Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/6/2022 8:48:45 PM EDT
I like the 410, it's a versatile little round. How about you?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I am, I got this Winchester model 37 for the incredible sum of $40.  When I first got it, the extractor was broken, so you'd have to shoot, open the action then blow down the barrel.
After getting that fixed I took it out rabbit hunting, it took 7 rabbits with six rounds of #4 3" shells.  As ugly as it is, I'll never part ways with it.

Link Posted: 1/6/2022 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot trap with a CZ o/u in .410.   Love the gun..light gun, swings fast light recoil.

When I’m on I’m on, when I’m off I’m horrible.  1/2 oz 410 vs 1-1/8 oz in a 12…the extra 5/8oz gets me a few extra, but not many.

Only downer is the shell prices…although 12ga cost more for a case now than the last 410 I bought.   I shudder to think what 410 costs now!  $200+ ?   410 was $135/case when 12 was $60
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
My grandfather used to give me one 410 shell and send me into the woods behind the house. Bring something back for lunch and I'll give you another shotgun shell.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive always wanted one of the side gate loading 410 lever actions as just a general purpose fun gun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I had an old Stevens 410 side by side. I used to go on “Safari” with my double “rifle”. Stalking chipmunks and such dangerous game.
Was a fun time for a kid.
I’d really like to get another decent SxS 410 just for kicks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 410 is a fascinating round.

I had several bolt actions but the box mag fed and tube mag fed were always problematic. I wish I could find a tube fed in pristine condition that worked. Don’t know why just want one.

I have a Winchester 9410 lever. Boy that gun is a hoot. I would like to shoot a deer with it just because.

I had a 870. One of those guns I should not have sold but I never used it.

I still have a 1100. Now we are getting serious. Took many game birds with that gun. Also shot registered skeet with a set of 1100’s before I got my first tubed O/U.

And I have tubes for my skeet gun. But shooting 410 in a 10lbs gun is not the same as a true 410.

My kids shot a Mossberg 500 410 when they were kids. Boy they love that gun. Have two barrels for it, bird barrel and 18” barrel. Also have full size and youth stocks and a pistol grip.

Almost impossible to get shells today. Luckily I have a decent supply.

I have been using 28 gauge for birds as of late but I should break out the 410.
View Quote

Post some pics of the 9410! those are so cool and I don't see nearly enough of them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:17:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:20:33 AM EDT
[#9]
H&R single shot .410 was my first gun Dad bought me.  Took 3" shells.  The beautiful bluing on that gun.  Still have it.  Shot so many rabbits and doves with that gun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:36:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I've become a fan.  A friend gifted me a Stoeger side by side coach gun.  It's a load of fun.

Biggest problem is no ammo is available.

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:42:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I love my judge!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 6:46:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I love my super cheap turk youth model single shot.

Don’t care about it at all. Take it out in the nasty.

It goes bang and drops squirrels with #4s. If needed in a pinch it patterns ridiculously tight with federal 5p 000 buck. Keep a few of those in my pocket when out for squirrel in case I run into any varmints.

ETA: and the nephews love shooting it. Good deal for $90.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I shoot trap with a CZ o/u in .410.   Love the gun..light gun, swings fast light recoil.

When I’m on I’m on, when I’m off I’m horrible.  1/2 oz 410 vs 1-1/8 oz in a 12…the extra 5/8oz gets me a few extra, but not many.

Only downer is the shell prices…although 12ga cost more for a case now than the last 410 I bought.   I shudder to think what 410 costs now!  $200+ ?   410 was $135/case when 12 was $60
View Quote

You shoot regulaton 16 yard trap with a .410?

