Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 3:14:28 AM EDT
I've got a problem I haven't really been able to solve.  I hope you guys can help me.

To begin with, I'm not nearly as much of a 'geardo' as others around here, and I don't have a lot of experience with the HS/LD stuff coming out these days.  I've worn the Y-suspenders and pistol belt, and I've worn the Army issued 'improved' chest harness, and that's about it.

What kind of rig allows greatest comfort and maneuverability?  Getting in and out of vehicles, sitting, standing, running, and most importantly, prone?

It looks to me like chest rigs - especially when worn on top of body armor, wouldn't allow you to get fully into the prone, and would be very uncomfortable to do so anyway.  

I've worn my issued Army vest in such a way to keep all of the pouches off to the sides, but that just mean's I can barely roll over, or fit comfortably in a vehicle seat.

Is there any real solution to this problem, or is it all about compromise?  Do I just have to choose one convenience over the other?

Right now, I just use a pistol belt with 6004 holster and drop leg mag pouch.  These stay out of my way, for the most part, but they weigh down my legs pretty well when running.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the chest rig for the do it all set up.  It will do evrything  pretty good movement and vehicle ops are the top on their list. The prone is the weakest area but there is a solution. If you can get a vest like a weesatch or any type of rig that has the mag slot built on the rig. That will keep it slim in the front as long as you keep all your extra pouches moved to the sides. Another option would be to go the route that i went and to buy a chest rig ( BHI chest rig, TT mav, or 2 peice MAV) and then instead of adding the big double or triple mag pouches, add the single mag shingles. This is what im talking about, Tactical tailor shingle, ESSTAC M4 mag wedges. The TT shingles at lightfighter will probably be a 3-4 week wait but i know that the ESSTAC pouches from Brassburn are in stock and ready to ship . And once again keep it to a single shingle in the front center and do all your adding on to the sides. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
avenge,
if you have regular monthly shoots ,like us in kaliban.
ya get to try out all sorts of gear and guns. my best rexommendation before ya spend the duckets for one and sell it a month later. it's also personal preference. the ciras looks and feels feakin awesome, but dont have the gumption just yet to pick one up. but got to try one out at the kail arfcom shoot, along with waa-weesatches, bhi strikes, etc....

bulgoki
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The prone? People still use that?  Just kidding.  On my IBA (point blank OTV) I have it set up like a chest harness (my personal favorite type of load bearing platform).  It works great for movement,, reloads, getting in and out of vehicles and most shooting postions.  Prone is a little more difficult, but if you dont have huge pouches on the front, it isnt too bad.  If you are wearing a LBV of some sort, and you have to go to the prone, you should be behind some sort of cover, so it shouldnt be too big of  a problem.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a TT shingle and an esstac double wedge. I love it.

I would reccomend not getting the triple, just too much bulk/weight.

Personally, I don't see the need to have dozens of mags for easy access. I figure 2 is fine. Plus I can always strap on pistol mags onto the wedges.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#5]
The only really comfortable ammo carrier is...well, there is none.  

Chest rigs work great for vehicle ops.  

LBE's (see SOE's lighfighter) work great for "green ops."  But can also be used for vehicle stuff without a buttpack.  

I recommend a PALS (MOLLE) chest rig and modular pouches.  The shingles are a good way to go, and if you want more mag capacity, there are plenty of 2 and 3 mag pouches available.  There are also lots of modular pouches available for medical kits, radios, etc.  

Make sure the chest rig has padded shoulder straps.  Plain straps will start to dig in and bite in short order.  

Going prone in this stuff is always shitty, but not too bad, and the chest rig actually seems to cushion a lot of the dings your body would normally take.  

I use a Practical Tactical MESA vest made by HSGI.  It actually rides more like a chest rig than a traditional vest but with more coverage of PALS webbing.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top