Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2004 12:56:01 AM EDT
My girlfriend has bough a 10/22 w/ choate pistolgrip stock...recently bought some new 25 rnd steellips from BC. The mags are about ran in, so they don't give too much trouble. But here's the kicker.

out of every 5 rounds, one gives a failure to fire. When trying to extract the round it seems like the extractor on the bolt has'nt caught the round when it was chambered. So it needs to be pried out of the chamber with a fingernail.

I suspect that when this happens, the firingpin isn't given the space to effectively strike the rim of the casing hence the failure to fire.

The extractor is a ruger stock factory one. Some help needed here folks

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 1:00:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a Volquartson extractor.
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 1:14:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Haven't even figured out how to get the extractor out, just cleaned it as it sits in the bolt.

Where do I get the volquartsen?
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 2:20:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Push on the extractor on the hook end of it.  You will see a slot with a strip of metal on the ejection port side of the bolt, right under the charging handle.  That holds the extractor in place by spring tension.  It takes a little working to get it to pop out.  You can't break it, but not much force is needed, more finesse.  Use a blade screwdriver to rock that strip of metal.

The Volq and Power Custom extractors are both excellent.  The PC cured my FTE problems with the new mags 100%.    Midway, Brownells and Natchez all sell one or both of these extractors.

There are better instructions (with pics) on how to get the extractor out, just search!

Cheers,

Michael
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 4:29:53 AM EDT
[#4]
www.hawktecharms.com/ruger/10-22.htm

Put the bolt in a clear plastic grocery bag before you remove the extractor... Otherwise you might lose it and/or the spring if your finger slips.
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 4:59:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with changing your extractor.

VQ and PC both make good products.

Cheap Gun Parts
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#6]
similar question;

i just built my first 10/22 and put in the VQ extractor..but i'm getting FTE's at least 1-2 every 20rds.  ammo is federal bulk, mags are factory 10rd.  barrel is SS fluted adams and bennett w/bentz chamber.

normal break in problems or is there a way to tune the extractor?  i'll be trying different ammo next week.  i've been shooting amazing groups with the federal.
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Use copper coated ammo
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 12:16:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Use copper coated ammo

how will that affect FTE?
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 6:43:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Get a Volquartson extractor.

+1

i havent had a single problem with fte after i put one of these in.

i got mine from here rimfire sports & customs

have bought a bunch of stuff from them and their shipping is fast and service is great

eta: they have free shipping too
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:25:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Clark extractors are good too.  

The Power Custom Titanium Extractor is good, but mine wore out quickly I thought.  

Volquartsen is the best though,  and the cheapest too, by a buck or 2.

For the FTF problem, try a Power Custom tool steel firing pin

Also, if you go with a Volquartsen ultramatch hammer and sear  it will improve lots of things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top