Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 161
Posted: 4/25/2011 4:25:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: the-answer-is-42]
Unless I've come down with a case of the 'tard, I can't for the life of me find a 'Post pics of your plate carrier setup' thread...? I searched with all my team powers but couldn't find one?

If there is none, I will post mine up and start one- or does anyone know where it went? I coulda sworn I've seen one?

ETA: Not talking about chest rigs, or 'gear' in general. I'm talking about strictly plate carriers.

ETA2: One other person can't find one either; so that must mean this is none! THIS IS NOW A PLATE CARRIER THREAD!

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Please BE SURE to post specs if you join in! Including Plates inside!

With chest rig attached:

Chest rig detached:

Velocity Systems LWPC in MC with two triple-curve plates by RMR tactical inside.

Chest rig is clipped on using the Velocity Systems 'Swift Clip' Attachment system. Chest rig is a TT mini-mav with a triple mag shingle, and two modded Eagle FB pistol mag pouches on each side (modded to fit double stack glock mags). Pouch in front is a MSM Admin pouch.

I LOVE this PC because I can not only have a chest rig attached, but also use it under clothing as a low-pro carrier.

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:46:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GingerShanks] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

What kind of level 4 ceramics and how much do they weigh per plate?

I really hate wearing anything on my belt. I don't even like wearing a pistol there, to be honest - in any kind of holster. I don't have a warbelt, so all of my experience is mounting whatever I need to mount on a belt, on the same one holding up muh drawz, and shit tends to fall down quicker when I do that no matter how tight I make the belt.

I'm going to disassemble everything before I leave for Nevada to do some training and actually weigh the individual pieces, now that I see how much lighter everyone else's shit is. That will let me know what to research and where I can cut weight off my setup. I honestly figured the bulk of the weight would be gone when I bought more expensive (and lighter) level III or IV plates, but reading the difference and then holding that amount in my hand in lead scuba weights, I'm a bit disinclined to believe that now.

Will probably swap the NAR IFAK for the HSGI Blowout pouch and put the bigger IFAK on my chest rig (it doesn't weigh much and is barely noticeable on there).

The TQ and pistol mag I want accessible with both hands, as I have personal experience with the whole "non working extremity" situation and it... sucks.

The only thing I want that I don't have on there is some sort of radio - the only reason I don't have it yet is I do not have anyone near me anymore who knows shit about comms, the only guy that had deep knowledge in that area moved across the country and the rest of the dudes I shoot/train with would probably be using FRS radios if the world ended tomorrow. LOL
View Quote

Level 4 ceramics from bulletproofme.com. Small sapi cut. If I recall they are 6ish lbs each. My belt is fairly light too. 2x pistol, 1x rifle, another TQ, hsgi blowout pouch, and a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By NIevo:
Anyone have some recommendations for a small but useful med pack?  The one I have is just to big and bulky for me.
View Quote

Are we talking ifak, or med bag?
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Doodles:

The BFG Micro Trauma Kit NOW! is the smallest I'm aware.

I put my blowout kit in a Condor tear away med pouch. Yeah, it's condor but I like it. YMMV.

I have a dedicated HSGI Taco TQ holder now so the med pouch is smaller than what it looks like here...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/485060/IMG_1575_JPG-1643078.jpg
View Quote

Doods is right, BFG is as small as you can go. A good one also, is the HSGI  bleeder blowout pouch.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

I'm going to disassemble everything before I leave for Nevada to do some training and actually weigh the individual pieces, now that I see how much lighter everyone else's shit is. That will let me know what to research and where I can cut weight off my setup. I honestly figured the bulk of the weight would be gone when I bought more expensive (and lighter) level III or IV plates, but reading the difference and then holding that amount in my hand in lead scuba weights, I'm a bit disinclined to believe that now.

Will probably swap the NAR IFAK for the HSGI Blowout pouch and put the bigger IFAK on my chest rig (it doesn't weigh much and is barely noticeable on there).

The TQ and pistol mag I want accessible with both hands, as I have personal experience with the whole "non working extremity" situation and it... sucks.

The only thing I want that I don't have on there is some sort of radio - the only reason I don't have it yet is I do not have anyone near me anymore who knows shit about comms, the only guy that had deep knowledge in that area moved across the country and the rest of the dudes I shoot/train with would probably be using FRS radios if the world ended tomorrow. LOL
View Quote
Good, I'm always testing and swapping gear around.  Pouches move easily enough that if someone suggests something and has a good reason, it might be worth giving it a chance.  It may be better.

