Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 7:02:44 AM EDT
I have used just warm water and rinsed out with some baking soda. this time though, i need soe more cleaning strength, I have heard the following:

1-rinse with warm water

2 - fill it up and add a teaspoon of bleach, let it sit for awhile

3 - rinse heavily with warm water, let dry, rinse again

anything different from you guys?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#1]
camelback sells  cleaning tablets, works like alka seltzer ,sorta......................
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
you guys ever put anything other than water in yours. I ran into a guy who puts gator aid in his. I would think that would be a b**** to clean out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
you guys ever put anything other than water in yours. I ran into a guy who puts gator aid in his. I would think that would be a b**** to clean out.

not a problem so long as you're careful about cleaning immediately after use.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Efferdent denture cleaning tablets.

Way cheaper than the Camelbak tablets same results. The main thing is to make sure the bladder is dry before you store it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Efferdent denture cleaning tablets.

Way cheaper than the Camelbak tablets same results. The main thing is to make sure the bladder is dry before you store it.

+1
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:56:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Any tips on drying them out?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#8]
WalMart had or has some of there brand of bladder cleaning kits on sale/clearance for between $4.00 to $6.00 dollars. The price seems to change between locations.

Thank You
John Willis
[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Any tips on drying them out?

Hang them UPSIDE Down and make sure excess water is shaken out
then there are no areas of contact inside a drip dry
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I often use a 50/50 mix of gatoraid and water. When I get home I just rinse with warm water, don't forget the hose, then hang it to dry.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Bleach works, but you have to rinse it out a few times, and use some baking soda to kill the taste.
Hydrogen peroxide also works, and doesn't leave that nasty chlorine taste.  I usually pour in some peroxide, a bit os dish soap and slush it around, then rinse thouroughly.

If/when you ever replace the bladders, get the newer Omega ones with the big mouths.  They are about 4 or 5 inches across and if you have small hands you can reach inside to clean too.

For drying the Camelbak brand cleaner works great. It's a plastic ladder like device that you fold, insert and it opens inside the bladder so it can dry all the way.  A piece of stainless wire can also work, just bend it into a zigzag shap, insert into the bladder and rotate it so that the plastic doesn't lay against itself.  A company (Hydra I think) was selling something like that once, might still be.  Doesn't work as good as the Camelbak one though..
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I use like 1/4 cup of kosher salt or rock salt and a cup or two of really hot water.  put in Camelbak, inflate, shake, rinse...rinse again.....and maybe again.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Any tips on getting the hose off easily?  I've got a new wide-mouth bladder and the hose on this one is bitch!  I may have to cut it off because it's not wanting to come out!

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#14]
When drying it, be sure to clean the hose as well. Hold the unit upside down and blow the water out of the hose.

If you don't get all the moisture out before storage, mold and\or bacteria can grow in the water.

Also be sure to rinse before filling to use again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top