Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2023 8:25:01 PM EDT
I am looking at buying some medical gear for my chest rig, home, car, pocket and whatever and wherever else that I may need to have a kit at arms length. I'm seriously lacking in this area. I am also replacing my RATs tourniquet as my main EDC carry TQ. It will still have a place in my kit and I know the downfalls of it, but its better to have than not have and need something. So, with that out of the way I have some questions.

SOF T or CAT? And why?

I like the design of the SOF T and its features, but know very little about it. I do know the CAT has been around a long time and trust it. Would you trust the SOF T?

Also, do you know of approved dealers on Amazon for both the SOF T and CAT? I found one dealer on Amazon for CAT's and the reviews all said that they are real and not fake, but I am still a bit concerned.

Thanks for any and all help and if you have a place to buy from that you trust, feel free to post them.

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If I had to pick one TQ, it would be the SAM-XT. It’s what we currently use on my TEMS team.

The CAT is good too, but the locking tabs on the SAM make it superior.

Haven’t used the SOF-T much.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I had to pick one TQ, it would be the SAM-XT. It’s what we currently use on my TEMS team.

The CAT is good too, but the locking tabs on the SAM make it superior.

Haven’t used the SOF-T much.
View Quote

I have not heard of the SAM-XT. I will look that one up.

What were your thoughts on the SOF-T when using it? I know you said you’ve had little time using one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#3]
CATs on all my gear. Sof-t wide for edc.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks. This is also my thinking. I was thinking of the CAT on my gear and SOF T for edc.

Can the SOF T fit in a pants pocket? Not cargo pants but jeans.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#5]
No love for the SWAT?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No love for the SWAT?
View Quote

I will be getting a couple of those to use as pressure bandages. Combine that with some gauze.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No love for the SWAT?
View Quote
Not a tourniquet, but a damn good pressure dressing.

After a refresher on TCCC during my FI recert, I've decided to update the SOF-T Wide that I currently carry to a latest gen SOF-T and add a Gen 7 CAT. The CAT is easier to use one handed on your own arm, but the SOF-T is supposedly the gold standard on legs. The SAM is cool and all, but really bulky. I'm going to make a small IFAK for my EDC sling bag for off-duty carry as well.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I have and drill with both.  I like the SOF-T better.  Easier to deploy, less bulky, and the metal hardware is more reassuring.  The quick latch is a really nice feature as well.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No love for the SWAT?
View Quote

I have a couple for peds use.

Otherwise, I'm a CAT guy. I think, between that and the SOF-T, it's a "pick one" type of situation. Really comes down to preference, and I just have more time on the CAT.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks. This is also my thinking. I was thinking of the CAT on my gear and SOF T for edc.

View Quote

Yes. I carry one from my bag in a back pocket when I'm out at a field site (this is rare nowadays, but i used to do it a lot)
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have not heard of the SAM-XT. I will look that one up.

What were your thoughts on the SOF-T when using it? I know you said you’ve had little time using one.
View Quote

Like I said, very limited exposure, but it seemed ok.

The CAT is what we used before the SAM XT came along.

As long as you are using a quality (not Amazon!) TCCC approved TQ that you train with you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:20:18 AM EDT
[#12]
My EDC contains a SOFTT-W because they flat-fold. Most other tourniquets have some kind of plastic protrusion that makes them harder to carry in a discreet manner.

The TQs on my gear are either SAM-XTs or CATs. I tend to relegate CATs to aid bags. Like said, I like the locking tabs on SAM-XTs, they solve the one real defect that CATs have.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:21:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:38:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks everyone. I hadn’t had much exposure to the SOF T. I saw it in a video and began looking at them. I think I’ll pick up a couple of them and a couple of CATs.

I won’t be buying Amazon replicas. I always stick with names and brands I know. A few years ago I saw the RATs and it fit my pocket and I was able to get few of them and stash them in our cars and around the house. I actually find them simple and easy to stage and wrap. I’ve been able to cut blood flow from my arm and leg. I know they are not the best but it’s what I’ve had to work with. This is also one of the reasons I’m building out a few new kits and going with CATs and SOF Ts. I see more people with them when I’m out and about and I feel like more people will be able to help me or a loved one should I not be able to help.

My post as of late have been very helpful and eye opening on this side ARFcom. I really appreciate each of you for taking the time and answering.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:45:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I have SOFT and SOFT-wide.  Easier to use, metal windlass won't bend or break.  The new revision is better for quick donning.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 2:59:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.snakestaffsystems.com/buy-now/etq-every-day-tourniquet
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I’m started on CATs, so I’m biased. I’ve had very little exposure to SOFTT, but it has great reviews. My preference for the CAT over the SOFFT is because you just have to force the windlass into the locking bracket. I feel that have to “thread the needle” of the SOFFT windlass into the lock ring would be more difficult. But many people speak highly of it. The SAM tourniquet looks really bulky for carry. We were issued the MET tourniquet at work and it sucks. Too hard to lock the windlass in. I’ve seen too many bad videos of the ETQ tourniquet so I’ve stopped looking into buying one. The plastic backing tab seems to twist/bend too much.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm a RevMedx TX-2 guy. Training doesn't degrade them either.

