Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2017 10:49:25 PM EDT
I recently purchased a product that I believe some here might like. I was interested in a way to carry some trauma supplies but not have to put anything on my duty belt. After some Google searches, I stumbled upon the concept of ankle carrying a trauma kit. After a lot of searching, I jumped head first onto a specific kit made by ATLAS Consulting Group out of Oregon. 

This is a wide elastic band that can accommodate a variety of trauma supplies, but it's mainly built to hold a tourniquet, Benchmade rescue hook, and a trauma dressing. I ordered this online from the ATLAS webpage for $30 and it arrived within a couple of days. First impressions are everything and I was thoroughly impressed immediately. Upon inspection, it's quite obvious that this product is well made. 

Here is the kit as one would wear it around their ankle

Everything laid out. I am carrying a Gen 3 SOFTT-W, H&H Mini Compression Bandage, Combat Gauze LE, and a Benchmade 8Med Rescue Hook. You could also carry a decompression needle but I have no training on those and I don't carry one. I am also thinking about putting a pair of nitrile gloves in one of the empty pockets. 

Everything all packed up and laid out. 

Overall, this a great piece of kit. I will be typing an email for my department in hopes they'll buy everyone one of these to wear. It's so much easier, on duty and off duty, to carry a trauma kit with this ankle band. I highly recommend this for those looking for something similar! The link below is where I purchased it from. Thanks for reading and I'll be happy to answer any questions!

https://www.stronglikebeetle.com/shop/atlas-gen-3-achilles-trauma-kit-ankle-band
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:16:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the primary focus of this self-care or other-people-care?

If it's the latter, it looks like a good piece of kit. If it's the former, how easily can you get to it? One handed, dead legged, etc? It's better than having nothing but it seems like it would cost you many precious seconds in all but the best case scenarios.
View Quote
As a civi I think it's great because otherwise where am I putting this kind of stuff?  I already have gun, light, knife, sometimes pocket tool, wallet, keys, et cetera.

The best I have as of now is an IFAK that is in my vehicle. I'm guessing that's better than 90% of people but still....
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:30:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Needs a small chest seal, like a Fox. I also like it as a plain clothes option.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is the primary focus of this self-care or other-people-care?

If it's the latter, it looks like a good piece of kit. If it's the former, how easily can you get to it? One handed, dead legged, etc? It's better than having nothing but it seems like it would cost you many precious seconds in all but the best case scenarios.
View Quote
I understand what you're getting at, but for uniformed police officers, this is the best it gets. Most agencies won't allow a full med kit on a duty belt so the officer is forced to stuff his pockets or not carry anything at all. My agency only allows a tourniquet on the belt and we really didn't even ask for permission, we just kind of did it. Also, some officers have very small waists so this would provide them with a way to carry potentially life saving equipment. 

As far as availability, it's as easy to get to as a backup gun carried on the ankle. Yes, it may take a few extra seconds to get to, but when my full med kit is in the car, this is as good as gold.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Needs a small chest seal, like a Fox. I also like it as a plain clothes option.
View Quote
Already working on it. I have two full med kits in the car but having one on me would be nice. Some guys carry them inside their vest in the trauma plate pocket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top