Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2003 9:00:48 PM EDT
How much does it cost to do a job on a 10/22 without going too overboard? I'm talking a new barrel and stock and the cost of labor for slapping it all together. I'm looking to buy a good .22 for cheap and was wondering if I should go with a full setup like a Marlin or Thompson Center or should I build a moderate 10/22. I'm not a big fan of tricking out firearms so the 10/22 job would be at a minimum. Would a minimum make a good 10/22? What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:27:59 AM EDT
[#1]
What exactly is your intended purpose for the rifle?  A new barrel and stock will set you back at least $200.00 but if you are talking about bench rest super accuracy then you might want to spend up to a couple hundred more on the internals which would have a more dramatic effect on how she performs.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. You pretty much answered my question. I'm not looking for super accuracy that would be required for bench rest. My buddy and I were thinking about scoping a couple of .22's and using them as just accurate plinkers that we can have some fun with. So, I'm really just looking at a stock and barrel.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:25:41 AM EDT
[#3]
The cheapest and best bbl/stock combo i have found is the one at J&G sales in Shotgun News magazine.  They sell a 16" or 20" bbl and a hogue overmold stock for 110$.  
I got the 16" and put on a simmons 6-18, vq target hammer and bolt buffer.  It shoots under 3/4" 5 shot groups at 50 yards off sand bags with Winchester dynapoints, cci mini mags, wolf,and federal gold.
And as far as putting it together, its verry easy. For the barrel you take out 2 allen screws that hold a v-block that clamp the reciever to the barrel.    If the bbl and reciever are still stuck together slam the bolt home a few times and it will dislodge the barrel.
When you put the new barrel on, time it so the extractor on the bolt is in the center of the extractor grove on the new barrel. And be verry careful when tightening the 2 allen screws, if you strip them your in deep do do.
Another thing to rember is with a new bbl the chamber is tighter so its a good idea to buy a better than stock extractor.  They run about 10$
Another good,cheap upgrade is to dump the factory dovetail scope mount and get a Power Custom weaver mount, i think they are under 14$. And with this mount you also get more clearence to mount a bigger scope.

Hey Shotgun i am in beaverton, so if you need help or want to try before you buy give me a call.

Paul Pribula
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Beaverton???  Don't happen to work for that junky =) scope manufacturer there do ya?  That would be a cool job!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. I already bought the rifle but the add-ons are gonna have to wait until after the holidays. I've been lurking around rimfirecentral.com and figured my first purchase would be the hogue grip and a whistle pig or green mountain bbl. The rifle already shoots pretty good so I have to debate if it's worth the chance of really messing it up by trying to do add-ons to the action for a little accuracy that I probably don't need. I know enough about firearms to know to leave them alone. But, I was kicking around the idea of buying a used banged up one to tinker with.
And no I don't work for Loopy but I did grow up less than 5 miles from there.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope, I dont work there eather, Im a electrician.  
The whistle pig is a good light barrel, I have one of the brushed aluminum ones and its a great shooter, about the same as the clerke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top