Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2020 4:36:15 PM EDT
Some of you may have seen my other post where I made an ACH cut helmet from a PASGT---https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/509376_PASGT-to-ACHish-helmet-.html.
This time I went a bit more extensive and made a full high cut. I'm pretty proud of the job I did . I doubt anyone could tell this wasn't an ACH high cut that came directly from the factory. I spent several hours to get everything completed and looking perfect.
I painted and sanded the helmet smooth to begin with since the original sandy texture was damaged in a few spots. I sprayed the exterior with bed liner to give it a texture. I actually like the texture a lot. I then sprayed everything flat black.
I started out using EPP pads but I'm not a fan, they pretty well sucked. I decided to use the plush pads from another helmet I had, much much better!!!! The rails are GunNook ACH rails and they fit very nicely.
I reused the rubber edging and it ended up being exactly the correct length again.  PASGT, ACH and ACH high cut helmets seem to all use the same length edging?
To answer some questions= I used super glue mixed with baking soda to fill the old holes. It makes a super hard material, probably harder than Kevlar. I then sanded the material smooth before painting.
I laid out the NV mount and rails into their positions on the helmet and used them as templates to mark the new holes.
The cut edges and new holes were coated in super glue to seal the Kevlar fibers.

the benefits of doing push ups
upload image free no sign in

EDIT=
I made myself a second high cut last week, couldn't help myself . I needed a green to go with my black.

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you actually using this thing in the field? My main concern would be altering the helmet like that would affect structural/ballistic integrity. I know nothing about this, it’s just the first thing that would come to mind.

Amazing work too, btw.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Neat!

I'm no engineer, but this is the internet so you shouldn't take this advice anyway...but I doubt anyone doing this would be using it for something other than larp'ing, screwing around, or a potential shtf helmet.

past that...the removal of overall coverage would probably be a bigger impact to survivability than any potential layers delaminating.

you *might* lose some structural integrity right at the edge, as it's "different" or probably the edge of the weave isn't finished the same as when they press a normal high cut.

so really, it doesn't matter. If you are using it in the "field" for "work" you probably have one issued, or know your employer wouldn't cover a head injury claim if you were wearing it.

if I'm wearing it to stop rounds or frag, I would trust it to do it's job, but would be more concerned about getting in the face or neck.

I would be willing to bet a dollar it's better ballistic protection than a ball cap or amazon tactical "bump" helmet.

it sure looks cool as hell and gives some life to all the pagsts that aren't cool anymore.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#3]
No, my job doesn't entail the need for bullet stopping gear. I just like having gear for ''just in case'', like many people. I have 7 helmets now .
I don't believe the structural integrity of a helmet is changed by cutting part of it off. It's really no different than cutting a piece of Plexiglass. The remaining material is unchanged. The exposed Kevlar fibers should probably be sealed but I doubt the exposed fibers make any difference anyway. For example, if you cut a piece of Plexiglass, the material a 1/4 inch from the cut isn't going to change or be affected by moisture, air etc., the material itself is sealed internally and throughout by the gluing process.
As to the loss of coverage/protection by removing material, yea, high cut helmets are more for the cool factor than being balistically practical, IMO. I see the point in having a high cut helmet to mount NV, a camera, a light or to make a headset easier to fit and obviously high cut or bump helmets weigh less. As far as ballistic protection goes, they are fairly worthless, to be honest. I guess there's a chance that someone may get shot in the top inch of their head but wearing a helmet to only protect the tip top of your head seems a bit redundant. I will be grabbing a full cut helmet (preferably a PASGT cut) if I actually expected to be shot at. Still, high cut helmets LOOK really awesome though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I dig it, thanks for the reply.

this all makes me wish I had one to cut lol!
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Nicely done!
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Another great job! I really enjoy your helmet mod/referb threads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top