Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 2:24:30 PM EDT
I'm thinking of throwing together a loadbearing rig to hold some magazines and some water for general shooting.  I was interested in getting a tactical vest like the Blackhawk Omega, Tactical Tailor 1A Rifle, or an Eagle TAC-V1-N-A because these vests can hold a lot of magazines and have built in hydration system holders.  However, I read a review of the TT vest that basically said that it was uncomfortable when you are lying prone because the magazines jut into your chest.  Due to the extremely similar design of these three vests, I assume that they all would suffer from the same drawback.  Is this a serious disadvantage to a vest-type setup over something like an ALICE rig?  Are there any solutions to this?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
If you load the mag pouches up 2 each(per  pouch), then they are a bit more uncomfortable. But I like the load bearing much better than the ALICE web gear.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
HEAT!!!!!!!!!. They keep in heat, and press your uniform/BDUs/whatever else you wearing against you and prevent a good ventilation, otherwise I like my tac vest a lot. It is simple.

I did try to combat reload my GPS into my AR on Friday but that is....another story, and not the vests fault. It didnt' fit!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
HEAT!!!!!!!!!. They keep in heat, and press your uniform/BDUs/whatever else you wearing against you and prevent a good ventilation, otherwise I like my tac vest a lot. It is simple.

I did try to combat reload my GPS into my AR on Friday but that is....another story, and not the vests fault. It didnt' fit!

I'd probably just wear it with a T-shirt in the summer when heat is a concern.

About the reload, are you sure you weren't trying to use your GPS to generate plama beams in the 40 watt rrange?  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you load the mag pouches up 2 each(per  pouch), then they are a bit more uncomfortable. But I like the load bearing much better than the ALICE web gear.

I definately prefer the simpler, all-in-one appraoch of a tactical vest to having to build a modular rig with ALICE or MOLLE.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I definately prefer the simpler, all-in-one appraoch of a tactical vest to having to build a modular rig with ALICE or MOLLE.

Vests are the suck and are falling out of favor.
Chest rigs, especially simple rigs like the Eagle Universal rig are gaining favor.
Not modular, but pretty much hold what you need.  Will definitely hold more than a vest.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#6]
My Omega-1 doesn't get hot. It gets fucking hot.  In a t-shirt, in October, in PA, in 40 degree weather, I was sweating.

I'm probably gonna sell it off when I get my Kifaru pack, as I don't think the vest/pack combo will work well.

Also, I see guys with Load bearing kit, and they seem to haul around the same number of mags, with more pouches for other gear as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vests are the suck and are falling out of favor.
Chest rigs, especially simple rigs like the Eagle Universal rig are gaining favor.
Not modular, but pretty much hold what you need.  Will definitely hold more than a vest.

What's the scoop on the Spec-Ops brand MOUT chest rig?  It seems very simple and straightforward.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't find my TT rifle/shotgun vest to be too hot at all.  Granted OR doesn't get as hot as some places.  Mine is OD-staying away from black helps.
But then, I'm used to training all day in subdued urban camo(long sleeves and all), black Eagle vest, helmet, balaclava, often w/ a gas mask and ballistic vest  when I'm at work.  100 degrees and high humidity is common in this area.  Can you say "stay hydrated, or else"?

The vests are losing favor to a significant degree, but I feel that my personal vest has everything I need, is comfortable (prone w/ mags loaded up as well).
The modular plate carriers, etc. are very nice, but they are also substantially more expensive.  

My TT vest has everything I want, where I want it.  Why go the more expensive route?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't find my TT rifle/shotgun vest to be too hot at all.  Granted OR doesn't get as hot as some places.  Mine is OD-staying away from black helps.
But then, I'm used to training all day in subdued urban camo(long sleeves and all), black Eagle vest, helmet, balaclava, often w/ a gas mask and ballistic vest  when I'm at work.  100 degrees and high humidity is common in this area.  Can you say "stay hydrated, or else"?

The vests are losing favor to a significant degree, but I feel that my personal vest has everything I need, is comfortable (prone w/ mags loaded up as well).
The modular plate carriers, etc. are very nice, but they are also substantially more expensive.  

