Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2003 9:09:06 AM EDT
I'm looking for an inexpensive scope for a .22. I have found a Tasco and BSA 2-9 32mm for around $46.00. Is one brand better than the other? I'll be using the gun for plinking.

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had good luck with simmons on my 22s, they run about $40
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#2]
What type of shooting will you be mostly doing? Hunting? What distances? Target/plinking?

For general hunting you will want a non-AO rimfire scope. For target/plinking, you will probably prefer an AO type scope.

For a non-AO scope, I like the Weaver RV 2.5-7. Costs more than the Simmons and Tasco, though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are set on those scopes I would go with the tasco.  If you are willing to spend a bit more then let me recommend this fine scope by simmons white tail classic
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Simmons Pro Hunter (I think that's the name) on my 10/22. It has been fine thus far, having been on the rifle for about 7 years now.

From everything I've seen, anything made by BSA is best avoided.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Personally I think a good all around adjustable scope for a 22 would be somewhere around a 2.5 -10 x40 power. There is a plethora of scopes in the 3 - 9 x 40 range.

IMHO anything over 10 power is a waste 99.9% of the time. On a budget anything with a wide zoom or high power is asking for quality to be cut somewhere.

My used 10/22 came with an "AccuSport" 4X on it. I thought I'd be swapping it out ASAP but it has been amazing on how adequate it's been. I'm going to get a better scope, but now it's because I want to, not that I need to.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:40:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for the Simmons.  The Tasco isn't bad, but I feel that a comparably priced Simmons is better, and if you're willing to pay another $20 or so, the Simmons are far superior.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:32:43 AM EDT
[#7]
a 70.00 scope i recently purchased and like is the bsa sweet 17 - 2x7x32 . i was amazed at the clarity of this cheap scope regaurdless of power setting , i didn't have to fool with the ao , unless range changed of course . one draw back to the bsa scopes is thier power selector , it is large and will block some bolts unless you use a medium or hi mount , on semi's , no problem .
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 2:38:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What type of shooting will you be mostly doing? Hunting? What distances? Target/plinking?

For general hunting you will want a non-AO rimfire scope. For target/plinking, you will probably prefer an AO type scope.

For a non-AO scope, I like the Weaver RV 2.5-7. Costs more than the Simmons and Tasco, though.

So do I.  Damn good rimfire scope for the money.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:52:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I just installed a 3x9 BSA deerhunter with illuminated plex that a friend gave to me.

You have to turn down the power to 3x for close shots about 15 feet away. And at fifty yards I can see the holes the 22lr makes.

The lighted plex came in handy during plinking after 4pm.

I don't know how long the scope will hold up, hopefully I won't have any problems. I read stories both pro and con. Ran about 500 rounds through the 10/22 this past Saturday and everyone that shot it thought the scope was "hella cool"

Rifle scopes has it for $64.95.

http://www.riflescopes.com/store/departments.asp?dept=211

Midway has it for $63.69.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/487702

Dan

PS all my hunting rifles with scopes are Leupolds and one Burris Elite 4200.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top