The slightest weight savings multiplied numerous times adds up.  The lighter plates will help, but stick with what you feel you need.  I have the opportunity to get some L210s, which would save me a few pounds, but I don't know that it's worth it right now.

There is one question you need to constantly ask, and that a lot of people don't:

Do you really need XXX piece of equipment? I don't run side plates, because I don't feel I need them.  Could I catch a round in the side because of it? Sure.  But we're already planning for the .0001% chance of needing a PC, so why go the extra .000000000000001% for a minimal return?

As far as comms go.  Instead of relying on someone that you know to be the commo guy, why not become him? You've got plenty of people near you that know it....near to you through the internet.  People learn HAM shit through ARF or Youtube all the time and pass the exam.  Check out Ham Radio Crash Course on YT, and check out the HAM subforum here.  Be the guy, and then get your other guys to NOT use the Motorola blister packs anymore once YOU are the guy.

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tunatuk:

As far as comms go.  Instead of relying on someone that you know to be the commo guy, why not become him? You've got plenty of people near you that know it....near to you through the internet.  People learn HAM shit through ARF or Youtube all the time and pass the exam.  Check out Ham Radio Crash Course on YT, and check out the HAM subforum here.  Be the guy, and then get your other guys to NOT use the Motorola blister packs anymore once YOU are the guy.

View Quote

I gotta say, I highly agree with this. After buying a set of MURS radios (which turned out to be a waste), I started studying for my Tech license. Between YouTube videos and taking the free online practice tests over and over (and over and over...), I took the test in person, passed with a 34/35 and became my own comms guy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#6]
This is what I've been running this year, a few modifications or layout changes depending what I'm doing, but so far I dig it.

- Ferro Concepts Slickster
- Shaw Concepts shoulder pads
- Ferro Concepts turnover 556 elastic mag insert
- OR Spiritus systems MK4
- HSP hanger with medical insert
- LTC 26605 lvl4 triple curve/swimmer plates

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 4:02:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kidnap_44] [#7]
Just switched to Hesco L210's from 4401's.
What a difference in feel/weight.
Only 15.8lbs as is, AWS OCPC, and 3 loaded mags.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Gonna try out some Esstac pouches as a potential replacement to the tacos on my belt, and the ten speeds on my PC. Do I want the triple placard with swift clips, or a triple pouch with malice clips on my PC? Pros or cons of either?
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:
Gonna try out some Esstac pouches as a potential replacement to the tacos on my belt, and the ten speeds on my PC. Do I want the triple placard with swift clips, or a triple pouch with malice clips on my PC? Pros or cons of either?
View Quote

Ability to go slicker...if you want
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Placard just as solid?
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:
Placard just as solid?
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Daeodon
Lvl IV TSG plates
HSGI bleeder/ blowout
Two tqs
Every thing I need, nothing I don’t.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Disco32 has a BF sale starting  Wednesday midnight (I think, dates are screwed up in email), everything 10% off and some things 25%.  Can't find a list of what's on sale.  Antennas, Baofeng PTTs, etc.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#14]
https://doubletapsurplus.com/collections/plate-carriers

20 percent off THANKS20

They have a few APCs in large and and some LEPCs in stock, I got an LEPC for 145 for my first carrier, hopefully it will be a good choice.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Esstac sale is live, free front panels with plate carriers , some pouches. Kinda tempted by an ass now that it comes out to 175 for the carrier minus free front panel. Already ordered an lepc tho.

In case anyone is looking for one no more discounted front panel in stock
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By polishkebasa:
Esstac sale is live, free front panels with plate carriers , some pouches. Kinda tempted by an ass now that it comes out to 175 for the carrier minus free front panel. Already ordered an lepc tho.