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had at least 1 or more .410's ever since I was was about 12 years old, started out with a Winchester bolt action, then a New England Firearms break open, and eventually a Mossberg 500 Pump.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I want a 410 ar upper that actually works
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I grew using only a 410 for hunting. I even used them for turkey hunting too. For a while, the only shotgun in the house was my dad's old Montgomery Ward Western Field single shot 410. And I still love my 410's to those day.  I keep my Mossberg 500 and Shockwave loaded with 3" 000 buckshot for HD/SD use. The old Western Field is full choke and has such a tight pattern that I actually got banned from using it at local turkey shoots while in high school. The guys with their fancy 12 gauges couldn't stand loosing to a teenager with a single shot 410.

I do want to get a semi auto and side x side 410 to round out the collection. I bought my Mossberg 500 back in 84-85 and it is still going strong after all these years and countless rounds fired. I also have a single shot NEF, Turkish O/U, and an old Mossberg 183K bolt action.

And before anyone says a 410 is no good for home defense, I did a lot of testing with my 3" 000 buckshot loads before deciding to go with them. The pellets leave the barrel at the same velocity as a 2 3/4" 12 gauge load. There is just 5 pellet versus 9 pellets. And 5 pellets of 000 buckshot stacked on top of each other keeps a really nice tight pattern out to 15 yards and opens up to about 12 " at 25 yard. That is with the 500 and 18" barrel. The Shockwave with its 14" barrel is the same out to 15 yards but will open up a little more at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#20]
While primers and powder are hard to find, it is well worth getting a MEC reloader if you plan on shooting a 410 much. I bought my MEC 600Jr in 96 and haven't looked back. I mostly reload 3" shells for hunting.

For those using a 410 for trap, that isn't the easiest thing to do. When I shot trap and skeet, I used the 410's for skeet only. I loved handing people my 410 after they would give me trouble about using it. Even the best shots with a 12 gauge would get humbled when using a 410.

I wouldn't mind a lever action or an AR upper (that works well) but the down side to both is they are chambered for 2 1/2" shells only.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Nothing wrong with 2 1/2 inch shells, there's some respectable loads for them. I have an older shotgun that only uses them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with 2 1/2 inch shells, there's some respectable loads for them. I have an older shotgun that only uses them.
View Quote
You are correct. With that I still prefer 3" shells for everything besides skeet shooting. In regulated skeet you are restricted to 1/2 ounce shot anyway so might as well stick with 2 1/2" shells for that.

I personally prefer the 11/16 or 3/4 ounce loads in 3" shells for everything else. Plus I can get more 000 buckshot pellets into a 3" shell. Yes I load my own 410 buckshot loads along with all my hunting loads.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A friend of mine turned me on to using #4’s in the 410. I had always used #6’s. For squirrels, pheasants, chucker, grouse, crows, porcupine, wood chuck, and other larger larger animals the 4’s really outperform 6’s and 7 1/2’s.

The smaller shot is good for clays, quail, woodcock, doves and all small birds. Walmart always had the 3” in 4,6 and 7 1/2 and 2 1/2” in #6 all reasonably priced. Those were the days.

Cool idea of keeping some buckshot in your pocket. Maybe you should add a couple of slugs.
View Quote

Yup, I believe that #4 is the way of enlightenment in quadrupeds. The shot really behaves much better in flesh.

You might be surprised how many squirrels I’ve skinned which have #6 or smaller stuck under their skin (which I killed with a 22).

The 410 doesn’t have as much horsepower, but it still gets the job done. Just need to be a bit closer, which is fine in the thick stuff where I’ll carry it.

I don’t bother with slugs, I have at least a 9mm on my hip, but that could be under some layers. The buck is plenty to me. Just a couple shells in an outside pocket. I keep my hunting shells in a 6pack size game bag either on the weak-hip or as a butt-pack.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I have always used 6 or 7 1/2 shot for small game hunting. It works well for squirrels rabbits, quail, and dove.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have always used 6 or 7 1/2 shot for small game hunting. It works well for squirrels rabbits, quail, and dove.
View Quote

I’d consider 5s or 6s in a pinch. I think a lot of people use them for turkey too, albeit in much stronger loads. I had some pretty good patterns with Federal Hi-Bird #5, but it required me to use an IC choke, opposed to my preferred MOD. The wad design wants a loose bore. I’d definitely use those on small game. Of course that was back when a fellow could just walk into the store and buy whatever shell he wanted. I haven’t seen any small game shells in quite some time. Thankfully I’m well stocked in all three gauges, and prefer to use a 22 anyway.

