Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 5:51:52 AM EDT
What are the best nalgene bottles to get? Are darker bottles better (to prevent light), etc?

What is the best source for them?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]
i prefer the 32 oz one with the small mouth for drinking from, the standard/large one will spill all over you if you're moving while drinking from it. i have different bottles for different needs.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Just get the Nalgene brand ones, Nalge Nunc makes a good product.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i prefer the 32 oz one with the small mouth for drinking from, the standard/large one will spill all over you if you're moving while drinking from it. i have different bottles for different needs.

EMS, REI and others now produce a mouthpiece insert so you don't spill your water while drinking.  So if you want to ever go the the widemouth, look at picking one of these up.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

EMS, REI and others now produce a mouthpiece insert so you don't spill your water while drinking.  So if you want to ever go the the widemouth, look at picking one of these up.

i have one of the inserts i use in my widemouths and it works great, but i think it cost $2.95 at Big 5. rather buy another bottle with a small mouth.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The widemouth ones actually made by Nalgene Co. will definitely fit the water filters, extra caps, CamelBak-type hoses etc. that are designed for them.  

The Lexan bottles are better at not absorbing smell/taste, but IIRC don't do as well at extreme cold.  The Nalgene "nalgene" softer plastic ones are lighter, and some are soft enough to squeeze.  

Darker color will absorb heat better if you ever have to melt ice/snow in it.  

I've gotten a few from REI, and random ones from places I've visited.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Sierra Trading Post has them from time to time.

STP
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to everyone who replied. I found some really good suggestions.

I wound up ordering two of these:

AND two of (one of these, I don't remember which one now!!) these:

or

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#9]
where'd you order 'em from??
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The widemouth ones actually made by Nalgene Co. will definitely fit the water filters, extra caps, CamelBak-type hoses etc. that are designed for them.  

The Lexan bottles are better at not absorbing smell/taste, but IIRC don't do as well at extreme cold.  The Nalgene "nalgene" softer plastic ones are lighter, and some are soft enough to squeeze.  

Darker color will absorb heat better if you ever have to melt ice/snow in it.  

I've gotten a few from REI, and random ones from places I've visited.  

+1

My MSR water filter screws right on.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Which MSR filer do you use?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
where'd you order 'em from??

REI

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which MSR filer do you use?

I've had it a couple years, but I think it is called "waterworks".
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#14]
SO, um, at the risk of sounding stupid, what is the great obsession people have with Naglene bottles?  What does it do so much better than your standard 1 liter canteen?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I think the"obsession" with Nalgene bottles is just the latest trendy thing.  That said, I've used them for 15 years for several reasons:

-Lexan ones don't absorb taste or smell, and rinse clean easily
-don't leak
-Graduated on the side so you can measure liquid in/out
-wide mouth for easy cleaning and pouring in powder mixes
-virtually indestructable
-cheap compared to (civilian) canteens
-lightweight
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:44:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Minor technical note -

Nalgene is a brand name not a material.  The Nalgene bottles I like are are high density polyethylene; a translucent white plastic that is relatively soft and has an almost waxy feel.  

Lexan botlles are transparent and come in many, many colors, hence the trendiness.  Lexan is a brand name for what I believe is an acrylic or polycarbonate plastic.

I prefer the Nalgene HDPE bottles.  I have several that have been in use for over twenty years.  They do stiffen a bit when cold but remain flexible enough so they do not fracture.  They don't absorb odors.  They clean up very well.  That's why I like them.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Target has Eddie Bauer Lexan bottles
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I like the Lightfighter Nalgene bottles with the American flag on them.

www.lightfighter.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=LF-004!095&csurl=/istar.asp?a%3D3%26dept%3DLIGHTS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top