Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2019 11:13:19 PM EDT
All,

Looking into getting a budget friendly 12 ga. I have gift cards to use at Academy and am comparing the Remington Express 870 model 25077 vs the Mossberg 590 model 50778. Please let me know your thoughts.

Remington

Mossberg
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I've owned the Remington 25077 and a Mossberg 590, although not that particular model.

My opinion: they're both good, reliable shotguns.

Some considerations, depending on what's important to you:

Remington 25077: smooth action.  Has a nice heft to it.  I don't know what the finish was, but it was superior to the typical bead-blasted bluing of the typical Express model.  The one-piece six-shot magazine tube eliminates the possibility of causing a hitch in feeding by improperly attaching an extended magazine tube.  The only downside is that the magazine tube is longer than the standard 4-shot 870 mag tube so you're not going to be able to swap out for a different style of barrel.  If you don't see yourself ever wanting to swap out barrels, there's no reason not to get the 25077. The buttstock is the typical ~14" length of pull.  If you want to swap for a shorter conventional buttstock, youth stocks are relatively available.  Some people don't like that the elevator / shell lifter's resting position is in the down position because they find it more difficult to reload the magazine quickly; others like it because it helps keep junk out of the action.  The magazine tube is brazed to the receiver and the ejector is riveted to the receiver.  If you ever need to service either of those items you'll pretty much have to send them back to Remington or find a gunsmith who knows what he's doing (not a glorified parts-swapper).  IIRC, the extractor is MIM.  This does not appear to be a common failure point, but you can get a non-MIM extractor and it's very easy to swap out.  The control layout may not be ideal for most people, but it shines if you're using a pistol grip.

Mossberg 590:  not to be confused with the 590A1, this is just a 500 with a different magazine tube and a lightweight barrel.  The action is OK, but it will never be as smooth as an 870.  Lighter weight.  The "matte blue" finish is just bead-blasted bluing.  All parts are stupid-easy to swap out and it is 100% owner-maintainable.  The buttstock is the typical ~14" length of pull.  If you want to swap for a shorter conventional buttstock, it's a PITA to find one.  Some people like that the elevator / shell lifter's resting position is in the up position because it helps to facilitate quick reloading of the magazine.  Unless you're using a pistol grip, the control layout is probably easier for most people.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Mossberg 590 all day over the 870. Older Remington shotguns were good, but the newer ones have qc issues. The maverick 88 is also an option of you're on a budget. It's made by mossberg,  and can use a lot of stuff for the mossberg 500.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Having fired both, I would choose the 590. The controls are placed so a right or left handed person can operate the weapon with one hand. Remington 870s of today are not the 870s that Remington built their reputation on, especially the Express models. Also, the shell lifter staying up on the Mossberg 590 is a real advantage for me, having once attempted to load an 870, not pushing the shell fully into the tube (stressed) and having the shell pop back out and get stuck between the bottom of the bolt and the shell lifter. Required disassembly. Not fun.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you plan to do with the shotgun? If home defense only then either will do just fine. If you may hunt with it the 870 is the factory long pattern mag tube and you can't get any barrels for it besides the tactical one that came on it. With the 590 Mossberg 835 barrels will fit to hunt with.
View Quote
I want aware of the barrel issue with that 870. Almost makes the decision for me. I dont own any shotguns and the ability to change to a hunting barrel is nice.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Having fired both, I would choose the 590. The controls are placed so a right or left handed person can operate the weapon with one hand. Remington 870s of today are not the 870s that Remington built their reputation on, especially the Express models. Also, the shell lifter staying up on the Mossberg 590 is a real advantage for me, having once attempted to load an 870, not pushing the shell fully into the tube (stressed) and having the shell pop back out and get stuck between the bottom of the bolt and the shell lifter. Required disassembly. Not fun.
View Quote
Either it wasn't a 12 gauge shotgun or it was an older 870.  Flexitab has been standard on all 12 gauge 870s since the mid-1980s, allowing clearing without disassembly.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#9]
The barrel issue on the Remington: you should be able to make an adapter, if one doesn't already exist, that would allow you to mount normal 870 barrels on that gun, just like how you can use them on NEF pardner shotguns.

I'm surprised that people are saying the Remington is smoother. In my experience I own one 870 express and mossbergs from Maverick 88, to Mossberg 500, to 590 shockwave. I'd take any Mossberg over the Remington. My Remington even gets Winchester shells jammed in the chamber. To me the Remington is the roughest shotgun I've owned. I prefere the safety location of Mossberg or Maverick. Remington has the worst safety location, imo.

You should be able to put a 835 barrel on that Mossberg as long as you only use 3" or less shells. (Verify, I've never actually done it)
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#11]
For that money you could buy a used 870 Police or 870 Wingmaster cop gun. That's what I would do . . .

<-------- dumbass
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

He got a hefty academy gift card so he's limited to what they carry there.
View Quote
Reading is fundamental . . .
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 2:13:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I’d get a Mossberg 500 if I wanted to buy new.

