to heading to the range with a brick of ammo.

Link Posted: 12/15/2004 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks nice , good job
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
nice camo job
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I probably couldn't do a camo job that nice if my life depended on it. Very cool!
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#4]
$100, damn.   I spent $120 one the one i bought last week and i thought i did pretty good.    Mine is about 95%  with a few dings in the stock and a small scratch on the receiver.

Ben, The_Emu
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I probably couldn't do a camo job that nice if my life depended on it. Very cool!

The original stock was in such bad shape it was one of those "What have I got to lose?" kind of things.  I figured if I screwed it up it would take all of five minutes to find a replacement original stock.

Or a Rhino Lining, tough, flat black job...  
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 6:35:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
$100, damn.   I spent $120 one the one i bought last week and i thought i did pretty good.    Mine is about 95%  with a few dings in the stock and a small scratch on the receiver.

Ben, The_Emu

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

This was a $75. beater that I think spent most of it's life in a pick-up tool box, behind the seat or in the trunk.  A guy I work with had his grandfather pass on earlier in the year and he inherited the rifle.  Although not anti-gun, he has chosen not to have one in his home with small children.  It was a great deal and we both walked away satisfied.
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 6:43:05 AM EDT
[#7]
That turned out very nice Hoppy. Congrats!
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 2:50:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How did you do the camo job?  Looks great.

Wal-Mart = Krylon.

Krylon Primer/Sealer
Krylon Camo paint in Sand, Olive and Brown.
Krylon Matte Finish

After sanding, sealing and final sanding I shot a couple coats of the Sand color and let that dry (about 15 minutes with Krylon).  Then I rummaged through the Christmas tree trimmings and picked out some nice, somewhat flat branches and while holding a small frond in my left hand I put it across the stock and shot the Olive in large blotches from my right. I did the same, to a lesser degree with the Brown.  Let it dry and sealed everything with the Matte Finish. After a couple of weeks I went across it with some Johnsons Wax.
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Very nice job.

I once bought a like new 10/22 at a pawn shop. It had a 4X full size Tasco scope on it with 1" rings, a sling and studs, a case, and a gun lock, out the door for $125.   I just love 10/22s, most bang for the buck you can get.
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I love 10/22's, got a couple.  Try the butler creek extended mag release, I like it much better then the stock one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I love 10/22's, got a couple.  Try the butler creek extended mag release, I like it much better then the stock one.

I've got to say, the mag release is my biggest complaint with the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice job.  Maybe more than you'd like to put into it; add a Volquartsen mag release, hammer, and bolt catch; slicks it up real nice.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice camo job!  The 1022 is a great all around plinker/fun gun.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#15]
if you remove the barrel band you will increase accuracy. or you can dremel it so that it doesn't touch the barrel. another cheap upgrade.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
if you remove the barrel band you will increase accuracy. or you can dremel it so that it doesn't touch the barrel. another cheap upgrade.

This sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. An internet friend had great success with it, it really tightenend up groups for him. I tried it on two different rifles, not once but twice, with five different kinds of ammo. It shot a little better in two cases and quite a bit WORSE in most of the others. At any rate, it costs virtually nothing to test on your gun. If it works, and you still want the look of the barrel band, then you can go to the trouble of Dremeling out the band for clearance.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks good, nice camo job..I picked up a 10/22 like that cheap,,I hadnt thought about camo-ing it , but jus may now ive seen this one.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I like it
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Dude, been looking at my old 10/22 for a long while deciding what to do with it. You gave me a winter project. Hope mine comes out as good......off to get some krylon
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Dude, been looking at my old 10/22 for a long while deciding what to do with it. You gave me a winter project. Hope mine comes out as good......off to get some krylon

Hell, if it doesn't come out the way you want it, shoot another base coat and start over.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Sanded, primed and sand base is drying as i type. So far looks SWEET. Thanks for an awesome idea.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 5:49:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Great score!! I like the camo job, it looks great I may have to try that myself.  BEWARE of the 10/22 they're like freakin M&Ms, you can't  just have one, and if you do have only one, it will use it's powers on you and you'll be buying accesories for it  
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Great score!! I like the camo job, it looks great I may have to try that myself.  BEWARE of the 10/22 they're like freakin M&Ms, you can't  just have one, and if you do have only one, it will use it's powers on you and you'll be buying accesories for it....

No really enjoy  

Took it to the range today and it shoots great!  Federal loose-round brick will eat the center out of a target at 50 yds.

I received a couple of Butler Creek 25 round Steel Lips mags yesterday so I wanted to see how they run.  I started out with a few stoppages, but they were more extraction/ejection problems than feed problems.  A drop of CLP to the extractor pivot and bolt track had it pretty well worked out by the time my brick ran out.  These 25 rounders are hungry!
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How did you do the camo job?  Looks great.

Wal-Mart = Krylon.

Krylon Primer/Sealer
Krylon Camo paint in Sand, Olive and Brown.
Krylon Matte Finish

After sanding, sealing and final sanding I shot a couple coats of the Sand color and let that dry (about 15 minutes with Krylon).  Then I rummaged through the Christmas tree trimmings and picked out some nice, somewhat flat branches and while holding a small frond in my left hand I put it across the stock and shot the Olive in large blotches from my right. I did the same, to a lesser degree with the Brown.  Let it dry and sealed everything with the Matte Finish. After a couple of weeks I went across it with some Johnsons Wax.

Great effect!  Thanks for the idea.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Hoppy, all done with my project. It came out SWEET, if i do say so myself.  Thanks for the awesome idea. Saved my money.  Ordered a Garand from CMP today  
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hoppy, all done with my project. It came out SWEET, if i do say so myself.  Thanks for the awesome idea. Saved my money.  Ordered a Garand from CMP today  

Post a pic if ya can, I'd like to see it.

You're breaking my heart on the Garand.  I was going to order one with the tax return this year, but more pressing matters have come up..  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top