My TT vest has everything I want, where I want it.  Why go the more expensive route?

Cool, man!  Are you a SWAT officer?  

I really like how the TT assualt vest has a Camelbak holder in the back.  When I went on a long bike trip as a teen, I found out how useful Camelbaks were firsthand.  As a side note, does the TT vest hold a full 100 oz bladder or just a 72 oz one?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Modular is definitely the way to go, though I would make exception for the Eagle Universal Rig mentioned if budget was a concern. The downside is modular rigs are like ARs, you think you are getting off easy spending a few bucks on the item and then you find out you spend a few hundred on accessories.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I do not know where you live.  But if you live in a place with a colder climate.  Than a vest may not be the best.  If you need to bundle up with a coat or layers, a vest may not work or be comfortable.

I am looking towards a drop leg subload rig due to these problems.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the Tac vests just fine.  If it bothers you , you can always just put one mag in the pouches closest to the center of the vest and load up the rest.  I really liked this vest but money is short and this one has to go.

shameless plug

I see no real disadvantage other than they are not the "in" thing right now.  I've looked at some chest rigs and plate carriers but I like to have a belt attached so teh vest can act as an assault vest or load carrying vest...to me the chest rigs are at a disadvantage.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Modular is definitely the way to go, though I would make exception for the Eagle Universal Rig mentioned if budget was a concern. The downside is modular rigs are like ARs, you think you are getting off easy spending a few bucks on the item and then you find out you spend a few hundred on accessories.

Just like my Eagle A-III MOLLE:
A-III:  $165
ESSTAC GP Med x 2:  $50
ESSTAC GP S:  $25
HSGI double pistol:  $25
EMDOM 3" WL:  $60

Soon:
Killer Gear Nalgene:  $30
Eagle Frame Sheet: $20
?
?
?

That $165 pack is now invested with over $160 worth of accessories (and counting).
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I like the Tac vests just fine.  If it bothers you , you can always just put one mag in the pouches closest to the center of the vest and load up the rest.  I really liked this vest but money is short and this one has to go.

shameless plug

I see no real disadvantage other than they are not the "in" thing right now.  I've looked at some chest rigs and plate carriers but I like to have a belt attached so teh vest can act as an assault vest or load carrying vest...to me the chest rigs are at a disadvantage.

I've got the same vest without the rifle pad.  It's a mesh construction and should breath well.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, I prefer my IBA.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool, man!  Are you a SWAT officer?  

I really like how the TT assualt vest has a Camelbak holder in the back.  When I went on a long bike trip as a teen, I found out how useful Camelbaks were firsthand.  As a side note, does the TT vest hold a full 100 oz bladder or just a 72 oz one?

I'm in Corrections- individual institutions have tactical teams here for the most part.  In this state we don't have the number of call outs that your large metropolitan SWAT teams do.  Special Housing Staff takes care of Extractions.  We train for Hostage Rescue and Riots.  Fortunately not too many of those.

My TT vest has an inner sleeve that I prefer to put my 72 ounce Camelback (and it's swimming as far as room).  There is also a second long almost pack type sleeve (closes w/ velcro flap) on the back of the vest that I could put a second Camelback if I desired/had a need.

Don't get me wrong, when I bought my vest I looked at a few issues.  Similarity to work was one of the issues, ease of donning was another (some chest rigs are pretty good, most are a chore to put on w/ all of the straps that you have to sort out).  The plate carriers often sag unless you do carry the plates.  I attached a belt to my vest so I have everything together (holster, dump pouch, pistol mag pouch, etc.)- just throw it on.  My work vest uses para cord for girth adjustment and that is a hassle to go from a cold to a hot season.  My TT vest uses straps that make adjustments real easy and stay put ( I really like it for that feature).  
The modular set ups do have the advantage that you can be completely set up for you and only carry what you want.  I just have a few empty pouches most of the time.
Lastly you can be assured w/ the modular set ups that if a certain pouch comes out in a few years, you can get it and just add it to your vest and replace whatever was in it's place. Also, you may find that you just don't like the vests placement of the rifle mags, but you're pretty much stuck.
TT has a really nice chest rig that you can add a few enhancements to it and you can end up spending close to what you would have w/ a vest.  
There's a guy that hasn't posted on your thread but I've seen in this Tactical Gear area, He has posted a pic of a TT mav rack, added a few components to the rack itself before pouches, etc.  He has the capability to carry a lot of ammo and gear, but that does increase the price well past a vest-what you could get a vest for.  You could get the mav set up real nice, add a few pouches and be good to go for your uses.
Go to some rifle competitions if you can and look at what people have.  In my area there's a Practical Rifle shoot once a month that has a lot of people showing up decked out.