View Quote

Yup, cancelled an order I made yesterday, and got the daeodon with L210's this morning. All esstac kit, all multicam. I am happy seeing they had daeodons, I thought I wouldn't get one.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Wife's frankenPC
BEEZ aptum front bag with Ferro rear bag and cbun. Medium ESAPIs.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By USAFtacFANAC:

Yup, cancelled an order I made yesterday, and got the daeodon with L210's this morning. All esstac kit, all multicam. I am happy seeing they had daeodons, I thought I wouldn't get one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Esstac is the best
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Also picked up a LEPC from Double Tap.  I also put in an order with Esstac for a front panel, some pouches, and a shooters belt.  Kinda wished I would have waited on the Esstac order, but so is life.  I think the LEPC will go nice with the Esstac front panel.  I'm going from a Slickster with 10x12 plates to the LEPC with 11x14 plates.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:11:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: polishkebasa] [#20]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

Esstac is the best
View All Quotes

Esstac is the best

Don't doubt it ,love my kwyis too bad my lepc already shipped  and I can't justify buying two carriers or spending more monies
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Don't doubt it ,love my kwyis too bad my lepc already shipped  and I can't justify buying two carriers or spending more monies
View Quote

Weak.
I got stuff for the wife. It's  an investment
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:58:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: polishkebasa] [#22]
Originally Posted By stoner01:

Weak.
View All Quotes

Weak.

I dont have a SO to share with .......But you got me you bastard, Since gear is in high demand I am going to justify that this a good time to try out and sell what I dont want.

Just to ask since I did not see it anywhere, is cumberbund sizing based on pants size or is it torso circumference.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 1:02:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiskersTheCat] [#23]

I dont got a have to share with .......But you got me you bastard, Since gear is in high demand I am going to justify that this a good time to try out and sell what I dont want.

Just to ask since I did not see it anywhere, is cumberbund sizing based on pants size or is it torso circumference.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/454522/Screenshot_2020-11-26_110014_png-1702595.JPG
View All Quotes

Weak.

I dont got a have to share with .......But you got me you bastard, Since gear is in high demand I am going to justify that this a good time to try out and sell what I dont want.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/454522/Screenshot_2020-11-26_110014_png-1702595.JPG

Torso.

Get Cobra buckles
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 1:02:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#24]
I hope these are really in stock like they claim. If so, great deal and just in time for chaos that is coming.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I ordered both sets but thinking about cancelling the U210 set.

Should I cancel the U210 plate set?
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 1:08:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: polishkebasa] [#25]

Torso

Get Cobra buckles
View All Quotes

Weak.

Torso

Get Cobra buckles

Thanks, looks like I fall right into M range so I ordered correct, I believe the ASS only comes with cobra buckles.

Link Posted: 11/26/2020 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Thanks, looks like I fall right into M range so I ordered correct, I believe the ASS only comes with cobra buckles.

View All Quotes

Weak.

Torso

Get Cobra buckles

Yep you're right I was thinking of Daeodon.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Torso.

Get Cobra buckles
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CapsFan:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/348420/DDFECEA2-6D62-4F61-BA36-69E34FDF91CE_jpe-1698059.JPG

Daeodon
Lvl IV TSG plates
HSGI bleeder/ blowout
Two tqs
Every thing I need, nothing I don’t.
View Quote

That looks ideal.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Esstac is the best
View Quote

I know, I know. I posted a pic in the belt thread about my setup, but I will get a family picture when it comes in.

You have cost me enough. Now I just need to sell some shit and get NVG's. (Not as high on the totem pole as I need to finish my last form 1 can soon.)
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:18:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Doodles] [#30]
Deleted mis-read post.

Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#31]

@PFran42 Yeah, something is off there.

The U210's price seems really high.

When Trex has them they are $370.00 per set (2ea).

Hesco L210 Special Threat Plate Set

Also the weight is off. The U210 large shooters cut plate weighs 5.5lbs.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/485060/Hesco-BI-L210_18110-1703330.jpg

The 3810's are inline and cheaper than Trex. Should be somewhere around $1k per set.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PFran42:
I hope these are really in stock like they claim. If so, great deal and just in time for chaos that is coming.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/Screenshot_20201126-104553_png-1702599.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/Screenshot_20201126-104659_png-1702600.JPG

I ordered both sets but thinking about cancelling the U210 set.

Should I cancel the U210 plate set?

The 3810's are inline and cheaper than Trex. Should be somewhere around $1k per set.

Those are L’s, not U’s
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
The L210 and U210 are different models. The U210 is indeed lighter (10x12 SC-L is 3.9lbs) while also being thinner, multi-curve, and rated against more exotic rounds like M855A1. It's not a cheap plate but it's pricier for a reason.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

U210 is WAY more expensive that L210. It has always been that way. The U210 is a lot lighter.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Trying to decide on my first plate carrier, as well as one for each of my family (Wife, daughter, Son).

