Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 8:58:58 AM EDT
Howdy all.

I picked up 8 of the BC 10/22 x 25Rd mags.  I haven't had a chance to fire off any rounds from them yet but I have a hunch that they are going to fail me.

The problem I see is that when inserted & seated into the magwell, if a small amount of pressure is applied to the front of the mag, the mag will move rearward which in essence tilts the top of the mag down.  The magazine will remain seated in the mag well but stays in this tilted position which causes the nose of the bullet to hit the bottom of the chamber, like a car hitting a brick wall. Push the magazine forward at the bottom, the mag tilts back to the correct position & the bullet is lined up to feed properly.

On the front of the mag's mouth, there is a round detent which fit's into a hole at the front of the magwell.  The detent seems to be too short to get a positive hold into the recess. In other words, the detent doesn't hold and the pressure allows the detent to pop out of the recess.

Anybody else see this? I bring it up because of the reports of mags not working with the first 5-6 rounds.  The spring pressure coupled with the recoil, I wouldn't be surprised if the mag moving/tilting isn't causing the malfs...  If this is causing jams, the bolt is locking open with the bullet nose hitting the bottom of the chamber, if once the magazine is pushed forward, the bolt closes- that's the problem.

I'll put some rounds through the mags this weekend, but I'm not impressed upon first observation.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I have noticed similiar fitting problems with my preban steel lips mags.  You have to push them forward a little bit when you insert them in order to get them to lock up, otherwise I get the problem you describe.

They are pretty tight once you seat them, and function fine after that.  You can pop them out again if you apply enough pressure on the end of the mag.

I don't think the 10/22 mag well was really designed for such a heavy mag with the potential for so much leverage on a long 25rd mag.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply back40.

I wasn't able to try em out this weekend. (Antelope hunting got in my way)  It's my hopes that they'll stay seated when firing.  It seems to me that the pressure needed to get the mag to pop out of the detent and tilt is pretty minimal.  

Take care.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two of the preban 25 round magazines. I have fired hundreds of rounds through them with no problems to speak of. They seem to seat nicely in my 10/22.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I just picked up two of them today for 20 bucks each and put 500 rounds through them  One of them had trouble feeding the first three rounds but by the end they were both perfect and I didn't notice any premature wear.  Someone in another thread mentioned an after market Mag Release that improved retention of heavy mags but I can't remember who made it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:36:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had similar experiences with the 25rders.  One thing to watch that hasn't been brought up is that these mags can load 26 rounds (at least my three from Natchez do).  This may also cause a problem with the first few rounds.  

My problems were solved thanks to the helpful commnets here, load um up, store for a day or two and they work much better.  Rinse, fold, repeat, no problems.

Cheers,

Michael
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:00:23 AM EDT
[#6]
My new BC 25's seem to work pretty good
Of course the whole mag well thing on the 10/22 was designed with the factory 10 round and any of the aftermarket  25+ mags have too much "leverage" . Any attempt to grasp the rifle with your hand on the mag or resting the gun on the mag when shooting off the bench is more than likely to cause problemns
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#7]
another sad story here too.

I just got back from the range and all 3 of my 25rders failed me in some way.

I read the previous posts and loaded up the night before and even sprayed silicone in two mags to slick them up.

well on mag 's follwer sticks half way down the mag and the other two either double feed or fail to extract.

I hope the bugs work out soon or I just wasted 120.00 bucks for 6 BC 25 mags.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought one for 20 bucks. I have not tested it yet. We shall see if it is any good.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey all,

I"ve had mine loaded for around a week now... Still haven't shot em.  (Antelope season seems more pressing at the moment)

Sounding pretty much hit or miss.

If I ever get the 10/22 out I'll post a report on their performance, but just from what I can tell- if the mag tilts- it won't feed.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had three hotlips mags since '91 and they've seen literally thousands of rounds in that time without a problem that I can attribute to the mags.

Now I'm waiting for BC to fire up their steel-lips mag production again.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I've noticed something today when I took my new  Butler Creeks.

It seems hollow points have a problem feeding, when I switched over to solids there were no problems at all.

any of you notice  or try this?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top