Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2009 8:27:40 AM EDT
Hey guys, so I've read through the various plate carrier threads I could find from the last 3 months but I'm still having a tough time deciding on a plate carrier.  From what I've read, people really like the Eagle stuff, TAD, etc.  But I haven't seen much feedback on the HSGI stuff.  Is it decent?  I'm trying to figure out why the Eagle CIRAS ones are so damned price compared to the regular Eagle PC with cummerbund?  Why's the CIRAS over double the price?

Essentially what I need is a PC with mag holding capability.  So to me, the Wasatch or Weesatch seem like a good deal, but also the regular Eagle PC with cummerbund seems fine, although I'll need to tack on another 100 bucks to add the molle mag carriers - but at least I can move them to the sides with that setup - probably worth the money.

Anyway, is there one setup that over 50% can agree on that's the best bang for the buck?  Considering a couple of the Kejo level III plates to plop in it if that makes a difference.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#1]
As TimW will tell you the CIRAS is a armor system, not just some PC, and being such has more bells and wistles
and a higher price.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Skip the Kejo plates.  Lots of info over at Lightfighter.net about their plates failing.

What do you need the PC for?   Just SHTF or serious business?  

What do you need protection from?  If just local bangers with pistols or 7.62x39, the EGI are good for the price.   If you need protection from high velocity 55gr 5.56mm, then there are other alternatives, effectiveness increasing with price.

Entry level, Eagle PC with cummerbund.     You can always pull the cummerbund and use the plate carrier itself as a minimalist rig.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#3]
High Speed Gear makes top-quality stuff.  From that standpoint, you can't go wrong with it.  Some folks don't like the design/size of the Wasatch/Weesatch series.

CIRAS v Plate Carrier - BB868 said it best.  One is for a complete armor setup, soft and hard armor.  It's also releasable.  All this takes more time, effort and materials to produce.  Hence, it costs more.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys - yeah just general SHTF preparedness.  Doubtful I want soft and plate armor, mostly just a minimalistic rig - basically just want plate capability on top of a chest rig.  So it sounds like the CIRAS is definitely overkill for me.

The Kejo plates suck?  Other threads I'd read rated them fairly decently in terms of cost, etc.  I saw someone else talking about the SAPI Dyneema plates from these guys being decent recently too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks guys - yeah just general SHTF preparedness.  Doubtful I want soft and plate armor, mostly just a minimalistic rig - basically just want plate capability on top of a chest rig.  So it sounds like the CIRAS is definitely overkill for me.

The Kejo plates suck?  Other threads I'd read rated them fairly decently in terms of cost, etc.  I saw someone else talking about the SAPI Dyneema plates from these guys being decent recently too.

The Kejo plates were not stopping M193 ammo at short range out of a 20" barrelled gun. But they were stopping M855...
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#6]
We have four guys on our department running Weesatch's and one with a Woosatch.  I can attest to the quality of HSGI's gear as they have withstood several tactical/firearms realted classes and a couple search warrants.

My advice
1. Get the Woo.  The Wee and the Wa get loose when you start going through your rifle mags.
2. Use an independent hydration system.  If you put a bladder in the rear pouch the PC will loosen as the bladder becomes empty.

I have taken mine through hell and back and it is holding up just fine.  I have slso seen TAG's Hard Plate Carrier at a couple schools.  The guys really liked them as well.  I am sure the other PC's out there are of good quality too, I just can't give a first hand opinion.

We did have a guy running a Cheaper Than Dirt Molle Plate Carrier once.  Eh.....
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I am happy with my DBT rig.
It is a pretty basic rig to be thrown over soft armor.
I have an expired vest I'm going to cut to put behind the ceramic plates to take up some slop and add a bit more trauma protection

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#8]
why not a blackwater and enough money left over to get any mag holder our pouch you can think of.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:47:51 AM EDT
[#9]
if you want built in magazine load outs, go with the weesatch. upgrade to the double bungees that skd sells, and get the padded shoulder pads. be forewarned though. until you get the plates you will notice some sag in it. it's the reason i got rid of the one i had and just stuck with the eagle plate carrier with cummerbund.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

why not a blackwater and enough money left over to get any mag holder our pouch you can think of.

Botach has them for $25....though I recommend paying with a CC just to be safe

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the israeli police vest on that link it might be worth getting. I have been looking for a plate carrier and the blackwater one looks good but I am not sure what size I am. I have a chest rig which is tight on me and its a one size fits all so a plate carrier will have to be MOLLE so I can put mags on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top