Looking at CATI plates and haven’t decided on a carrier. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#35]

U210 is WAY more expensive that L210. It has always been that way. The U210 is a lot lighter.
View All Quotes

Yep.

You gain thin and great 556 performance but lose 308 rated like the 3810
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:54:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: polishkebasa] [#36]
Originally Posted By Caniac_Nation:
Trying to decide on my first plate carrier, as well as one for each of my family (Wife, daughter, Son).

Looking at CATI plates and haven’t decided on a carrier. Thoughts?
View Quote

Well I posted some good deals earlier on this page. I got an LEPC which is slimed down velocity systems apc for 145 from doubletap on the way as well as an esstac ass with their black friday deal that being a free 65 dollar front panel. Those are both considered good minimalist carriers, Other good low profile carriers with scalability seem to be the jpc 1 and 2 , the slickster, the lv119. There are some deals on heavier full scale carriers such as the regular deadon from esstac as well as the varrious deals on the lbt 6094s. The aws ocpc used to be a great price for a high quality 6094 clone but I saw they raised their price quite a bit.

Mind you this is all just me repeating info, I'm sure some one will give you some more informed info.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Hesco specs

Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By smokedoff:

Those are L’s, not U’s
View Quote

Ah good catch. 210 registered.

Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:08:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Doodles] [#40]

View Quote

Sorry I saw 210's and the price.

Disregard.

Shooo I'm glad I was wrong.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Yep.

View Quote

I'm a fan of the 3810's even over my L4 DFDR plates.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Ugh! I'm trying real hard to ignore that BF sale at Esstac
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

3810s are perfect for me but Scuba Steve loves his u210s and rolls light as fuck.

He's probably right. You'd only need 556 threat and furthermore you get really thin plates.

However for the same weight, I'll choose 3810s because 308 is a very common round.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Nutro:
Ugh! I'm trying real hard to ignore that BF sale at Esstac
View Quote

Just give in and join esstac master race
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

Yep.

All I ever heard from grunts was wearing body armor sucks, so my search for body armor began with finding the most comfortable gear out there. Settled on 5:11 Tac Tec pc and 3810s.

Been training in it for the last 2 months or so. Armor doesn't have to suck. I could wear this for days at a time, including sleep, without grumbling.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#46]
A friend told me that the military typically uses Condor carriers. Is he full of shit? I know nothing about carriers, etc.

Looking at starting with a Condo MOPC Modular Operator carrier with CATI steel plates. Any thoughts on this set up for a beginner who may never use it? Just looking to get something for STHF scenario.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#47]
A friend told me that the military typically uses Condor carriers. Is he full of shit? I know nothing about carriers, etc.

Looking at starting with a Condo MOPC Modular Operator carrier with CATI steel plates. Any thoughts on this set up for a beginner who may never use it? Just looking to get something for STHF scenario.
View Quote

Yes. And don't.  There are better options than condor. Try esstac.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#48]

Yes. And don't.  There are better options than condor. Try esstac.
View Quote

What are the benefits? What I am struggling with is the price difference.  $70 for Condor and $275 for Esstac and neither include plates? How could a "backpack" be that different? I am not an operater,  mil, or Leo. I may never put it on if the shit never hits the fan. I am buying for my entire family so price is a factor.

Educate me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

He is full of shit.

Most of the military is stuck using the standard issue options, which are the IOTV or SPCS carrier.  I'm not sure what the Marines use but I think its similar.

For the guys that do have a choice, Condor isn't common because they suck.  I see a lot of Crye JPCs, AWS, or LBT plate carriers in pictures.  I'm sure other reputable brands are in circulation as well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#50]

What are the benefits? What I am struggling with is the price difference.  $70 for Condor and $275 for Esstac and neither include plates? How could a "backpack" be that different? I am not an operater,  mil, or Leo. I may never put it on if the shit never hits the fan. I am buying for my entire family so price is a factor.

Educate me.
View Quote

Condor will fall apart.  Literally. There's a reason it's cheap. If you want to protect your family,  get a carrier from a reputable company like the ones listed above. You are behind the curve as it is by just now getting into that game. Don't make it worse by buying shit quality gear.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 161
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top