IME new Mossberg 500s are pretty much the same as old 500s, whereas New 870s are hit and miss quality wise.  I like buying old 870s, but OP needs to buy new.

500 is a perfectly workable budget, all purpose shotgun, and lots of used barrels are out there that can be had for cheap.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the input gents. I think I'm going with the 590.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I got here a bit late but good choice. A nice 870 with a nice finish (like the Police or Wingmaster) is a great shotgun. But if you live in a humid environment, allow condensation or precipitation to sit on it, or store the gun in a case the finish on the 870 Express is prone to rusting in my experience.

Probably fine for a home defense shotgun in Texas but it may give you some trouble if you're using to fight off sharks or trekking through a rainforest.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That does work but there is nothing more janky to me than a piece of pvc water pipe cut to fit so a standard barrel fits a bastard pattern gun. I wouldn't do or recommend it. To me it's like that picture of the Russian guys with a log wedged in the back axle instead of a rear wheel. Yea it works but....
Maybe some of the custom shops like Nordic could make a nice machined adaptor but it would cost more than a pardner is worth. I swear I can't figure why the nef was made differently. The 870 design patents are older than the AR patents. Anyone could copy the 870 at this point.
I don't know why Remington made that oddball tactical model mag tube. It isn't like everyone is actually having feeding problems with their mag extension.
View Quote
To make matters even more interesting "NEF" is now owned by the same company as Remington. If you go to Wal-Mart and look at the NEF pardner the tag says "Remington" on it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The barrel issue on the Remington: you should be able to make an adapter, if one doesn't already exist, that would allow you to mount normal 870 barrels on that gun, just like how you can use them on NEF pardner shotguns.

I'm surprised that people are saying the Remington is smoother. In my experience I own one 870 express and mossbergs from Maverick 88, to Mossberg 500, to 590 shockwave. I'd take any Mossberg over the Remington. My Remington even gets Winchester shells jammed in the chamber. To me the Remington is the roughest shotgun I've owned. I prefere the safety location of Mossberg or Maverick. Remington has the worst safety location, imo.

You should be able to put a 835 barrel on that Mossberg as long as you only use 3" or less shells. (Verify, I've never actually done it)
View Quote
You can. I've seen 835 barrels attached to 500s as well, with a cobbled up spacer and bolt for the mag tube. Ugly but it works. 590/835 is easier(same mag tube/cap) is much easier and the only issue is you can't use 3 1/2" magnums. Great to keep in mind if you have a 590 and run into a sweet deal on a 835 barrel.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Hawk 982 with Ghost Ring Sights is a hell of a deal if you can still find them. Pretty much an 870 clone but they seem to have dried up. Same factory as Pardner Pumps (Hawk/Norinco)
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I prefer the Remington action and safety...   But wouldn't dare buy anything of theirs that was made in the last 20 years.

The Mossy is the safe bet between the two.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I prefer the Remington action and safety...   But wouldn't dare buy anything of theirs that was made in the last 20 years.

The Mossy is the safe bet between the two.
View Quote
I wouldn’t buy an Express without being able to look it over first.  I might buy a Police Magnum.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#23]
It seems as if I have always had a 500 in the stable, I currently have a .410, 20 gauge as well as a 12 gauge.  They are good guns, they do their job and they are not flashy, what more could you want in a shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I wouldn’t buy an Express without being able to look it over first.  I might buy a Police Magnum.
View Quote
It's not the model I don't trust...  It's Cerberus Capital Management...  Also know as freedom group... Also known now as Remington Outdoor Group.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm kind-of in the same boat. I need a 12ga pump because every home should have one. Thinking of picking up the 500 12ga Bantam Youth. Shorter LOP, 24" VR bbl. Can leave as-is for hunting/trap or pick up a cheap 18.5" bbl for HD. They are under $300 new. Going to hit some pawn shops before I buy new though, since they are usually full of Mooseborgs.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm kind-of in the same boat. I need a 12ga pump because every home should have one. Thinking of picking up the 500 12ga Bantam Youth. Shorter LOP, 24" VR bbl. Can leave as-is for hunting/trap or pick up a cheap 18.5" bbl for HD. They are under $300 new. Going to hit some pawn shops before I buy new though, since they are usually full of Mooseborgs.
View Quote
Ah, the Mossberg 52132.

I had one years ago.  Nice little shotgun, very handy for a 12 gauge, doesn't look all Tactical Timmy.  Sold it off to help fund something else that I've since forgotten about.  I've been debating picking one up.  Where are you seeing new ones under $300?  The closest I've found is about $318.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ah, the Mossberg 52132.

I had one years ago.  Nice little shotgun, very handy for a 12 gauge, doesn't look all Tactical Timmy.  Sold it off to help fund something else that I've since forgotten about.  I've been debating picking one up.  Where are you seeing new ones under $300?  The closest I've found is about $318.
View Quote
gun.deals  Cheapest is $298, but it's closer to $315 w/ shipping. I've never hunted anywhere warm with a shotgun so I like a short LOP on a stock to accommodate for wearing a thick coat. I also have two boys coming up that will be able to make good use of a shorter pump shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#29]
might consider a Winchester 12 gauge ., lots of choices.

this?

Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#30]
The Winchester SXP Defender certainly is attractive price-wise.  I'm just not crazy about Turkish-made firearms in general.  Also, I wonder if the polymer of the feed throat has been changed.  On the old 1300s the polymer feed throats could crack / crumble (I think this was ascribed to the use of chlorinated brake cleaner or similar cleaning chemicals).
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
might consider a Winchester 12 gauge ., lots of choices.

this?

View Quote
Or you can buy the Stevens clone of a 1300 for about half of the price of a Turkish Winchester.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have purchased two Remington rifles in the last two years and it looks as if they solved their quality control issues.
View Quote
Glad to hear they're getting their act together... But that whole "fool me once" thing is still leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.  I sent no less than 7 Remington's back to the factory before swearing them off.

I'll check back on them in a few more years and see what the internet buzz has to say...
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Or you can buy the Stevens clone of a 1300 for about half of the price of a Turkish Winchester.
View Quote
I think I’d still pick Turkish over Chinese.  If I was in that price neighborhood I’d probably pick up a Mossberg Maverick (at least some Mexican parts, but assembled just over the border in Texas).
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#34]
For the amount of money you're spending, I'd get either a Tac 14 or a Shockwave.

Really don't lose that much velocity wise, but it's much easier to manipulate in tight
quarters for defensive purposes. Plus, accessories are a lot easier to find for either
weapon, and the possibility that maybe someday you'd want to file the paperwork
and SBR it, or maybe get a brace for it, might be better. The off brands are going
to leave you wanting in that area.

otherwise, I'd probably get a Remington 870. Not the tac version or anything else.
Mostly because of balance and feel. The Mossberg always felt nose heavy to me.

PLus, if you're ever going to use a pistol grip for it, then the safety is much easier
to access. If you're going with a straight stock, then maybe the Mossberg safety
is better.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 2:21:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Double tap
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 2:22:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think I’d still pick Turkish over Chinese.  If I was in that price neighborhood I’d probably pick up a Mossberg Maverick (at least some Mexican parts, but assembled just over the border in Texas).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh most of these Chinese Shotguns are Hawk/Norinco. I'd take those over the "Halal" Shotguns any day.

I really like my Hawk 982. The turkish shotguns I've messed with don't do anything for me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Recent Remingtons are fine.  They did have some tough years but the last 1-2 years they have really improved.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I’m I allowed to post a link here?
My local gun store in Ohio has Mossberg #50670 for $349.99. You can order online and they ship!
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:13:24 AM EDT
[#41]
If you're not opposed to a semi auto, you can get a stoeger m3000 for a decent price.  It's a knockoff of the benelli. So good, benneli bought them, and our local 3gunner used them in competition.

I just added a 6 shot extension tube so now I'm at 10+1
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:38:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If you're just passing along a deal you know of you can post it.
If you're the owner or an an employee of said business you need to contact [email protected] and get their blessing first.
View Quote
Cool!

https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/214268/50670/mossberg-590-12-gauge-9-shot-tri-rail-tactical-shotgun
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
For the amount of money you're spending, I'd get either a Tac 14 or a Shockwave.

Really don't lose that much velocity wise, but it's much easier to manipulate in tight
quarters for defensive purposes. Plus, accessories are a lot easier to find for either
weapon, and the possibility that maybe someday you'd want to file the paperwork
and SBR it, or maybe get a brace for it, might be better. The off brands are going
to leave you wanting in that area.

otherwise, I'd probably get a Remington 870. Not the tac version or anything else.
Mostly because of balance and feel. The Mossberg always felt nose heavy to me.

PLus, if you're ever going to use a pistol grip for it, then the safety is much easier
to access. If you're going with a straight stock, then maybe the Mossberg safety
is better.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#45]
I've had a Mossy 500 with pistol grip for thirty years. Never had an issue. Is it beat to shit? Yep. Do I trust it? Yep. It lives in my truck and If it gets stolen I'll be more concerned about repairing my truck and finding my Boxer who lives in the truck too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Picked up a Steven 320 Monday at academy... Was 206 bucks out the door...   Shot the loving piss out of it yesterday. It ran like a top... And feels good while doing it.   Got the pistol grip, 18.5, bead sight version...

Bought it on a whim, and mostly because it was on sale cheap...  But damn, it sure does seem solid for 2 bones.

...just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Having tinkered with 870 vs. the 500, I prefer the 500.
Easier to work on and it seems there are more accessories available.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Cool!

https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/214268/50670/mossberg-590-12-gauge-9-shot-tri-rail-tactical-shotgun
View Quote
That's a nice deal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
I love me some old 870 Wingmasters but buying new I would go with the Mossberg. Good call on your part.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top