I hope to never be hungry enough to need to use 7.5 shot on small game. Made that mistake once. Felt terrible about the squirrel running off wounded, 20yd shot with a 12ga. He was perfectly centered in the pattern (ground shot). Always keep a handful of 4s with me while dove hunting now (it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s not legal in all states).

Normally 4s from a 12ga will put down squirrel at 35-40yds, 30-35yds with a 20ga, and 20-25yds with the 410. In 12 and 410 I typically use Win SuperX, and Rem XLRs in 20ga, namely out of what I can get my hands on. The Fed Game-Shok line is where I find the 1oz HV, and those do the best for me, but they’re rare (12ga). The Wins do better when I’m stuck with 1.25oz loads. Of course that’s just my barrels.

I try to find the higher velocity loads instead of the heavier payloads. It doesn’t seem to do much for pattern density having the extra pellets, but the extra velocity will help get exits. That bit more energy on the individual pellet really tends to drop them.

With the 410 having such a limited payload to start, and I respect it’s lesser capability, I don’t worry about finding HV shells and go for payload in those. Since I won’t be trying to reach out far, I want the pattern density.

Grab a box of 4s next time you find them to try. I assure you, the extra cost is absolutely worth it once you get out hunting.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'd consider 5s or 6s in a pinch. I think a lot of people use them for turkey too, albeit in much stronger loads. I had some pretty good patterns with Federal Hi-Bird #5, but it required me to use an IC choke, opposed to my preferred MOD. The wad design wants a loose bore. I'd definitely use those on small game. Of course that was back when a fellow could just walk into the store and buy whatever shell he wanted. I haven't seen any small game shells in quite some time. Thankfully I'm well stocked in all three gauges, and prefer to use a 22 anyway.

I hope to never be hungry enough to need to use 7.5 shot on small game. Made that mistake once. Felt terrible about the squirrel running off wounded, 20yd shot with a 12ga. He was perfectly centered in the pattern (ground shot). Always keep a handful of 4s with me while dove hunting now (it wouldn't surprise me if that's not legal in all states).

Normally 4s from a 12ga will put down squirrel at 35-40yds, 30-35yds with a 20ga, and 20-25yds with the 410. In 12 and 410 I typically use Win SuperX, and Rem XLRs in 20ga, namely out of what I can get my hands on. The Fed Game-Shok line is where I find the 1oz HV, and those do the best for me, but they're rare (12ga). The Wins do better when I'm stuck with 1.25oz loads. Of course that's just my barrels.

I try to find the higher velocity loads instead of the heavier payloads. It doesn't seem to do much for pattern density having the extra pellets, but the extra velocity will help get exits. That bit more energy on the individual pellet really tends to drop them.

With the 410 having such a limited payload to start, and I respect it's lesser capability, I don't worry about finding HV shells and go for payload in those. Since I won't be trying to reach out far, I want the pattern density.

Grab a box of 4s next time you find them to try. I assure you, the extra cost is absolutely worth it once you get out hunting.
View Quote

Well since I only use 3" 410 shells for hunting so I will stick with 6 or 7 1/2 shot. I've been using those shot sizes successfully for 40+ years. Plus I reload and 4 shot is such pain since it always bridges in the drop tube no matter what you do. I do have a bunch of 2 1/2" and 3" shells that I reloaded with 4 shot but I don't see enough of a difference in performance to deal with the bridging issues with 4 shot.

