Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2003 4:54:49 PM EDT
Currently, my only .22 is my Marlin Papoose.

I love the Papoose, but I want a gun with a scope on it.  Although I can mount a scope on the Papoose, the point of having a break-down rifle is so I can put it in my backpack and hump it around.  I think the scope would get banged around and need constant re-adjusting.

I have also taken some newbies shooting, but they get mad when they can't hit a pop can 15 feet away.  I think optics would solve this.

I'd like a lever action gun basically because they're "cool" and I could feel like a cowboy in the wild west while shooting it.

So what lever-action .22s do you guys like for accuracy, aesthetics, etc.?  The rifle should be able to accept a scope.  Accuracy would be nice, as I will likely use it for small game hunting one day.

So what do you like?

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
My Marlin 39 Golden A is my favorite. Had it since i was knee high to a hoppergrass.

MM419
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Marlin! Woo Hoo, man are they kick ass guns. The 39A is the standard, period. They even have an 1897Texan out now that's a .22LR version of a cowboy rifle. I love my 336 in 30/30, need one in .35 Rem now!
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
browning bl-22, the trigger comes down with the lever.

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I owned a Winchester for a while, but it constantly jammed. So I ditched it and bought a 10/22.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't comment on the lever suggestions, but I might suggest that if your newbie friends can't hit a can from 15 feet that they continue to use irons until they get the hang of them. With a scope, they'll have to adjust to eye relief, exacerbated movement due to magnification, and other factors. Not only that, but if the scope ever broke, they'd be back to the irons again. Just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I haven't shot any others, but I have a Winchester 9422 and it's very nice. I'm no bench rest accuracy maven, but from what I can tell it is capable of some pretty good groups, and I'd definately count on it for hunting small game, with or without a scope.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]
i really love my browning 22blr, the short throw and the fact that the triger and everythings moves keeps you on the trigger. have a win 9422 and a henry goldenboy thats a gas,makes me feel like im shooting a real henry!
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Marlin

SRM
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Marlin 1895CB with a 24" barrel.  It holds enough rounds to shoot just about all day and is plenty accurate and reliable.  The Marlin 39TDS (takedown) with a 16" bbl is a close second.  For the money, the Henry .22 lever guns for $175 are very good.  They are no longer putting any plastic parts on them and will soon have metal replacement front sights and barrel bands available for those of us with early models.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Browning BL-22 I got for my 16th birthday and my wife has her grandfathers Marlin 39 (not sure which exact model: 20" barrel, takedown, straight grip).  They are both very nice guns, but if pressed I'd choose the Marlin.

The lever stroke is much longer but much easier (smoother).  The effort needed to rack the BL-22 eliminates the advantage of the short lever stroke.  The Marlin accepts peep sights (wifes has a Williams), BL-22 does not.  Marlin barrel is heavier (steadier hold).  From a bench they have approximately the same accuracy.  But from a field position the Marlin is more accurate.

Wife takes great pleasure beating me with her Marlin at friendly games of "bounce the can" and "cut the stick in two".

Kent
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  One more question about the Marlin 39--how is it for lefties?  I shoot left handed, and some guns are just a pain in the ass to use that way because of safeties on the wronge side of the receiver and so forth.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:31:47 AM EDT
[#12]
My wifes Marlin has no safety other than the 1/2 cock position.  I don't know if the new ones have a cross bolt safety, but I wouldn't be supprised.  You don't have to use the safety.  Lever actions went over 125 years before the lawyers got involved.

The only on lefty unfrendly feature I can think of is the ejection out the right side of the receiver.  I doubt this should cause much, if any, trouble.

Kent
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The only on lefty unfrendly feature I can think of is the ejection out the right side of the receiver.  I doubt this should cause much, if any, trouble.

Kent

I don't know about the marlin, but I shoot my winchester lefty all the time, no problems.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Marlin! Woo Hoo, man are they kick ass guns. The 39A is the standard, period. They even have an 1897Texan out now that's a .22LR version of a cowboy rifle. I love my 336 in 30/30, need one in .35 Rem now!

My thoughts exactly!  My Marlin 39A was my first rifle when I was 12.  And then I got a Marlin 336C in 30/30 for deer hunting in PA and I bagged one deer a few years later.  MY dad and I used to reload 30/30 just for the hell of it.  Both are awesome!
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for the Browning.  I like that the trigger comes down with the lever avoiding getting your hand pinched, and the extremely short throw means I don't have to do much other than open my firing hand and close it to cycle the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:12:49 AM EDT
[#16]
My Marlin 39D has been my small game hunting rifle for over 10 years.  It is sweet to shoot and it hits what I aim it at.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top