Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 2:59:36 PM EDT
I'm sure it's been asked many times...

I have my rifle, shotgun, and pistol, and a place to do 3-gun. Now I need gear!

I'm on a budget, and I don't much care if it looks properly tactical... ugly but functional is just fine by me. . Do you have any suggestions for picking gear (holster, magazine pouches, et cetera)? Suggested websites where I can research the topic myself? Hints and tips on common mistakes of the 3-GUN NOOB , so I can avoid them?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm sure it's been asked many times...

I have my rifle, shotgun, and pistol, and a place to do 3-gun. Now I need gear!

I'm on a budget, and I don't much care if it looks properly tactical... ugly but functional is just fine by me. . Do you have any suggestions for picking gear (holster, magazine pouches, et cetera)? Suggested websites where I can research the topic myself? Hints and tips on common mistakes of the 3-GUN NOOB , so I can avoid them?

Wweeeeeeeelll, I can't offer much help, but I will share what I know (I'm a gear nOOb too).

After having conducting a few researches and asked the occasional questions, a good holster that nearly everyone would recommend would be the Safariland holsters, most notably the 6004 series are popular.

As for gear? Maye getting a MOLLE chest harness from BHI www.blackhawkindustries.com and if you are willing to spend a bit more Eagle Industries www.eagleindustries.com offer some fine products.

Most users here tend to prefer Eagle over BHI, due to material and workmanship (can't beat USA made products)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The gear you want will depend on what kind of 3 gunning you are going to do.  Many of the IPSC/USPSA clubs that do 3 gun matches have competitors that are using what I consider "minimalist" gear.  They have belt kit, and that is about it.  I can't remember seeing any chest rigs at the 3 gun matches I've been to in the recent past.  

Here is what I see being used:
Kydex belt holster for your pistol.  I don't see a lot of drop leg platforms.  Many of the holsters are "positive retention" but without thumbreaks.  They hold the gun securely via moulding.  I rarely see race holsters at 3 gun matches.  The one I did see resulted in a DQ (gun fell out during a run.) I use a Blade-Tech DOH holster for my STI.

Mag pouches.  Kydex or leather pistol mag pouches, 3 or 4 depending on mag capacity.  Almost none have lids that I've seen.  Same goes for AR mags.  Most are kydex and have no lids.  They just use friction to retain the mag.  Most courses of fire don't require more than one or two mags if you hit your targets.  The most mags I've ever used was 3, and I sucked ass on the COF.  I'm using Safariland competition mag pouches for my pistol, and my rifle mags are held by a BHI drop leg with talonflex inserts.  I also use a mag coupler.

Shotgun gear.  If you are open class, you need tec-loaders.  Otherwise, on-gun side saddles, forearm carriers and belt strippers are the predominant choice.  My Benelli has 9 in the gun, 9 in side saddles.  That is 18 rounds.  I've got 8 more on my forearm, and 12 more in California Competition Works strippers on my belt.  That is a grand total of 38 rounds.  I've never run out of shotgun ammo....

If the 3 gun matches near you are more dominated by guys wanting to run chest carriers and military gear, then the choices are almost endless.  However, if you get one of the IPSC/USPSA top 3 gunners showing up, they'll probably spank everyone with their minimalist gear...

My Benelli side saddles and forearm carrier are made by www.3gungear.com
I bought my CCW 12 gauge strippers from Brownell's.   CCW 6 round 12 Gauge strippers
Holsters and mag pouches for both pistol and rifle can be found at www.blade-tech.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top