RevMedx
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.snakestaffsystems.com/buy-now/etq-every-day-tourniquet

I forgot about this one. I actually follow them on Instagram. I just watched a video about it that SkinnyMedic did. It’s interesting to me.

Thanks for reminding me of this option.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks everyone. I think I’m going to order a mix of tourniquets. Right now CAT and SOF T and then a mix of others that have been recommended to me.

I’m building out my IFAK for my new chest rig and I’ll have both a CAT and a SOF T on this rig.

Does anyone know if they will fit into a pistol magazine pouch? I have a spare pouch on my rig and would like to use it for a TQ.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone. I think I’m going to order a mix of tourniquets. Right now CAT and SOF T and then a mix of others that have been recommended to me.

I’m building out my IFAK for my new chest rig and I’ll have both a CAT and a SOF T on this rig.

Does anyone know if they will fit into a pistol magazine pouch? I have a spare pouch on my rig and would like to use it for a TQ.
View Quote

Both are too big for a pistol mag pouch.  If you're looking for a recommendation, the Tactical Tailor pouches are my favorite, it'll fit both styles.  Do not get the NAR style one for the CAT, it'll only fit the CAT, and it just sucks.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I carry CATs on my gear (holster, trauma kits, carriers etc) and keep SOF-Ts in my bags. For me, the CAT's are just more intuitive to self apply, but the SOF-T is a great TQ if you're applying to someone else.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

The ETQ I linked to, is about the most compact tourniquet I've found, and fits in Glock mag pouches.

I happen to be a fan of Pitbull Tactical's UMC Universal Mag Carrier, and they fit nicely into those (which were specifically designed to accommodate anything from singlestack 9mm, to doublestack 45). I just needed to remove the 'width' springs, as I discovered that they allowed inserting the ETQ, but snagged when trying to extract it). The UMC can be worn OWB or IWB (and I find them perfectly comfortable for IWB).
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#24]
On a side note.  USGI flashbang pouches work great to hold tourniquets.  You can pick them up for $1 or $2 each if you look around.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I just ordered some stuff today and will have most of my IFAK for this chest rig together soon. I need to find a good source for Quick Clot. Amazon was iffy on that. I did order a lot of bandages and things from Rescue Essentials. I found their Amazon page. I also got a CAT today. I will be ordering a couple more of those and some SOF T's as well. I kind of blew my budget today and this month with things.

The EDC tourniquet is also on my radar. Skinny Medic did a review of them and liked the wider one the best. Its the same width as a CAT. I think it also folds down a bit smaller and can be worn in a pocket much easier. I need something I can fit into a jean pocket. I may at some point get a holster to put a TQ in and wear it on my belt. I just have no place to put it and drive comfortably either.

How do you guys wear your TQ's if you are wearing pants that are not cargo?
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to hate the SOF-T. It stems from the original design before they had the wides. I recently taught an academy class where they had the newest gen SOF-T wide. I'll give props where they are due, SOF-T upped their game and tool in alot of user feedback. I like the current generation.

I carry CATs on all my gear and holsters. CAT is the gold standard for a reason. They are easy to train and prolific.  They stock all my med bags and vehicles.

Also really love the Snakestaff ETQ Wide. I daily carry one. As soon as they open up LEO purchase programs I plan to mount one to all of my long guns. They pack up really nicely.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How do you guys wear your TQ's if you are wearing pants that are not cargo?
View Quote

Snakestaff ETQ Wide. I Ranger Band it together and slide it in the side cell phone pouch of Kuhl pants. In jeans or pants without it lays relatively flat in my front support side pocket next to my light.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#29]
If you can, give the ones you're interested in a try (contact your local trainers and ask what they have).  As several people have noted, some find one easier to apply than the others.  Most work about the same, the biggest thing is that you stage it and practice with it so that you can actually use it if you should have to.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you can, give the ones you're interested in a try (contact your local trainers and ask what they have).  As several people have noted, some find one easier to apply than the others.  Most work about the same, the biggest thing is that you stage it and practice with it so that you can actually use it if you should have to.
View Quote

Sad part about trying to find someone local, there isn’t anyone. I have been trying to get my local city hospital to host a stop the bleed class and they won’t. We have a lot of crime here and shootings and it’s a class that could save more lives and they won’t do it.

I’m taking care of my father who is in the last stages of dementia. If not for that I would travel to some good classes to get the medical classes. I really feel that it’s important to have it. I want these classes more so than shooting class. I feel like those classes would be better taken before moving to shooting classes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've found it easier to apply a CAT to myself and the SOFT/W to someone else.
View Quote

This is my experience, but I've also had CATs self destruct mounting them externally, so another factor of mine is SOF-T mounted externally, CATs inside kits.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This is my experience, but I've also had CATs self destruct mounting them externally, so another factor of mine is SOF-T mounted externally, CATs inside kits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happened to the CAT? I was going to mount mine outside right above my dangler that I’m using for an IFAK. SOF-T is my next order along with another CAT.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What happened to the CAT? I was going to mount mine outside right above my dangler that I’m using for an IFAK. SOF-T is my next order along with another CAT.
View Quote

They abrade really easy, and get fucked up by too much UV light.  Before we started getting SOF-T's about 10 years ago I used to wear CATs on my PC and bags but would have to replace them after 5-6 months of hard use.