We had to hunt to help supplement our meals and the only shotgun in the house (until I bought my Mossberg 500) was the old Western Field single shot. That gun loaded with 6 shot took everything from rabbits, squirrels, quail, dove, and turkeys just fine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Did your Winchester bolt have fixed rifle sights on it??
View Quote

I'm pretty sure it had a bead sight but I haven't seen the gun in over 25 years since my father sold it. I was very young when we had it and don't remember the model number or anything specific about it. I DO remember losing the magazine tube for it one day and Dad was pretty pissed off then miraculously finding it in the woods the following day.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You shoot regulaton 16 yard trap with a .410?

View Quote

Yeah, used to shoot a lot at our local club, been a couple years.   When I was on my game I was a 23-24 shooter,  withe the 410, I would do 19-20.  I think 23 was my best round with the 410…on an off night…a lot worse!    I was a decent shooter until I had a retinal tear in my right/dominant eye.  Now I’ll shoot well, then I’ll start missing them and notice that I’m looking down the side of my barrel and my left eye took over.

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Got a .410 mossberg  for my oldest, he’s outgrown it I and really enjoy shooting it now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#31]
The NEF on the right is a .410:

I have a .410 adaptor for the 12 gauge NEF:

I also bought a .45 Colt/.410 barrel set for my Bond Arms derringer:

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well since I only use 3" 410 shells for hunting so I will stick with 6 or 7 1/2 shot. I've been using those shot sizes successfully for 40+ years. Plus I reload and 4 shot is such pain since it always bridges in the drop tube no matter what you do. I do have a bunch of 2 1/2" and 3" shells that I reloaded with 4 shot but I don't see enough of a difference in performance to deal with the bridging issues with 4 shot.

We had to hunt to help supplement our meals and the only shotgun in the house (until I bought my Mossberg 500) was the old Western Field single shot. That gun loaded with 6 shot took everything from rabbits, squirrels, quail, dove, and turkeys just fine.
View Quote

I wasn’t aware of such difficulties with loading that size shot. I only load metallic for now.

Interesting. Maybe the 6 does help in a 410, just to get more pellets down range.

I only have 3” shells in small pellets. Don’t think I’ve actually seen 2.5” birdshot on the shelf. The 000B are 2.5” though, labelled for “handgun” use.
Quoted:
The NEF on the right is a .410:

https://i.postimg.cc/TwQpKZ4Q/NEF-1.jpg

I have a .410 adaptor for the 12 gauge NEF:

https://i.postimg.cc/XvFkPgXR/C664-BAA4-E972-464-F-BA46-BDDFFEC11108.jpg

I also bought a .45 Colt/.410 barrel set for my Bond Arms derringer:

https://i.postimg.cc/kgLywHMN/9-C7-FC13-A-11-F5-4-DE0-BCEA-270061544-A82.jpg
View Quote

Velocity must be pretty limited with just a chamber adapter? Or is there a “barrel” section not shown?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I have this whole crazy ‘ting for all things .410

The history and parallel development of the cartridge is interesting and the modern load is an enigma. Discounted by the ignorant as a “kid’s gun” it offers more potential load energy than .45acp. It can be loaded light enough for a snake gun with minimal chance for ricochets, over-penetration or liability for errant shots, it can provide a new challenge for clay shooting experts. A child or someone with strength issues (like my 93yo mother) can wield it with confidence. I would never recommend it as a defensive round against two-legged predators (simply because much better choices are available) but with the right load, in the right gun and proper training, it could get the job done.

You can reload for about half the price of 12ga.

Most of all, it’s a FUN little shell that is both easy to shoot and challenging at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The reason I’m asking is when I was a young teen a friend gave me a Winchester model 41 single shot bolt action and it had fixed iron rifle sights. I liked the sights because I shot more stuff stationary than on the wing with it. I killed everything I could find with that gun. Loved it.

He showed up in my door step 20 years later and wanted his gun back. Of course I returned it. I have found model 41’s for sale but they are either beat to death or priced very high.

I had several others over the years with box mags and tube mags that were POS. I would like a tube mag that actually worked. I’m bidding on one now on GB but the price will probably go higher than I want.

