Posted: 10/10/2016 12:39:11 AM EDT
Pros? Cons?

I'm a noob when it comes to slings.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Vickers is a great sling.

I run one on all of my guns.

Built like a tank, and very functional. Best sling I have ever used.

ETA: I have both padded and non-padded. I think I like the padded a bit better, just that little bit of extra cushion and comfort, but the non-padded is fine too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 2:36:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vickers is a great sling.

I run one on all of my guns.

Built like a tank, and very functional. Best sling I have ever used.

ETA: I have both padded and non-padded. I think I like the padded a bit better, just that little bit of extra cushion and comfort, but the non-padded is fine too.
View Quote

So it doesnt add to much for padded?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:33:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Haven't used the D3, but I also use the Vickers slings for all my rifles and I have to agree with 556Texas, they are excellent slings and the padded is a bit more comfortable than the non padded
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:58:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Haven't used the D3, but I also use the Vickers slings for all my rifles and I have to agree with 556Texas, they are excellent slings and the padded is a bit more comfortable than the non padded
View Quote

Have you guys used the 221 version?

Is it even necessary to switch between 1pt and 2 pt?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
The padding isn't too much. Just right IMO.

I'm not a fan of single points, so 2 point only for me.

I'm a massive Haley fanboy, and use a lot of Haley gear, but have never tried the D3 Sling, so can't offer judgement on it. But I am a huge, huge fan of the Vickers sling. Again, best sling I have ever used and the only one I currently run or plan to run in the future.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#6]
To me, it matters if I'm wearing it with my plate carrier. If I'm wearing my plate carrier padding doesn't matter. In fact it makes the sling thicker and more prone to slip past the sling catch I run to keep slings from riding into your neck.

Not wearing a plate carrier?  Padding is more comfortable.  But to me, I get more worked up about it when I try it on around the house because I'm fixating on it. When I'm actually in the desert not having the padding doesn't bother me as much. I'm sure the padding would be more comfortable. I'm just not going to double up my sling collection to run with/without my PC. I've already spent enough on four magpul slings.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
To me, it matters if I'm wearing it with my plate carrier. If I'm wearing my plate carrier padding doesn't matter. In fact it makes the sling thicker and more prone to slip past the sling catch I run to keep slings from riding into your neck.

Not wearing a plate carrier?  Padding is more comfortable.  But to me, I get more worked up about it when I try it on around the house because I'm fixating on it. When I'm actually in the desert not having the padding doesn't bother me as much. I'm sure the padding would be more comfortable. I'm just not going to double up my sling collection to run with/without my PC. I've already spent enough on four magpul slings.
View Quote

I do not run a plate carrier
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd go padded vickers then.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im thinking I might grab one of each I have a couple ARs that need slings
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#10]
i prefer UN-padded vickers/bfg. the padded portion limits the amount of adjustment range you have at the front portion of the sling.

the reason for that is because the padding causes a fixed length for the rear section of sling.

when i set up my slings, i run the adjustment tab all the way forward. and adjust the rear to achieve a hasty sling shooting set up. once set. i run the adjusting tab back and check for carry/slung room. there is always ample room to carry the weapon even with a PC on at this point.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i prefer UN-padded vickers/bfg. the padded portion limits the amount of adjustment range you have at the front portion of the sling.

the reason for that is because the padding causes a fixed length for the rear section of sling.

when i set up my slings, i run the adjustment tab all the way forward. and adjust the rear to achieve a hasty sling shooting set up. once set. i run the adjusting tab back and check for carry/slung room. there is always ample room to carry the weapon even with a PC on at this point.
View Quote

Nice perspective I was looking for. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I have used both. Ultimately I prefer the D3 for the thinner profile, but the BFG Vickers is easier to access the adjustment handle.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have used both. Ultimately I prefer the D3 for the thinner profile, but the BFG Vickers is easier to access the adjustment handle.
View Quote

The D3 is actually thinner? mmm
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have owned both and they were both good. The D3 was definitely slimmer but I felt like I liked the Vickers more after selling it for my D3.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:55:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have owned both and they were both good. The D3 was definitely slimmer but I felt like I liked the Vickers more after selling it for my D3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For what reasons?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Are you going to be doing a lot of standing around? Single points are perfect for that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I love my padded BFG sling. I have zero problems with transitions from strong side to weak side. I'm 5'11" 170lbs
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I have both the regular VCAS slings and a 221 sling. The VCAS slings are on my AR's and the 221 on my X95. All that said, I don't really use the single point option very much, but seeing as the bullpup is a trunk/car gun, having single point availability with the sling while in the vehicle is nice. Haven't had to use it outside of training, thankfully, but I haven't had any snagging with a seatbelt on yet.

Padded is the way to go, as I have not had a problem yet with my plate carrier.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I do not plan on standing around a lot.

Im thinking a 2 point would suffice.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I enjoy my padded bickers 221.  
I should probly buy another in fact
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top