SOF-T's I swap if there's a new generation, just because I choose to.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I think the SOF-T is the best one out there but is very heavy compared to the CAT, so I carry the CAT.

The SWAT is great and can serve more than one purpose (compression bandage, splint for example), but not as light as the CAT.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They abrade really easy, and get fucked up by too much UV light.  Before we started getting SOF-T's about 10 years ago I used to wear CATs on my PC and bags but would have to replace them after 5-6 months of hard use.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay. That’s good to know. I’ll get a SOF-T and put it on the outside of my chest rig.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#36]
CAT on my IFAK and on my kit so others using it on me knows how to use it. For my trauma bag, SOF-T wides mainly because I can use it on any casualty especially if I have both hands free.

CAT is easier with one hand and for self application compared to SOF-T. Even the latest gen SOF-T with the hooks, it still requires you to throw the triangle on to prevent any possible failures of the hook, and that triangle is a bitch to put on by yourself in self application. It might be easy single handed when you're doing it without really cranking down the  windlass to stop the hemorrhaging. But when you do, it's a PITA.

ETA: replace your tourniquets periodically if they are exposed to the elements regularly or get beat up from wear and tear.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same.  I have both, my ifak is 3/4 Cat though.  Car kit is mostly SOFT
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#38]
I actually carry both.

I prefer the CAT, but I do carry a SOF-T Wide in a TQ holder from RDR gear that is attached to the front of my Safariland 6094. In that position, the SOF-T wide fits much better and less obtrusively than the the CAT would in that same position.

I'm kind of interested now in the RMT (Ratcheting Medical TQ), they look to have the small size benefit of the SOF-T Wide while being as easy to self apply one handed as the CAT.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I actually carry both.

I prefer the CAT, but I do carry a SOF-T Wide in a TQ holder from RDR gear that is attached to the front of my Safariland 6094. In that position, the SOF-T wide fits much better and less obtrusively than the the CAT would in that same position.

I'm kind of interested now in the RMT (Ratcheting Medical TQ), they look to have the small size benefit of the SOF-T Wide while being as easy to self apply one handed as the CAT.
View Quote

The Ratchet part is bulky - you can make it short and fat, or long and skinny. Doesn't botther me, but the SOFT-W can be made way smaller. (I assume the RMT is the same general design as the RevMedx).
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:06:55 AM EDT
[#40]
I carry an SOF-T on my concealed body armor. Bought a velcro chest pocket that I modified slightly to be able to insert it. Since it folds flat, it is not really noticeable under a uniform shirt.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No love for the SWAT?
View Quote

They are difficult to properly apply as a TQ with both hands under classroom conditions.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No love for the SWAT?
View Quote

SWAT sucks for anything but kids and dogs, even for those they are less than ideal.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm using a SWAT T for a pressure bandage. Its a backup bandage method to some of my other bandages. I have read that is all they are good for and I can see where you could get them tight enough for that.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I need to find a good source for Quick Clot.
View Quote

I switched from Quikclot to Celox:

https://www.celoxmedical.com/how-celox-works/

YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:23:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28207/5C900D12-5152-47BE-A875-2F12CD2F631B-2836187.jpg

YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need to find a good source for Quick Clot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28207/5C900D12-5152-47BE-A875-2F12CD2F631B-2836187.jpg

YMMV.

Hey thank you for that. I will look for that now. I want to get my uncle some since he is on blood thinners. Just a paper cut he bleeds a lot and takes forever for him to stop bleeding. So I’ll get myself some and him too for his small kit (not a gun guy).
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 6:13:02 AM EDT
[#46]
I went with Celox z-fold gauze, not the granules, based on the recommendations of some medical professionals.

As for tourniquets, get both
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#47]
I have and use both. The CAT is pretty much universally known due to the Stop the Bleed campaign, but they suck to carry in a pocket as the Velcro will grab clothing and get all nasty. The SOFTT is much easier to carry in a pocket.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I got some shock cord and a stopper in today and I’ll make a holder for my CAT to go onto my chest rig. I’ll get a second CAT and a SOF T to attach and put into my dangler. The shock cord will be like Ranger bands. I found a DIY project on ARFcom.

DIY project for CAT TQ holder using shock cord.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guess I will move my CATs to inside bags and my SOF-Ts to my TQ pouches.

I do like the ETQ and the REV MED ones. I will look into those.

I went with Celox because I read somewhere that the body will eventually absorb any left in the wound. The doctors have to scrape all the QuickClot out of the wound.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top