View Quote

I keep my eyes peeled whenever stopping in my LGS, kind of gave up trying to find deals on GB because everything sells for higher than I'm willing to pay.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I wasn't aware of such difficulties with loading that size shot. I only load metallic for now.

Interesting. Maybe the 6 does help in a 410, just to get more pellets down range.

I only have 3" shells in small pellets. Don't think I've actually seen 2.5" birdshot on the shelf. The 000B are 2.5" though, labelled for "handgun" use.
View Quote

Yes anything bigger than 6 shot is a pain to load due to bridging. And I can tell when I need to clean the drop tube when even 6 shot will start to bridge.

Even with buckshot I still prefer the 3" shells. I load my own 000 buckshot with 5 pellets. I did reload some with 00 buckshot. The 00 buck does better out of my full choke barrel while the 000 does better out of my cylinder bore barrels.

You can find 2 1/2" hunting loads but they aren't as common as  3" hunting loads. Most 2 1/2" shot shells are meant for skeet shooting. The 410 is restricted to 1/2 loads for formal skeet competitions.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#36]
i have shot .410 on the range but I do not recall hunting with one.  12, 20, 28 I have shot birds and rabbits.  

I confess I have coveted a wing master .410 but shy away from an express or a M500.  About three years ago a local shop had a traded in series of Browning pumps, 10,12, 16 iirc, 20 which had the most use, and 28 and a .410.  I bought the BPS 410 but have never shot it.  I have one box of AAs that were given to me and a box of federal hunting loads.  

I much prefer taking squirrels with a .22 so it never sees the time it deserves.  I need to take about 3/4” off the stock.  Browning always stocks their shotguns too long.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Hunted everything from Dove to Deer with a 410 back when I lived in Ohio.

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah, used to shoot a lot at our local club, been a couple years.   When I was on my game I was a 23-24 shooter,  withe the 410, I would do 19-20.  I think 23 was my best round with the 410…on an off night…a lot worse!    I was a decent shooter until I had a retinal tear in my right/dominant eye.  Now I’ll shoot well, then I’ll start missing them and notice that I’m looking down the side of my barrel and my left eye took over.

View Quote

We will occasionally have a .410 16 yard trap fun event.  Buy in will be like $5.00, winner buys the beer afterwards.  Usually someone will score in the low 20's to win it.

I only have skeet chokes for my .410 tube set.  Makes it a bit more difficult.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#40]
I keep eyes open for them whenever I am in a shop.  I have a... God, probably seventy five year old Stevens that my Dad learned on which was my first shotgun, I busted clays as a kid with it off the edge of the ridge into the pasture below the house.  
I love 410
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have this whole crazy ‘ting for all things .410

The history and parallel development of the cartridge is interesting and the modern load is an enigma. Discounted by the ignorant as a “kid’s gun” it offers more potential load energy than .45acp. It can be loaded light enough for a snake gun with minimal chance for ricochets, over-penetration or liability for errant shots, it can provide a new challenge for clay shooting experts. A child or someone with strength issues (like my 93yo mother) can wield it with confidence. I would never recommend it as a defensive round against two-legged predators (simply because much better choices are available) but with the right load, in the right gun and proper training, it could get the job done.

You can reload for about half the price of 12ga.

Most of all, it’s a FUN little shell that is both easy to shoot and challenging at the same time.
View Quote

I’d like a .410 shockwave in marine finish. Loaded with 2.5” 000B, and a saddle of #4 for critters. Seems like a good house gun, especially with a fairly small lady at home.
Quoted:

Yes anything bigger than 6 shot is a pain to load due to bridging. And I can tell when I need to clean the drop tube when even 6 shot will start to bridge.

Even with buckshot I still prefer the 3" shells. I load my own 000 buckshot with 5 pellets. I did reload some with 00 buckshot. The 00 buck does better out of my full choke barrel while the 000 does better out of my cylinder bore barrels.

