Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 4:58:56 PM EDT
I recently purchased these two items from a gun show vendor. The tags indicate that they are made by Specialty Defense Systems (SDS). I haven't heard of them, so I don't know if they are a military contractor, a company that produces cheap gear for the operator wannabees, or something in between.

Large assault pack. This pack has the molle webbing, an internal hydration system (which appears to be from a generic manufacturer), and a plastic/foam internal frame. Got it for $75.

Assault vest. Also has the molle webbing. This was covered with all kinds of pouches when I got it (all were SDS). Came with 6 dual AR15 mag pouches, 1 staggered pistol mag pouch, 1 entrenching tool pouch, 2 fragmentation grenade pouches, two canteen pouches (with 2 1qt canteens), and a radio pouch which could also serve as a dump pouch. Got this for $35.

I took off everything except the AR pouches, the pistol mag pouch, and the canteen pouches. The rest of it is in a box. I may add some of the leftovers to the assault pack.

It seems to be put together pretty well, but I haven't field tested it yet. I figure for what I paid, it wasn't too bad of a deal, even if it only lasts a couple of years.

Any of you guys/gals have any experience with the company or the gear?

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#1]
SDS is a military contractor, however they have to manufacture the gear sold to the Mil in the US and they also manufacture gear overseas that they sell to anyone else, quality may or may not varey, i've never compared. you got a really good deal for $35!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
SDS is a military contractor, however they have to manufacture the gear sold to the Mil in the US and they also manufacture gear overseas that they sell to anyone else, quality may or may not varey, i've never compared. you got a really good deal for $35!

Yeah, I thought so too, that's why I questioned the quality.

After my initial post, I checked Pathfinder's tacked thread on the 3DAP's and clicked on the SDS link. I was able to research a little about the company. Seems like I did alright for the money I spent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top