Good luck.

(edited for spelling)
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#18]
For general shooting you might take a look at the stuff cheaper than dirt sells. The quality really suprised me especially for the pouches. I got a shit pot load of pouches and molle vest for around $150.00. Not being a professional I couldn't see spending as much as I could get an extra AR for(wich I did with the money saved).
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Modularity, Modularity, Modularity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I make sure I research my gear well before I just run off and buy something. I've tried several fixed configuration vests and frankly I don't understand why anyone would want one these days... Airsofter's and the uneducated maybe? Flexiblity of configuration is paramount in my mind. Especially when funding and storage space is at a premium. Please bare in mind I understand that the new wave of modular components and foundations are just in the last few years becoming affordable to the average shooter.

I've tried on both the TT and Eagle itterations and personally like the Eagle TAC-V1 better.

Eagle: www.eagleindustries.com/mainprod.asp?scv=0

Tactical Tailor: www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=82

I'm a big fan of the MALICE clips from TT and use em' on all my attachments.

Bare in mind, given your initially stated requirements, you really might just give a LBE w/ enhanced shoulder straps an try. Cheap to get ahold of (everyone ditching em' for the latest and greatest not to mention mil surplus) and I still use one that is very basic in it's configuration  to fill a specific need. I did that rather than purchase a role dedicated vest.

Hope that helps some.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I admit alice gear is a bit cooler during the summer months,but the vest can be as cool if you wearing a under armor t-shirt.

You see many USGIs wearing vest in Iraq,also sodiers in countries like Africa etc wearing such vest.

It is up to each user  like and dont likes.

TG

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I was pretty much faced with this same problem and funds were the big issue, I wanted to get something that would work for training and get me started,  I looked on the Blackhawk site and found that there regular tack vests the Omaga I think, it is on sale, well the woodland cammo one is half off about $67 or so, which made up my mind, it will work for now until I can afford something more modular.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#22]
This opinion comes from an airsofter so take it as you will.

My BHI EOD vest holds a good amount of stuff. The mag pouches only hold 1 mag, you can fit 2 but if you try and get one out you'll either rip off the bottom plate/tear the magpul/get both mags at once.

This got old real fast. So now I have to run a drop leg pouch to hold my other 4 magazines, or put three in the upper utility pouch. I do this now as the norm so the forward drop leg pouch can hold my 3 "33" round glock magazines. I lucked out since it seems the drop leg setup is for P90 magazine. 33 round glock mags dont seem to fit well in M4 type pouches from my experiance.

Either way for a "upper" rig I'm going with a HSGI Denali. Getting it for a good price and I'm looking forward to not having to tear my magazines from my gear when I need them.

As for the comfort of the BHI vest. It's stiff, really stiff. The mesh feels like you could sand a fucking car down to primer with it. This is great from running through dense brush, and has even saved me from some nasty gashes, but trying to get comfortable in it does not happen. Even when I draw my pistol the arms hole cuts into me making it hard to keep a rock steady aim. With a rifle it's not bad since my arm is kept low, but if I'm just carrying my pistol I leave the vest against a tree or under a bush.

Prone with just 1 mag per pouch isn't too bad. I have to lean a bit more on my left side to let some pressure off of the utility pouches, but not enough that it would effect my aim in the prone position.

Overall I'd say the construction and toughness makes it worth the cost if you're in a "grabby" environment. But if you plan on being in a van for a while, a chest rig will be FAR more comfortable and carry more gear.

Side note, if you carry an MP5 type rifle, or another 9mm weapon, the mag pouches will hold 3 mags each without too much pressure on them. Put them in side by side, cartridge primer to your chest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top