You can find 2 1/2" hunting loads but they aren't as common as  3" hunting loads. Most 2 1/2" shot shells are meant for skeet shooting. The 410 is restricted to 1/2 loads for formal skeet competitions.
View Quote

I didn’t know you could only use 2.5” for formal competition.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Skeet is limited to 1/2 oz. Of shot in .410 competitions.  No need for 3" shells.   From a patterning perspective the 3" shells have a long shot column relative to the diameter.  Usually that kind of shot column leads to poor patterns.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#43]
If not for some stupid gun laws, I would love a cut down 410 as a pistol. Not going through all the NFA stuff that costs more than the gun.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
@mic214 how do you like the performance of those chamber inserts? I've seen them for years and have thought about getting one but doubts about patterns and performance always hold me back.
View Quote

Here is a pattern I did at 25 yards on a super windy day with the .410 insert. I think it worked pretty well. I haven't had a chance to shoot it with the .45 Colt ammo or the .357 insert.

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
From a patterning perspective the 3" shells have a long shot column relative to the diameter.  Usually that kind of shot column leads to poor patterns.
View Quote
Unless things have changed with factory loads, both 2 1/2" and 3" shells use the same shot cup. 410 shells use a shot cup and not a true cushion wad like other shot shells.  And aside from Ballistics Products, all other brand 410 shot cups are the same no matter if you are loading 2 1/2" or 3" shells.

As far as patterns go, it depends on the brand of ammo and also the individual shotgun.  The old Western Field single shot 410 I grew up with full choke holds a very tight pattern. I actually got banned from using it at turkey shoots when I was in high school. I was beating guys with their expensive purpose built 12 gauge shotguns. And my Mossberg 500 with its full choke does well for all of my hunting needs. It is fine for squirrels, running rabbits  along with dove and quail.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#46]
My Mossberg 500E .410 came with a 24" fixed modified choke barrel, I have been trying for over 2 years to get a 18.5" cylander bore barrel for it to no avail.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My Mossberg 500E .410 came with a 24" fixed modified choke barrel, I have been trying for over 2 years to get a 18.5" cylander bore barrel for it to no avail.
View Quote
The Mossberg 500E (410) 24" barrel has always been a fixed full choke. They never came with any other choke from the factory.

You just have to keep an eye out for the 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. Sign up for email notifications with Mossberg and online vendors. It took me even longer to buy one. I was able to buy directly from Mossberg in April of 2020.

https://www.mossberg.com/store/500-410-bore-security-barrel-18-5-blued-6-shot-10003.html  Make sure to click on the notify me link.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Skeet is limited to 1/2 oz. Of shot in .410 competitions.  No need for 3" shells.   From a patterning perspective the 3" shells have a long shot column relative to the diameter.  Usually that kind of shot column leads to poor patterns.
View Quote

Also, 3 inch “Magnum” .410 shells are not like “Magnum” pistol cartridges. The payload is increased at the expense of muzzle velocity giving lower PER PELLET energy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If not for some stupid gun laws, I would love a cut down 410 as a pistol. Not going through all the NFA stuff that costs more than the gun.
View Quote

You can buy a Pedersoli Howdah as a Title 1 pistol (non-NFA)

If you don’t want to spend that money, you can find a S&W Governor

If you want something cheaper, a BOND ARMS “Rowdy” may scratch the itch
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Also, 3 inch "Magnum" .410 shells are not like "Magnum" pistol cartridges. The payload is increased at the expense of muzzle velocity giving lower PER PELLET energy.
View Quote
True but it isn't much difference and I doubt that small game will notice the difference. We can use Winchester Super X 410 shells for an example. The 2 1/2" 1/2 ounce  Super X shells are advertised at 1245 fps while the 3" 11/16 ounce load is advertised at 1135 fps and 3" 3/4 ounce load is advertised at 1100 fps.

When comparing the Winchester Super X 410 000 buckshot loads the 3" 5 pellet load is 1135 fps and the 2 1/2" 3 pellet load is at 1300 fps.

Other brands might be different. I used Winchester Super X since it is the most common.

All information was taken from the Winchester website.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top