Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2003 6:49:12 AM EDT
The ARFCOM regular crowd has no problems voicing opinions so here goes.

I am looking for opinions on which aftermarket mags for the 10/22 are best. Yeah, I know its hard to beat the factory mags for reliability, but they are hard to handle for my two sons (8 and 6). I am looking at aftermarket 10 rounders.

The only ones I've seen thus far are Butler Creek Hot Lips, Steel Lips and Eagle.
I have two Butler Creek 25-rounders and they seem to work well. Any other brands? Weigh in.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll second butler creek, I've used them only though. I have heard mixed reviews of ramline, and I think eagle made a metal hi-cap mag, but as usual prices are freakin' outrageous! like $60 for a 10/22 mag?!?!  I'll stick to my 10 rounders till the ban (I hope) expires.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had butler creek hot lips, and steal lips.  I would stick with the hot lips, I have many FTF when i use the steel lips.  I have tried to mod one of my steal lips to work better but I have been unsucessful.

B
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
hmm, I've no problems with the steel lips yet...

Today I went and splurged... I bought the speed loader device for them.. real cool, what a handy device to have for the Butler Creek mags.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 3 of the 25 rnd. butler creek hot lips mags and I cant get one of them to function without a jam. Although, my 10/22 is a customized target model, so its not realy made for a high rate of fire.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
hmm, I've no problems with the steel lips yet...

Today I went and splurged... I bought the speed loader device for them.. real cool, what a handy device to have for the Butler Creek mags.

Yup, that little loader is well worth it too, no more scraped thumbs from loading, and man, my hands stay buttloads cleaner.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I shot my 10/22 today with the steel lips..

100% reliable.

That speed loader is 'da-bomb'!!!!

(my daughter even WANTED to load the mags with it!!!!)
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I got four of the 10 round eagles for about 25 bucks on gunbroker.  They jammed alot until I gave them a squirt of CLP and excercised the mags with a small screwdriver...  The last big box of walmart winchester didn't jam up once...  
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Dupe thread?
Oh well, here goes:

Quoted:
Personally, I hate the Ram-Line mags.
Close to USA mags in reliability, IMO.

Had one Condor, it was hit/miss.

I have four Butler Creeks, all have been flawless since day one.
Two 'Hot-Lips' (plastic), and two 'Steel Lips'.

Mitchell made some funky 50-rounders, but they are nearly inpo$$ible to find now.

YMMV

(+1)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top