Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2012 8:49:34 PM EDT
I know there are the pad kits to upgrade the PASGT helmets....is the kit worth it? or am I better off padding it myself and doing some DIY upgrades?
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Just rip out whatever liner it has (I assume leather sweatband and two-point chinstrap) and replace with velcro discs.  Now you can use whatever chinstrap and liner pads you want for any of the newer helmets.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just rip out whatever liner it has (I assume leather sweatband and two-point chinstrap) and replace with velcro discs.  Now you can use whatever chinstrap and liner pads you want for any of the newer helmets.

That's most likely what I will do.  As of now I'm just trying to decide between the Oregon Aero kit and the Skydex kit.  I have used the newer MICH helmet systems and am content with how they perform.

My original question was more aimed towards whether or not there was some type of homegrown solution that was as good or better. I'm leaning towards not, but I figured I would ask.

If anyone has any additional input let me know.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:35:48 AM EDT
[#3]
helmets are uncomfortable no matter what you do. either kit will work. i wouldnt advise some DIY shit, youll end up spending more money and time as well as being frustrated than if you got a purpose made kit. not in VA are you?
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:39:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
helmets are uncomfortable no matter what you do. either kit will work. i wouldnt advise some DIY shit, youll end up spending more money and time as well as being frustrated than if you got a purpose made kit. not in VA are you?

True.  I was always issued the PASGTs and never got the nicer MICH setups.  Now I'm stuck with the same thing but since I have an option, I'm gonna go with what's more comfortable.

And no, not in VA.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 4:19:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a skydex pasgt upgrade kit a few years ago, it worked well...                    
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 6:24:38 AM EDT
[#6]
upgrade for a PASGT?

Buy an ACH
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
upgrade for a PASGT?

Buy an ACH

Agreed   ETA, but its hard to stop at just 1...     sorry for the hyjack....
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Oregon Aero makes a good upgrade kit for PASGT.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
upgrade for a PASGT?

Buy an ACH

It's not a personal use helmet.  It's what is issued.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#10]
then I would say the skydex will serve you well
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
then I would say the skydex will serve you well

Rgr that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know if you do the ebay thing much, but they can be found at pretty good prices there - save you some cash...
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I need to upgrade my PASGT as well.

Just in case someone was curious here is skydex's sizing info:

The only difference between the Size 6 and Size 8 helmet pads is the thickness of the pads. The Size 6 pads are 3/4" thick pads and the Size 8 pads are 1" thick (except the crown pad, which is 3/4" thick). The Size 6 fits a majority of our customers and is our most popular size for military and law enforcement. The Size 8 are designed for individuals who have a helmet that is too big and require thicker padding for a snug fit. Depending on how your helmet fits now will determine what size you should purchase. If you have any other questions or concerns, please contact SKYDEX Customer Service at [email protected] or 1.866.732.7462.

If I wanted to buy some reasonably priced light mounts, what should I look at?
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I got the size 6 for a mich & the pasgt, worked great in both & comfortable as hell.  light mounts for a pasgt, thats a tough one - you could use the norotos nvg strap setup & a light that clicks into the nvg mount ( I have seen one but don't remember the make....)
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I got the size 6 for a mich & the pasgt, worked great in both & comfortable as hell.  light mounts for a pasgt, thats a tough one - you could use the norotos nvg strap setup & a light that clicks into the nvg mount ( I have seen one but don't remember the make....)

I was looking at ops-core's website and I found these

http://www.ops-core.com/2010_ACH-ARC_Kit_and_Bungees_P5C20.cfm
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#16]
even the ops core rails wont fit some mich helmets, so it would be a gamble...   you could also (I hate to even say this) buy a knock off set & that way if you modded them & they still didn't work - not alot of cash lost.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
even the ops core rails wont fit some mich helmets, so it would be a gamble...   you could also (I hate to even say this) buy a knock off set & that way if you modded them & they still didn't work - not alot of cash lost.

Copy that. I guess I was unaware of that. What knockoff set should I look at?
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#18]
its still a long shot but again ebay will be the place to look - search ops core rails  that should bring up some hits.    ETA Helmet rails is a better search...
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
its still a long shot but again ebay will be the place to look - search ops core rails  that should bring up some hits.    ETA Helmet rails is a better search...

Copy. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Double tap. See below.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Best deal I have found.

http://www.gunnyssurplus.com/oregon-aero-blss-conversion.html

I have updated several helmets with kits from there.

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#22]
The Oregon aero bliss kit is the best upgrade ever!  Well worth the money and effort.  Makes the pasgt comfortable and useful.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's what I've been using in mine.  Got it cheap a couple years ago on E-Bay.

My only complaint is that the buckles do not keep the straps where you want them when tension is removed (I.E. when you take your helmet off).  I think I am going to sew the ends down to prevent this.

Link Posted: 4/24/2012 4:34:07 AM EDT
[#25]
FYI, for anyone who may come along and check this thread.

I ended up going with the Skydex kit off Ebay.  Got it for about $40-45.  Installation was easy and the final result was awesome.  Very comfortable and a hell of a replacement for the PASGTs leather/nylon suspension system.
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
FYI, for anyone who may come along and check this thread.

I ended up going with the Skydex kit off Ebay.  Got it for about $40-45.  Installation was easy and the final result was awesome.  Very comfortable and a hell of a replacement for the PASGTs leather/nylon suspension system.

Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Operation Helmet sad case now, no one is donating anymore. I got a kit from them for my first deployment in '04, turned out we ended up staying in Qatar. I did feel bad about getting the kit for a cake TDY and donated. Most bases issue the good stuff now, at least in the AF.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 4:12:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Just FYI, Princeton Tec Remix Pro MPLS kit is the one that clicks into the NVG mount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top